Myomectomy recovery advice/tips

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello all!

I'm flooding this forum lately and I applogize! 

Can everyone whos been through a Myomectomy or Hysterectomy (whether open or laproscopic) please share recovery tips here?

My surgery is in 2 weeks and I've received tons of great advice so far. Just to name a few....

-Purchase a "husband pillow"  or "boyfriend pillow" or whatever you want to call it-  those pillows with the arm rests that are designed for bedrest

-Elevate my LOW bed.  I love my low profile box-spring and I love my bed being low so much, that it's not even on a bed frame!  But I have to change that. I've had several post-op ladies tell me that the last thing I'm going to want is to have to use my ab muscles to get up out of a LOW bed.   So I'm going to put my bed on a frame..  like I should have already any way

-Bring a pillow to the hospital for the car ride home. Apparently I will need this.  Any special type of pillow or will a bed pillow be ok?

-Make sure to have netflix or hulu or some type of TV service because apparently I'm going to be booooored

PLEASE share any tips or advice thatyou have for recovery in this discussion! 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi girl x im 3 weeks into recovery after a total hysterectomy and i feel good im just getting out and walking for about 30min. Iv also stoped taking pain meds i was so bunged up i couldnt manage to go to toilet but about week after giving up pain meds finaly i managed to go if your bed is low yiu wont manage up from it. Just trust your judgment and you will be fine
  • Posted

I would suggest some peppermint tea also, I had terrible wind after my TAH 12 weeks ago and the tea really helped. They also say chewing gum can help with constipation but I was taking a lactulose solution given to me by the hospital. I loved my V pillow (which is probably the same as the boyfriend pillow) and still use it now even though I probably don't need it. Wishing you all the best for your surgery. 

• Posted

Oo I haven't heard of it being called a V pillow-  I wonder if it is the same.  Thank you!!!

• Posted

Hi

I agree with all of the above , I had a total hysterectomy and removal of ovaries due to fibroids and 16cm cyst. Had a bikini line incision. 

Take into hospital huge comfy cotton knickers that will not aggravate any scars, they feel weird at first but are soon strangely comforting !

Light cotton nightdress in hospital will keep you cool. Drink loads of water after the op, it will help things get back to normal.

Please make sure you have helpful friends and family around for the first couple of weeks. I am not one to ask for help, but was so gladI did. 

The hystersister website is fantastic for more advice and info.

Sending best wishes

Maria

• Posted

Thank you for your response!  I will definitely bring some comfy knickers and a light night dress!   and I'm going to check out the hystersister website today. Thanks a lot! smile

• Posted

This is the list I had for my open myomectomy from a year ago.

Large pants

Loose clothing

Sanitary Pads

Cushion

Mints

Prunes

Wipes

Slip on Shoes

Its also a good idea to eat a balanced diet and exercise before the surgery, as the fitter you are before surgery, the quicker your recovery.

Also take the painkillers as prescibed even if you do not feel pain as its not just for managing pain, its also for managing inflamation.

Use cushionto support your abodomen when travelling by car or when you need to cough or laugh

Follow the advice given for when you can start to exercise, walking is essential, so even short walks are important after the surgery. Swimming or walking in water is also useful once you have been permission to do so as it strengthens the uterus.

Follow the physio you are given to do by your hospital e.g. pelvic floor exercise.

Diet is also important after surgery for healing, so quality protein, fruit and veg.

Prepare youself physically, mentally and spiritually.

Best of luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.