Nalmefene - family, progress etc

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi All, as some of you will already know I have been taking nalmefene for 4 months now, however, because I do not drink everyday I only take at weekends.  I have seen a change for the better, an overall reduction in unit intake a slowing down in consumption, but still have at least one night a weekend where my intake is too high and I want to know if there is more I should be doing to help myself.  Also my catalist was a family party (yet another where I blacked out after about 4 hours but was there for another 5 hours making an arse of myself and insulting/upsetting people) my family dont know that it caused my to seek help and are still really cross/upset threatening a blanket ban on all further invitations.  I dont know how to explain why I couldnt help my behaviour or really how the sinclair method works, especially to my 80 year old mother.  Any suggestions or help on either topic would be gratefully appreciated.  Thank you all for you support.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello, Can I ever relate to your post!  I have been taking Silencro for two and a half weeks now, as an attempt to stop/cut back on drinking.  I, too, have been in similar family situations, and have a family function to go to this coming weekend.  I am very afraid of how it may turn out.  I do not want to drink excessively but I know everyone else there will be pounding them back all evening.  The biggest challenge in my efforts to stop drinking are the times when I'll be surrounded by other drinkers.  I hope I can hold my own without being the 'killjoy', but a the same time, I don't look forward to being the only sober one.  I'm dreading this occassion on all accounts.
    • Posted

I'll be around all weekend if you wanted to let off some steam, or just get some positive support.

Events like this are a nightmare in the early days of any treatment!  I really sympathise with you.

Will PM you my phone number!

• Posted

Hi, has the selincro been working for you so far.  If it has you might be OK as you will be drinking much slower than before and able to pace yourself better, so you might still end up drunk but it will be at 11 rather than 8.30 so at the same time as everyone else.  I wish you luck but really hope you dont need it!
    • Posted

Hi em95586,  Thanks for your words of support.  The method seems to be working for me so far.  Yesterday was the first day that I let myself have more than three drinks, however.  I wanted to 'test the waters' so to speak, before next weekend's party.  Yesterday we went to aFrench friend's for a family lunch which included aperatifs, starter, barbeque, cheese, dessert with champagne, etc.  I had a total of 6 drinks over six hours, and felt tipsy the whole day, but not drunk.  However, I had a lot of hot-sweats during the night and this morning I felt physically dreadful, as well as anxious and guilty.  Was this because of the Selincro I took, or was my body just not used to the alcohol anymore?  I'm not sure.  I do hope I can manage next weekend's party better than yesterday's, but the crowd will be heavier drinkers and there will be less food and more 'party', and it will be going on all weekend, as well. This is going to be a true test both physically and psychologically/socially.  I hope I can be good company sober.

• Posted

Hi JoannaC3, Thanks so much for your support!  I'm determined to make it through this weekend, and will call if needed.  You're great for offering! 

• Posted

Good to see that you are seeing improvements using Selincro, Em.  Your longer term improvements may be slower than those who drink most days a week though.

A good idea is to learn how to really listen to the signals your brain is giving you whilst drinking on Selincro.  Since the endorphins are being blocked and you are not getting that high, then excess drinking on Selincro is often due to other reasons - habit, stress, parties etc.

To do this, have a pen and paper handy and jot down your feelings as you take the first drink or two using Selincro.  You don't have to write it down, but I find it helps focus your brain.

So, does it feel good?  Are you getting any high from it?  Is it any different to drinking soda?  That type of thing.

After doing this a few times, at some point, you should begin to see that continued drinking to excess is pretty pointless.  This is the point at which you need to realise that you have had enough and to put the drink down.  Do something else, or have a glass of coke.  Anything that reinforces the fact that you made a decision not to continue drinking.

There is a Sinclair Method documentary that is about 50 minutes long and explains what TSM is.  Google Watch One Little Pill and you will find it.  It can be downloaded for about £3.  It's well worth a watch and then after you have seen it, you can decide if you think it will be good for your mother.  This way, you won't have any explaining to do, but the documentary should lead you to a very positive discussion with your mum as it shows that this is a medical problem that can be solved by a medicine but that the method takes a little time to work.

If you wanted any support, feel free to contact me.  Google C Three Europe and my website will come up.  I run a non-profit organisation to help raise awareness and support those on The Sinclair Method.

PS,  When I told my family I was on TSM, it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!  I think on some level there was relief that perhaps I had found something that would work for me.  It turned out they were not angry with me as such, but concerned and worried about me.

• Posted

I just wanted to post a positive update.  I went to a party on Saturday night and managed with my selincro to drink a reasonable amount.  I remembered everything and was even sober enough to have a pleasant night cap when we got home!  I hope this is my corner and sensible drinking is on its way in time for Christmas.  Thank you as always for all your support :-)

• Posted

Hi Em, brilliant to hear.

If you google the C3 Europe site, and then look on the left hand side menu for Joanna's TSM Journey, you will find an entry that I wrote for my first christmas on this method.  I felt fear and concern and worry,

BUT.. the end result was that my drinking increased inline with my brother's (who does not have a drink problem) but that it was always manageable, I was never drunk, I never blacked out and then when Christmas was done I was able to immediately drop my drinking levels back down.

But really, you are doing brilliant!

• Posted

Hi, I live in the states, this drug is not available here, I have been alcohol free for 6 months, very proud of myself but miss drinking at social events. Before I was drinking around 7 to 8 bottles of wine a week, became alcohol dependent 😢, just wondering if the drug is working for you. I could control my drinking half the time, the other times totally wasted
    • Posted

Shannon, in the States a generic medication is used called naltrexone.

Naltrexone is FDA-approved for use in AUD and has been since 1994.

However, it is usually only prescribed to those who are already abstinent and to help them with cravings.  It's been that way since it was approved and as a generic medication no company is willing to put in the millions of dollars it would take to change the prescribing instructions - despite clinical tests showing that it works better if used in the same way as we use nalmefene in Europe.

As you are not drinking, you should have no issues seeing your own doctor and requesting it.

Or, if you google C Three Foundation Find A Physician page you will find a list of doctors in America that WILL prescribe it in the same way as we use nalmefene here in Europe.

It is certainly worth you doing some research and seeing if this method might be suitable for your situation.

• Posted

Hi Em

Thanks for that poitive update.

I have been on Selincro for just about 4 weeks, I have overdone it on a weekend away with my wife, but seem to control my drinking when no real social occasions are in the offing.

But there are several coming up which is a concern for me, your post has given me some hope, hopefully with a bit of self control and the pill, I will get through them.

Thanks

• Posted

Hi, I was struggling just like you if we went out to the pub/party,  but my advice would be to take the pill 2 hours before your first drink and before you go out think about the strength of drink you are going to have.  If its pints try to slow down a bit knowing that they are at least 2 units and your body can only get rid of 1 an hour.  If you like a spirit, have a single with a mixer and thats only 1 unit, if you can make it last the hour.  I was lucky that at the party they had Crabbies and thats 2 units and hard to chugg!!  I still drank too much medically but was not drunk and an arse and for me the best bit was being able to remember everything (didn't have to ask the kids how we got home!!!).  Good luck to you !
  • Posted

I am very scared of how it may convert out.  I do not want to consume extremely but I know everyone else there will be beating it back again all night.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.