Nalmefene Support buddy wanted :-)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

So - I am 46, and have finally admitted to myself that the bottle of wine a night (sometimes followed by a hot toddy) is much more of a crutch than I want it to be. 

My mum died of alcoholism at 52, and I am defo not going down that route, it's a horrible way to die & tears families apart. 

That said medical support isn't possible as I live in a very small village & let's say confiding in the GP wouldn't keep my business private. And none of my friends or family know - I'm a single parent & don't drink other than an odd glass in front of the kids.

I've just bought Nalmefrene online & had the first one last night. And my first day off work sick today..........

I'm sure the side effects will calm down but I could really do with someone to keep in touch with for mutual support, so if you're out there & want a dieting, insomniac, stressed, sarcastic but supportive friend, I'm here xx  

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa ..well done you for making that decision.Hope the side effects aren't too bad for you.They will improve ! How are you feeling today and has their been any impact on your drinking ?

I too bought my Nalmefene online and started TSM on 8th Dec , just checked my diary and it's almost 10 weeks ago ! My side effects were minimal compared to some and still linger a bit when i take the pills.A small price to.pay for results though The results so far a good and my drinking almost immediately reduced so I am really pleased .I have had a couple of blips but in hindsight they could have been avoided

Good on you for making the decision to begin this journey x

• Posted

Thanks so much, really appreciate the message. 

I feel a bit spaced out & grumpy this eve - took the tablet at 5 as normally start on wine at 6. I did that last night too - only had 2 glasses & stopped but didn't sleep at all, very jittery & wide awake & horrendously upset stomach today :-(

I've just started HRT too though so my poor hormones/moods won't know what the heck is going on lol. 

Still will persevere as assume your body has to get used to it. 

I'm not sure on how much you're meant to 'taper' though - worried about physical effects although not sure I've been drinking enough to be concerned, just can't find clear advice. 

What did you do in the early stages? And 10 weeks in sounding great - are you taking them daily still?

x

• Posted

sorry just saw your other post - did you stop completely?
    • Posted

I think the sleeplessness is usial at first is very common.I was like that ,i found it a strange empty sort of wakefulness.No I dont take tablets daily as was rarely a daily drinker. Before TSM all my drinking was done in binges almost a couple of bottles about 3 times a week, much more frequently sometimes or if on holiday from work or out .As advised by Joanna I initially took the tablets for 8 consequence days to allow body to get used to them. Each day I obviously had a drink too . After the 8 days I then took them on the days i was going to drink ie a wed,fri ,sat.After taking nalmafene my intake of alcohol just took its natural course The first night and onwards a couple of glasses and no inclination to carry on and thats how its been except for a couple of little blips .This week I couldn't care if I have booze or not but thought best to take a tablet and have a drink so the process has more time to establish.I bought a bottle of wine last Friday night , had a glass and a bit then , same on Sat night and there is half a bottle still in the fridge .This is like a miracle !! .It's probably foul now but I looked at it tonight in and thought I ought to take a tablet and have a drink. So took pill at 6.30 and am waiting the 2 hrs as per.I don't have many side effects really from the pill but I don't really like the way it makes me feel either .I noted you said you only wait an hour between tablet and first drink.If you are following TSM make sure you have had a good meal, take your tablet and wait 2 hrs before you have a drink .Drink plenty of water within that 2 hrs wait and also have water near you when you have your alcohol.Drink it mindfully !

I think you are feeling like I felt my first few days of taking the nalmafene, definitely spaced out , probably grumpy and a bit edgy but it got a lot better over a few days.I felt I was lucky as some people really do suffer. x

• Posted

Just replied and it's being moderated grrr

• Posted

You might still get my post thats being moderated. I am  still  following TSM but drinking very little now. Are you following TSM  There is a lot of information at the begiinning of the forum JoannaC3 Europe,Look at 'One Little Pill ' on Youtube  too . also C3Europe website  x

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, that's so much help. Well 2nd night was like having horrendous pmt, I was so grouchy :-( Slept a little better though & went to bed after 2 drinks - had loads of water too & feeling positive x 

• Posted

Ahh that's sounding good Lisa, excellent news .It seems that the drinking is reducing already .

Although uncomfortable your side effects will reduce over the week , they sound similar to mine.I was really worried about taking my first tablet in case I had any of the horrendous side effects I had read about .Luckily not !

Keep up the good work xx

• Posted

HI Lisaloves Just wondering how you are doing on the nalmefene .Hope everything is going well for you !
    • Posted

Hi, well I've made it to Friday lol!

I stRted Monday so have had 4 nights & stuck to 2 drinks a night, feeling a bit shaky & nauseous in the mornings but taking some calms & doing ok with that.

I've started taking the tablet later too so it's after tea & closer to kids going to bed so if I'm grumpy I'm not taking it out in them.

So far so happy - getting through weekend will be a hurdle but I'm feeling positive thx Nat xxx

• Posted

That's excellent news Lisa , sounds like it's going well. As I said the side effects you mention are pretty much what I felt ..I still feel a bit strange with it but I think it's because I only take it 2 or maybe 3 times a week .I do feel a bit sicky the next day too.I read somewhere on here that anti sickness meds can help but like you my doctor doesn't know i take the nalmefene so can't really get anti sickness stuff at the moment from her.Good luck with the weekend but keep doing what you are doing and you'll be ok x

• Posted

Apparently anti histamine tablets can help with the nausea so might try those if it continues. Still not sleeping brilliantly but I'm often a bit of an insomniac anyway.

Do you think you'll carry on taking in on 'drink' nights when you've got it under control? I'm thinking that's the plan as it def curbs the urge to carry on drinking & if I can start having some alcohol free nights I don't have to take it that's my short term aim.

Have a fab weekend & thanks for staying in touch xx

• Posted

That's intersting about anti histamine , I'll have a Google there to see what may be best for nausea

Once you have started TSM you should never drink without taking the tablet so I am a bit confused as to what happens when the gaps of having alcohol get wider, do side effects from meds come flooding back ! ..My ultimate aim is that I would like to be able to drink occasionally socially .Normally I would have a drink tonight but I have no inclination so I never bought any wine

You seem to have got it sussed what you want from the meds which is fab.Have you been on the C3 Europe website ?

Anyway it's great to know it's working for you..keep on trucking 😊xx

• Posted

Well. Did think it was working till I necked a bottle of wine tonight :-(

Did take the tablet, it didn't put me off carrying on & I am dreading what I'll feel like in the morning, not a good night......

See you in the morning for an update, not v happy with myself xx

• Posted

Hi Lisa don't despair.Dust yourself down and take last night as a blip.I know how lousy you are probably feeling this morning but if it's of any consolation this happened to me too and it was a learning curve .We are only human and 'normal drinkers ' drink too much sometimes and regret it.Just carry on trying to drink mindfully which is not always easy for us drinkers who have been so used to drinking mindlessly! Don't beat yourself up over this little blip just carry on as you have been..We have chosen this method as we want it to work , I feel sure it will work for us if we let it ..Thinking of you hunny x

• Posted

Hiya

Think I know why it went pear shaped Friday - I was out till late with the kids & didn't have the tablet till I got back in at 9.30pm as it makes me too spacey to drive. I wouldn't have bothered having a drink but felt like I needed to do the 8 days?

Last night no prob at all, really didn't want a drink so didn't bother.

Can't say I'm loving the side effects tbh but as long as its working & I can get the habitual drinking under control I'll be well happy.

Bit concerned about what happens after though - I'm considering having a completely teetotal period once I've tapered but then if I drink after that & take the tablets do you think your body starts again with the side effects?

Hope you've had a fab weekend xx

• Posted

Sorry pressed send too early - how are you getting on with it? Xx
    • Posted

Ahh glad you know what happened Friday Lisa .Something similar happened to me a few weeks ago. I did the 8 days of tablets initially and now only take them 2 or 3 times a week but am feeling like I want a drink less and less .I have the same question running round in me re the side effects returning if I leave a too long a gap between tablets. I have not had a drink since last Weds but have taken a tablet tonight as feel I ought to have a drink later to keep the process going and side effects at bay.My weekend good thanks , hope you had a good one too x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.