Nasal Polyp diagnosed

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I've had a metallic/acid taste for 2 months and first got disgnosed with acid reflux so was given ppi which didnt do anything. I was refered to the ENT surgery and had a camera up my nose and down my throat. The doc advised i had quite a lot of polyps up both nostrils, (not visable so up at the top and into the throat) so i've been given corticsteroids and had an appointment made for a ct scan too check if they are in my sinuses.

I was just wanting to find out if anyone had the same symptoms, my smell is fine. I just have a constant nasty taste metallic/bitter taste, have to clear my throat quite a bit and get a horse voice when it comes on bad.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I just had nasal polyps removed in December. I have been hounded with hose for 40 yrs. in the sinuses, you name it, I've had it done. Turbinatomy, ethmoidectomy, not been able to breat, taste or smell. They were nasty. Now though, it seems to be slowed down, the time before now was 9 yrs. get them taken care of. There's a new tool now where they don't have to put you to sleep, it's called polyp vac. Google it. All the best of luck to you, Tino
  • Posted

Hi -

Nasal Polyps are a recurring problem with many - me included.  No-one knows exactly why some people get them.  It's almost certainly genetic, but some foods exacebate the problem. Polyps are usually linked to salicyla.te-sensitivity.  Saicylates are naturally-occuring materials in some foods; Grapes are very high in them (and, therefore, so is wine).  If you ARE salicylate-sensitive, you will experience breathing difficulties when/if you take an aspirin (but not with paracetamol).

The usual treatment is surgery, to remove the polyps.  They usually return, and so the surgery needs to be repeated.  I have had it FIVE times so far.  The corticosteroids slow down the rate at which they form - but they do not stop them happening.

FFord05

• Posted

Dear FFord05,

If your polyps come back that many times, you might have Samter's Triad or AERD. Have you tried aspirin desensitization yet?  It can help stop the nasal polyps from coming back after surgery.  A few places in the US are doing it now, but my doctor mostly calls the disease AERD instead of Samter's.  Same thing, I think. There is a lot of useful information from the AERD Center at BWH in Boston if you want to learn more about what other doctors are doing. There are some new medications available now too.

• Posted

Hi Adancer56 -

Yes, i do have Samter's Triad; as a biochemist, i discovered this myself, and then had to explain what it was - no-one had heard about it!  However, they have now and run a de-sensitivation programme, under Drs Nassar and Wagner.  I went through this successfully, but the maintenance dose of aspirin (~50mg/day) had long-term effects, and i had to stop.

I have a general sensitivity to salicylates, which are present in many foods.  I avoid those high in salicylates, and i also take high doses of Vitamin D3 synergised with Vitamin K2.  This because there is a small study which purports to show that polyps are associated with unusually low D3 levels in the blood.  High doses orally restore the serum levels, and (they found) cured nasal polyps.  They also had ultrastructure studies to confirm the changes in polyp membranes, with/without D3.  I have found that D3 seems to ameliorate the symptoms, but the surgeon assures me that the polyps are indeed growing back, regardless.  Still, D3 is cheap (use K2 as well, to avoid the risk of kidney stones).

Thanks for the reference AERD Centre - didn't know it existed; will check it out

all the best

FFord05

• Posted

Thanks for the replies. So i was given steroid drops to be taken, 1 drop a day in each nostril for 2 weeks. The second week I was on them I was skiing away in France and by the 2nd day away I was pretty much bad taste free. No food/drink triggered the taste it was soooo nice not to feel this rancid taste.

Anyway I came back and after my 3rd day back I came to the end of my 2 weeks of medication. Since then I've then the taste has come back to been as bad as ever, i've also come down to london for 3 days and it's come on strong so don't know if pollution can add to it???

Alternativley I don't know if it is because i've stopped my medication (in this case i wouldnt expect the symptoms to come back within days) or if it's the high altitude in the mountains whilst i was in france and cold air that relieve it somehow??

Anyway I had a CT scan of my sinuses and go in for the results on wednesday, so hopefully i'll have some more answers then. It's nearly 4 months that i've had to feel sick with this taste 99% of the time so if they decide to cut these things out i'll be more than happy.

• Posted

Hi. I have only just read your post. I too get a horrible copper rusty like smell on occasions when I sniff too hard. It goes down my throat also and tastes like metal. I have several polyps in each nostril which are not visible but we're seen by nasal endoscope. I have steroid nasal drops which help a little but not an awful lot. I was terrified at first as I thought it was blood that I was tasting. It took months to discover the problem. It is horrible isn't it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.