Naughty tramadol addition...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys this not the first time I've posted on here..

Been on tramys for 2 years now was prosibed them for back pain and got hooked to them problem was my addictive personally liked the feeling! So keep taking more and more to reach the same high witch is not good but I've now reduced from 500mg a day downdown to 200mg 4x 50mg tabs witch I've done in 4 months I'm starting to worry now cause I've had the cold turkey loads of times so know how it feels witch and bloody nice 😢 I'll be ok to keep reducing but I'm worried about loosin the last one how will my body cope with it and will I suffer with cold turkey anyone got any ideas what I could do......

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Tramadol does have terrible withdrawals but the good news is they don't last too long. Just a few days. When I was down to my final 50mg, they were capsules and I opened them up and poured some of the powder away then resealed the capsule and swallowed that. That way I was able to slowly taper down and did not suffer too bad withdrawals at all.
  • Posted

That is not true, that the withdrawals don't last long, they can, esp if taking for over a yr at higher doses. See Tramadol is not only a pain pill but also increases serotonin an norepinephrine in the brain. So it acts like an antidepressant. So withdrawing from pain pill an antidepressant. For some,myself included, the intial physical withdrawals are nothing compared to mental withdrawals that can go on months to yrs. Its called PAWS. Look it up. Some need to get on antidepressant to get them thru the rough patch. You will have anxiety probably also. So just watch out for low moods. Talk to your Dr if you can an just say you are tapering off Tramadol an what he suggests. For me, cold turkey was the only way. Also I highly doubt you will have a seizure going cold turkey. The seizure aspect comes from taking TO MANY which overloads the serotonin in brain which causes the seizure. You don't get seizures from LOWERING your dose. I never had one going cold turkey but I can't say it cant happen. I was taking 15-20 a day. Cold Turkey only way for me because if it were in house or I had access to it, i would take it. Had been on it for 8 yrs. Tapering is just prolonging the wwithdrawals to me but some do it that way. Everyones different. Do it your way. Goidluck.
  • Posted

Hi Tony, I had been on Tramadol for over 6 years and knew I was addicted. The only way out for me ws to go "cold turkey" wich I started just over a month ago. I was taking 600mg a day, couldn't wean off because of the terrible side affects so decided to go "cold turkey" I am now into my 32nd day and feel so proud of myself and will carry on being completely drug free from now on. I would rather suffer the terrible pain than be an addict to any drug. I don't quite understand what you are saying....it is almost like you are happy being on tramadol but please correct e if I' wrong.

Annie....

• Posted

If you are reducing, slow down on the last few, make them last a little longer, so that by the time you have taken your last one you should be feeling ok.  Its up to you toget your head round the fact that there is no more.  You have started the journey, by the time you take the last  one, you will have reached home.  Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.