Nausea and bethahistine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone know a way to stop the nauseous feeling I am getting I think k it's due to the bethahistine which I am now on 32 mg 3 times a day. Been on this for nearly 3 weeks but started feeling really sick on Thursday been like it since struggling to eat anything which isn't helping and my head keeps feeling like I'm going to have an attack but makes me feel unwell but not as full blown as a big one. Any help please I am really struggling now

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Ask your ENT doctor about the possibility of intraympanic steroid injections.  Good results have been reported with this method of therapy.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

They are looking into this for me but I have to have another vestibule test done before which isn't till near the end of December this meniers is so debilitating even when I'm not having a full blown attack

• Posted

Hi Sarah! I'm really sorry you feel like this. I am exactly the same but unfortunately cannot offer you a solution. I find that I'm eating really badly because I feel sick a lot of the time. People have commented on the fact that I look like I've lost weight. To be honest, I do eat regularly as I did before but find that I eat a lot less because feeling sick doesn't exactly open your appetite!!!!

It does get better it seems. I used to be really bloated too but now this has gone. Maybe give it time and hang in there as your body might get used to it. I'm reluctant to start taking anti nausea tablets too as taking all these tablets can't be good for your already sensitive stomach, right? It's a bit of a vicious circle I find. My doctor did tell me that betahistine can make you a bit drowsy so maybe that's what you are experiencing if you've upped the dose? I'm not suffering from drowsiness but then again everyone is different.

Good luck!!!

• Posted

Thankyou just been to pharmacy and he thinks it's more the meniers not the medication so yet another thing to add to the never ending list of rubbish symptoms. Pleased you are feeling better

• Posted

I had beta histamine made me feel nauseous.. .. you have to eat with this... try cinnazine instead..it's a travel sickness tablet so prevents nausea.. can be used with beta histamine... but I would just with trying this on its own.. been better for me.. just try one tablet first.. as can make you sleepy.. I'm on half twice a day when things get bad..

• Posted

Dear Sarah,

Re: the nausea, I agree with Liz - Give the motion sickness tabs a try.  Perhaps the nausea is due to the MD, and not due to the betahistine.  The only way to know is to give it a try.  And for me, the anti-nausea pills do seem to bring my appetite back around, so you might get help with that.  I know that when you're feeling this sick, the LAST thing you feeling like doing, is getting up and going anywhere to get help!  You feel too sick! Is there anyone who might go to the store for you and get the tablets?  Someone you can call, to help?  For milder nausea, I sometimes mix 1/2 tsp dry ginger powder with 1/2 tsp sugar.  Letting it melt on my tongue will sometimes help.  Or, ginger tea.

I'm so sorry you're feeling this horrible.  No one knows, unless she's been there.  Last year on this exact date, I was taken to the hospital by ambulance after having a vertigo attack with vomiting that just wouldn't end. I fell to the ground and  I couldn't hear, I couldn't speak and I couldn't move.  The vertigo was so fast, and the vomiting so continuous, I just wished I would die. I've never felt so helpless.  I lost my ability to walk for 3 days.  The whole neighborhood watched as it all unfolded.....I'm sure it must have looked like I was fall-down drunk in the middle of the day!  And all this happened after many months of "conservative measures."  I spent all of my days feeling sick, dizzy, confused, foggy and off balance, and wondering when the next "big one" was going to hit.  

So, I know how miserable you must be feeling, and I feel great empathy.    I know from your other thread that you were just 33 when this started.  You're too young to settle for living like this!  

Here's hoping that you soon find a regimen that works for you!

Take good care,

J- 

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply I have put another discussion up today as it's still going on I had one good day yesterday after a different medication bit only got that for 9 days. I feel for you having an attack like that is my fear I haven't had it as bad as you but I can imagine how it feels as I just want to curl up and do anything to make it stop. Have you got things under control again?

• Posted

Dear sarah,

I got complete control of vertigo, dizziness, nausea and loss of balance, after a series of intratympanic steroid injections.  It was a miracle!  It did not take away the tinnitus or improve my hearing loss, but everything else just dropped away.  I got so much stronger! 

Concurrent to a prolonged bout with the flu/pneumonia/sinusitis, I began to feel the pressure building up in my ears again, and my tinnitus increasing.  I was so sick with the flu, that I didn't really pay attention to these Meniere's warning signs, and 3 weeks later, I had a vertigo attack.  And then 2 days later, another.  I'm back having injections now, as I NEVER want to feel like this again.  And I will NEVER ignore the warning signs again! My doctor feels that if I went in for an injection at the first sign of fullness, that I could have avoided this crisis.  Lesson learned!

Honestly, the injections gave life back to me, and I highly recommend them to anyone who simply can't get reflief from conservative measures.  I will continue to receive them for as long as I live, if necessary!  They are virtually painless and don't take very long at all. Most important, they cannot do any harm to the inner ear.  For me, it's a decision that I have never regretted.

Take good care,

J-

• Posted

Betahistine is normally very free of side effects apart from a tendency to cause gastric irritation which is why you should always take with or immediately after a meal. I had a similar experience to you when I first took because it can take quite a long time to work.

Try taking omeprazole (available off prescription) each morning  as well as any anti-nausea medication you find helpful. But your symptoms are typical of an MD attack so you may need a higher dose of betahistine. I am currently on 64mg tds and doing OK.

Hope this is helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.