Nausea and insomnia 4 weeks post TAH

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy with removal of my 1 remaining ovary 4 weeks ago.

Im still managing the pain but have to say the constant nausea and insomnia are by far more difficult to manage.

Im 44 years of age and im not due to see my gp until week 6 as recommended by my gynae consultant, and im getting little sleep and am struggling to eat as feel so sick and nauseaous all the time.

Im not usually a fussy eater but i just dont fancy anything and when i do try to eat after a few mouthfuls feel sick.

Has anybody else had this experience??

I did have adhesions removed from my bowel and bladder which i was told were very extensive, and im just wondering if any of this could be related to my lack of appetite?

Thanks in advance...

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Could be the start of menopause symptoms my body went into shock after my total abdominal hysterectomy I was constipated after surgery thought maybe my sick feeling was from that and didn't want to eat but all got better I'm 14 weeks post op best of luck

• Posted

You've had very extensive surgery. Make sure you are drinking plenty too. For insomnia, try melatonin tablets at bedtime. They are over counter available in USA at pharmacies and around $8 for 100. In NZ they are restricted medicine here and we pay $30 for one month supply. My Dr prescribed 3mg tablets, 1 at bedtime. I stock up each time I go to USA! I also supply my GP and her Son who is a Policeman and works shifts. My GP is same age as me - 58 so we have the post menopause sleep disruption. We can get free sleeping pills on prescription here but have to pay a lot each month for a natural medicine like melatonin. So dumb.

• Posted

I'm just approaching my forth week. Im also suffering from insomnia and very little appetite. I've been drinking protein drinks to substitute for my lack of appetite and I'm getting extremely drained from no sleep. I'm about to call the Surgeon office today. I suggest you call your surgeon too.

• Posted

Thank you. I will try tomorrow to get an appointment.

Its very draining all this.

I hope you feel better soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.