Nausea as an Amitriptyline side effect?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My doctor's prescribed me 10mg Amitriptyline a day to help with fibromyalgia pain. I've been taking them for two weeks and have been feeling nauseous at times for the past twelve days, particularly when walking / moving. I've also had quite a dry mouth and felt thirsty.

Is nausea a side effect that anyone else has experienced with Amitriptyline? I'm wondering if it's the drug or just related to the fibro / pain I've been getting. It does seem to have coincided with me starting Amitriptyline. If so I'm considering cutting my tablets in half and weaning myself off it over the next week or two. So far it hasn't helped with my fibro pain so it doesn't seem worth putting up with the side effects (if that's what the nausea is).

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I have been on A for headaches - I had a dry mouth and fatigue at the start but they wore off after a month or so . May be go back to your GP before finishing as he may suggest a dose increase to help with the pain My headaches went after few months so the drug helped me . 
    • Posted

thanks, I'll ask my GP. I've just been in there every couple of weeks since the pains started in November and am trying to not go there for a bit. I think they're a bit fed up of seeing my face all the time.

• Posted

Amitriptyline can take 3-4 weeks to get into your system and for initial side effects to lessen all except the dry mouth. Unless you give it 6 weeks you won't know if it will help you or not, and your GP may need to up the dose to help with your Fibro pain. Give it a bit more time and then if your side effects still bother you talk with your GP again. I wish you well

• Posted

thanks, maybe I'll give it a little longer, but I might just try 5mg a day to see if the nausea goes away.

• Posted

Be careful with amatriptyline very powerful unfortunately I only made it to the 2 week mark, before I had to give it up as the side effects were to much! Some people obviously need this drug as in lots off pain, but you have to way up what's worse to deal with, for you! Dealing with your pain or dealing with the effects of amatriptyline!!! I could handle my pain better than I could handle the effects!!! So I decided to stop, even after 2 weeks I had bad withdrawals!!! So be sure to wean of if you decide to stop :-) good luck

• Posted

What dose were you on? And what side effects did you get? My pain's pretty much 24-7 in numerous places but never so bad it stops me doing things. If the nausea I'm getting is a result of the amitriptyline, I'm thinking I'd rather deal with the pain without it.

• Posted

Amytryptalene you are taking is a very low dose, so the side effects should be minimal.

Are you taking any medications for your Fibromyalgia ?

Some other medications may be causing the problems. Amytryptalene can cause problems, you need to look at the whole

BOB

• Posted

The only thing the doctor's prescribed me for the pain is 10mg amitriptyline a day. The neausea started a couple of days after I started the amitriptyline so I'm just wondering is it a side effect from it, and has anyone else had anything similar.

• Posted

I didn't have nausea the short time I was on this but I know that some people do expereince feeling queasy for a time. If you feel that you can manage your pain without it or the GP can offer a different type of pain killer then I would stop taking it. Talk with your GP but if offered Gabapenten Please research this drug thoroughly before taking it. It has some nasty side effects and is difficult to stop taking without withdrawal symptoms, one of which is nausea and dizzy spells causing nausea. I'm sure you will make a well informed decision soon.

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. The pain's pretty much constant and unpleasant but not extreme, so I might just try controlling it with paracetamol and ibuprofen and use Olbas oil and topical rubs. I'm not keen on using  stronger medication with noticeable side effects and withdrawal symptoms.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.