Nausea & panicking

Posted , 7 users are following.

I feel so sick and feel like my heart is racing and I'm going to have a heart attack! Hate this anxiety how can I calm down and be relaxed any suggestions peeps xx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steph, it's not easy but often the best way to get rid of panic is to stop fighting it and 'allow' it, it cannot harm you, it just feels nasty so start with thinking 'okay i feel awful, i accept this but i know it is anxiety'.

Then get your breathing under control, take a deep breath in from your belly, not your chest, hold that for a count of 4 and exhale slowly for a count of 11.

Your anxiety is because your brain is telling you there is something to be scared of even though there isn't so if you accept your feelings and ride with them you send a message back that there is nothing to fear but if you fight them it just reinforces the fear.

Make yourself as comfortable as possible, and accept that these are harmless sensations caused by anxiety and anxiety is a liar, you are safe, you are fine, you just feel awful so you say to yourself 'okay I feel awful but nothing bad can happen'.

Sometimes actively encouraging the sensations to get worse can help because it sends the message that you are not scared and the anxiety has nothing to feed on but I know it is hard to do that xx

• Posted

Hi,

I am exactly the same as you sad sorry can't help with any suggestions as I am still suffering.

I'm here if u need to talk though

Kelly xx

• Posted

I just had a long soak in the bath, not too hot, but not just warm. It helps take some of the tension out of my muscles.

While soaking I try to focus on positive thoughts. When my brain tries to force a negative thought, I say in my head "Nope, that's rubbish! You are trying to make me worry about something I have no control over." And/or "Worrying will not make anything better, and it will not make anything worse it does precisely nothing!" Then I can swiftly move on to more positive and productive thoughts.

Another thing I am doing is l sliding down into the bath with hands behind my head and my fingers interlinked. I put my head under the water so my ears fill with water (I wouldn't do this if you are meant to keep water out of your ears for any reason), I then spread my knees wide and put the soles of my feet together the best I can. For some reason this position feels good for me and allows me to let all my muscles go limp without me falling into a pile. While in this position I start to breathe deep (not with the chest if possible) and listen to the breath entering my body, (it sounds nice and loud when you have water in your ears!) keep it in but let it go slowly before it gets uncomfortable (it can be uncomfortable to hold it too long for me as my muscles are weak from tension and not eating much). As you keep doing this, concentrate as much as possible on the sound the breath makes as it enters and exits the body. I have found this to be very relaxing, and though it is not any kind of cure, it does give my body a break from the feeling of unregulated anxiety.

I am no expert because I have only been going through this for a week, but this really helps me and maybe it will help you to.

• Posted

Breath in through your nose hold n out through your mouth , it dose work sometimes takes a bit of time , it's bloody awful I suffer terrible too , x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.