Neck and back issues as a result of migraine, help!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been suffering with chronic migraines for 5 years, now since the age of 11, with episodes spanning typically for days. I have always experienced a lot of stiffness in my back and neck but currently it's become increasingly bad causing me a lot of immobility and discomfort. I have asked my doctor about this and I was refered for physiotherapy for a few which was not of any help apart from the clarification that the cause is likely years of migraine without any treatment on my back.

Sorry for going off on a bit of a tangent but I'm eager to find out does anyone experience these issues also and if so, what treatment do you recommend? Chiropractors? Osteopaths?

Any feedback would be so so helpful as we all know migraines are bad enough in themselves without back and neck issues also!!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Have you seen a neurologist? Do you have any numbness or any other symptoms?I don't recommend a chiropractors, that make complicated things. Massages would be awesome for you as well hot or cold pack on or neck(whichever helps more).
    • Posted

Hi April, thank you so much for your feedback.

Yes I have seen a neurologist who has diagnosed me formally with migraine associated vertigo. No I have not experienced numbness or tingling as a symptom, apart from when I was on beta blockers as migraine medication which I was taken off immediately after this instance. My symptoms include quite bad vertigo and nausea with what feels like severe pressure in my head. Before a migraine I become extremely irritable and my eyes become glassy. Most of the time my triggers are primarily smells such as certain cigeratte brands, kerosene and some perfumes and strobe lighting.

I will take that on board about Chiropracters as I have heard to be cautious especially with your neck.

Again thanks so much for your feedback I hope I've given you more insight on my symptoms x

• Posted

Hi Lauren

I also have chronic migraine, and also constantly have a stiff,saw neck + back. I am currently seeing a chiro 3 times a week for adjustments. I have only been going just over a month now, but I havent noticed any improvments yet, Im going to stick with it for at least 6 months to see if it gets any better, as it may be one of those things that take time. I will let you know if anything changes.

Have you tried acupuncture at all?

What treatments have you had for your headahce, and which medication have you tried?

Also, as April have asked, what symptoms do you get with your migraine, do you get numbness/tingling?

Amber x

• Posted

Hello Amber thank you for getting back to me!

Yes please do tell me how the chiropractor goes as I often describe my back and neck as feeling like it needs cracked or should I say adjusted haha!

No I have not tried acupuncture but I have looked into it. Have you gotten any relief from it?

Thank you again for you reply it's such consolation when someone experiences similar problems.

Lauren x

In the past for preventative medication I have been on sanomigran, topiramate, magnesium supplements, beta blockers and I am now on 10 mg of nortryptiline for about 3 months which I find so great as I've never gotten relief from medication previous to this. I still get migraine maybe twice a month but this is a fraction of how often I got them previous to the tablets.

You can read my symptoms in my reply to April.

• Posted

Sorry I didn't realise the order of my reply to you was all messed up , oh well i hope you can make sense of it !
  • Posted

Hi Lauren, I'm 16 and have experienced exactly what you went through, I've been suffering with chronic migraines for over a year now, paired with neck and back pain. When the neck pain first arose I was referred to physiotherephy, but once I mentioned the headaches the exact same happened and she discharged due to the fact my neck pain most probably was a cause of the headaches. I've tried many things to help with pain relief; chiropractors, acupuncture, acupressure, massage and many painkillers. None of these have given me any long term relief, I mean yes they could give you instant relief from the pain, but it's just not worth your money as within a few hours the pain will return and tbh they just make the headaches worse.

Currently I am under another chiropractor, the first I went to see was awful, so at present I am seeing my parents one; so far I have only had 3 appointments but it's going alright, I mean it hasn't made much of an improvement but it hasn't made it worse. I'd give it a go if I were you, at least it's something.

If it's any help, although pain is subjective, I have some understanding as to what you are going through, know that I am here if you ever want to talk, 

Katie 

• Posted

Hello Katie, I am sorry to only see your reply now! Thank you so much for your feedback as we seem to have an uncannily simalir story.

I am currently awaiting an acupuncture appointment in a few weeks time so I will see how it goes. Yes, I am thinking about returning to a different chiropractor as I have heard it to be the most successful option for our kind of issues. Also, may I ask what do you find effective with the chiropractor? Is it deep massages or would adjustments like cracking work better for you?

Thanks again for replying and sharing your experience and likewise if you ever want to talk.

Lauren.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.