Neck causing so many issues 😢

Posted , 7 users are following.

Thirteen years ago my ex husband in the space of six weeks smacked the side of my head popping my left eardrum, then another night strangled me twice the second time lifting me off the floor. Then two weeks later caused me to have a car accident.

Amazingly I had no symptoms till a few months later when my neck started having a tremor. This was put down to anxiety of the bad marriage id just left.

Five years ago I went to the doctors as I was trying to train as a hairdresser but I kept dropping my scissors. Then one day I woke up and my feet and hands were totally numb.

Being in the UK, I didn't get an appointment for three days and sensation had returned. I got put on antidepressants .

Numbness and tingling in hands continued on and off for three years. Then neck pain set in . Still no help at doctors.

Two years and two months ago I had a drop attack. I didn't loose consciousness but my ears rang really loud I felt really dizzy and I fell to the floor. ....I didn't go to the doctors 😕

Felt fine. One month later it happened again only the dizziness stayed. Gp said it was labyrinthitus with nystygmus. And to go back if it was no better in two months.

Two months later went back to gp. Couldn't get an appointment with the one id seen before and the new gp said it was my blood pressure not my ears.if also been rushing to the loo and choking on food.

Six months later ( been on tricyclic antidepressants all this time) the dizziness finally stopped.

Roll on another six months. Heart palpitations started. Put back on antidepressants 😠

13 months ago dizziness started again. Got a referal as gp suspected ms.

In the 18 weeks I waited for my appointment I had foot drop twice. On and off dizziness. Pain in left arm and total numbness from hand up to my elbow. Weakness in both arms and legs felt like marshmallow. Doing anything was exhausting.

By the time I saw the neurologist I was ok on that day except for lower leg pain and feeling dizzy when I stood with my eyes shut.

He diagnosed me with fnd (functional neurological disorder) BEFORE my mri or and nerve tests.

Mri showed wear and tear on my neck and nothing else.

Changed gp and refused to go back to see the neurologist. I'm now on anti anxiety medication and still dizzy with heart palpitations. Still pain in back on and off. Numbness etc in both arms and hands. Had foot drop again. And my left lower leg and foot vibrates.

My gp is sending me to physio and to an ent !

Can anyone help with what can I do??

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I think you need to see neurologist and fairly quickly there is no sense in

Ignoring the numbness etc the physio might help but won't if there is nerve damage good luck

• Posted

Hi,

I agree, your symptoms do point to Neurologist.

You have to understand that the higher up the ladder you go with medical professionals the nearer you are to God, (in their opinion), they do not like to be challenged in any way.

If you could afford it have a private consultation with a Neurologist, your GP could arrange this for you. At least then you won't wait to long.

In my opinion do not have any physical physiotherapy it could do more damage.

Best of luck,

Mike.

• Posted

My doctor won't refer me to another neurologist as I've already seen one 😦 and I can't afford private.

I'm hoping of I see a physiotherapist and explain the above he/she will write to my doctor asking her to resend me to the Neuro. (A different one this time)

Do you think that could be possible?

• Posted

Hi,

Yes, I agree, any chance to see another Neurosurgeon would be way to go.

As I have stated many times on this site, I waited 13 months in agony before I was finally sent to the Neurology dept. It was then found I had serious spinal cord problems and normal physio or exercises could have paralysed me for life.

Mike.

• Posted

Hi there,

lkI keep trying to reply to you but my phone keeps timing out so I will keep it short!

You sound like a lovely and kind person and I recommend you give yourself lots of kindness and gentleness in order to facilitate a healing envuronment in your body. You could holistic therapies such as reiki, reflexology or naturopathy,or whichever one appeals. Aromatherapy can also be very effective.

Wishing you the best of everuthing for your future and kind people to share itvwith 😊x

Let me know how things go

• Posted

Firstly, my sympathies, I have had a similar sinario with symptoms like you and battled with the doctors for many years before I decided that all my symptoms were related. As well as CS I had Back, neck, jaw, joint, muscle ache/pain, at times severe headaches. Tinnitus, vertigo (severe dizziness) numbness, feeling of blacking out as well as problems sleeping . Also brain fog and memory issues. I do have IBS so maybe that contributes or is a further symptom.

I went to Physio which did help for a while, the traction was uncomfortable but worked. I'd feel better for a good few months then symptoms would come back and became quite severe.

I persisted and wouldn't take no for an answer. I insisted there was a serious problem and demanded an answer. I was then sent to a Chiropracter and was luck to get a good one. He told me my spine at the top was straight instead of curved which made my head tilt forward. Your head is very heavy and this causes further pressure on the neck. He then set about helping by Manipulation, massage and

Acupuncture and wow, what a difference! This guy was Asian and used alternate practice and was open minded. He was the first person to dmsay all my symptoms were related!!

Other things to try:

Hot packs on the neck.

No prolonged bending forward like on a laptop

No prolonged sitting

Yoga

McKenzie Terapy Exercises

Acupuncture

PIDDD therapy (important to find a good therapist)

Neck roll for sleeping, or /and a curved pillow for neck support, can help a lot but you may have to try a few to find the one for you.

These are all the things I have tried that have helped!

Don't give up, do lots of research and don't take no for an answer from the doctors, you need help!

Sleeping well is imperative for body and mind, your state of mind and ability to cope with pain is much better if your sleeping pattern is better.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hear hear, excellent advice and all things which I have also found helpful. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.