need a friend with NS!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I d reallly like to have someone to talk to about nephrotic syndrome because for the last 3 years I ve been on and off treatment which is really getting me down! I ve only ever met 1 other person with this disease and that was about 28 years ago so I doubt she d remember me!

I ve just spent 3 weeks taking prednisolone and tacrolimus which was a complete nightmare (couldn t sleep, concentrate, had shakes and just generally felt very hyper) so my doctor reluctantly let me stop taking them. In a fortnight I m due back in clinic and not sure what the next course of treatment will be. Would love to hear from anyone who may have an idea how I m feeling!

Donna x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Donna,

I have recently been diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome and would be very happy to chat.

Are you in the UK?

Susie

• Posted

Hello,

I was diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome in September after nearly dying of a heart attack due to blood clots. I think it's probably worth putting up with certain side effects if the drugs are keeping you alive and may possibly give you a cure. I also found that I adjusted to the prednisolone after a few weeks and started to sleep better and became less 'hyper'.

• Posted

I've had NS since i was 17 monthd old. I am 19 now. and i can see where you are coming from. when i was younger i felt ill all the time. cold, flus, infections, massive swelling that i weighed 130 for a 13 year old. in highwchool i weighed 179, it was a nightmare, b.c i was depressed and fat. i couldnt explain to my teachers or classmates why i was absent all the time. but in december of 2013 i was hospitalised for edema in my lungs. so my doc put me onn 30mgs of prednisone everyother day for 5 years. im down 1 year so thats a good sign and only 2 relapses. where as before i would relapse 3 times a month. i learned to ignore the headaches b.c they are not that bad and b.c i just need sleep. my diet has little to no protein or salt. pretty simple. nothing hard to follow, i take vit C and D. and tacrolimus 6 mgs twice a day. and that doesnt realy affect me as much as steriods. but i never heard of any other treatment for pediatric NS. all i have ever known was NS and i cant wait to out grow it.
  • Posted

Hi Donna,

I have had NS for the last three years and the only treatment that has worked for me so far is cyphosphamaide. This treamant worked after 3 weeks of an 8 week treatment for me. I am now only taking 2.5mg of steroids and nothing else. I was taking 60mg three years ago and have tried Cyclosporin, mycophenolate nd levamisole but they did not work for me.

I feel fantastic at the moment and am learing to Tap dance.

The feeling you are having are so horrid as I get that if I have to take higher doses of steroids.

Also the swelling and tiredness is just horific and nobody understands.

Poor baby, I know how you feel.

So what treaments have you had?

Amanda xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.