need advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

My 4 month old grandson has svt. He is very hard work. Very wing and cried a lot which sounds like he is in pain. My daughter is constantly in hospital with him and they say he is fine. He is on propanonol and flecinide. Is it normal for a baby to be so much hard work? He has constant diarrhoea and is sick a lot but is gaining weight.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry your grandson has to go through that. It's bad enough for people in there twenties and thirties but for a little newborn is terrible, my gosh. Just fight the fight with him, take it one day at a time and I will keep him in my prayers.

• Posted

Thank you for your message (only one I've had)! Thank you also for praying for him x God bless you

• Posted

I wish I had some better advice, your post made me realize that I have nothing to complain about. I had no idea that babies could suffer from this to. I hope it gets easier to manage as he gets older at least until he is old enough to handle the surgery. I would be in tears if my daughter was going through this so I can only imagine how hard it must be to not be able to help him. Please keep me posted.
    • Posted

They picked it up in the womb. He is on propanonol and flecinide. Ru in the UK?
    • Posted

No I am in the US. Did the doctors say whether he could feel them or not? I was told by my doctor that my arrhythmia was something I was born with but I didn't even know I had until I was 29. I suppose if they can see on the monitor then they would know. I'm not sure how it feels for a baby but the episodes generally are painless. A lot of the issue with arrhythmia comes from the awareness that your heart is freaking out. I'm not sure how aware a baby can be about the disturbances in its heart so I would pray that it is much different for him. I would think maybe the medication he is on might give him diarrhea but so could formula or breast milk. It's hard to say with a newborn because they get upset and uncomfortable about so many things. I would almost hope in your case that it isn't the svts.

• Posted

He doesn't seem bothered when his little heart goes to 270 it should be 120 - 150 for a baby. He has diarrhoea all the time. They said it could be the medication. He has sweaty hands and feet. All side effects I guess

• Posted

Poor lil guy. Well you got me praying for him so I hope it all turns out good. I'm not sure if they have this where you are but there is this stuff called wellements organic gripe water, has nothing to do with arrhythmia but it will help soothe him if he ever gets upset about anything. I used it when my daughter was born and everytime she got colicky, gassy or upset I would give her some and it worked everytime like a charm. Also my nephew is 5 months old and he sweats like crazy, I think that part is totally normal.

• Posted

My 22 month old has svt. First diagnosed at 32 weeks gestation. When she was littler she didn't seemed too bothered, but now that she is getting older she has more warning signs during an event....nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath, pale, sweaty. We try to control it with medication.

Does your grandson see a cardiologist?

Do you increase medication as baby gains weight?

Is he in svt all the time? Or how do you know he is?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.