Need Advice RE: Bad Teeth

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I've been gone from Sjogrens forums for a very long time. First reason is I found out my psycho decades long out of the picture ex has been stalking me online by googling sunkissed64 which is my nickname online since the internet started. You can imagine how aghast I was to know that he has been reading stuff about me he has no business reading. I wish this was a totally private forum that you needed to be a member of to see but google I guess is a loophole.

Getting back to why I'm posting. My teeth or lack thereof. I asked my dentist and he said it would cost like $40,000 to fix my mouth. I have many missing teeth and a lot of temps that keep coming out or breaking. I can't afford to get all the permanent crowns I need. I hate to smile anymore because my teeth are horrendous. I already barely look in the mirror because I'm heavier than I've ever been, my skin is weird looking, I've lost a ton of hair including having to pencil in eyebrows every day. I hate the mirror all the more now because of my monster teeth. So I work a lot and basically avoid my own reflection because I don't recognize the person looking back at me.

Have any of you had dental implants? It's super expensive and because of my dry mouth I'm worried that due to having Sjogrens I'll have issue with my gums or the bone under them and they won't work. I don't have that kind of mega bucks to throw away. The other thing I was thinking about is having a whole bunch of permanent crowns put in at least 12 at this rate..

Anyone been down this road? This is a forum that I've gotten a lot of comfort from and would like to hear opinions and personal experiences from those who might have gone down this road too. Anybody know if any of this could be covered under medical insurance since it's caused by a medical disease?

Would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Since how long u have had this problem??

How it was diagnosed??

What r u doing for dry mouth ??

Is it undercontrol now?thanks

• Posted

I was diagnosed with Softens when I was 23 I am 51 now and though I drink a lot of water my teeth have still kept on decaying to the point of being pulled or needing crowns or implants. I was hopi g someone could tell me about their experience with implants.
    • Posted

I'm writing on my phone meant to say Sjogrens not softens. Sorry
  • Posted

Im in Australia and its cheaper to fly to Thailand, stay in a luxyry resort and have your teeth done-anything, than it is hereif yiurs was caused thriugh having SS that would come under health here, we koiw a man who had a pacemaker put in after heart problems,so the government dental surgeon took out his bottom and top teeth and gave him dentures. free...,apparantly some of his teeth were not so good this was normal procedure to eleviate any infections..be blessed, hope you find what you need.,😍xxx
  • Posted

I have learned that saliva itself is very important to your mouth because it had the right ph levels and antibacterial properties. So drinking water, although it can moisten your mouth, can also flush away needed saliva. That might explain the continued tooth loss. So sorry about that. I'm sorry I wish I knew how to stimulate saliva, but I don't. I have been dealing with my Sjogrens primarily through diet and avoiding medications. It has been pretty good so far. I have discovered a pickled food called umeboshi plums from Japan. They are super salty and can help with digestion if eaten right before or after a meal. I eat about 1-2 most days and I find that it really stimulates my saliva production. I eat then to help with digestion and to avoid any heartburn, but the saliva production has been a welcomes side effect.
  • Posted

Hey sun kissed! Sorry about stalker...make police report every time he stalks. Anyway, I began developing deteriorating teeth after a lifetime of pretty great teeth. I have slowed down the deterioration by moisturizing my mouth everyday with coconut oil. Every night , take a scoop in your mouth, it will melt, squish around for as long as you have time 5-20 min. Spit out into toilet or outside bushes (so it will not clog) sink. It helps moisten as well as being a bacteria fighter. I also add a couple of drops of trace mineral drops to help remineralize.As for implants, expensive!! Maybe contact dental school and ask if you could be a volunteer for students fully supervised. Dentures are an option as well. Good luck, be happy!!
    • Posted

Totally agree with Sunsetstuff, i use it twice a day..it is solid but melts at touch..its called pulling😕.pushing it through your teeth then pulling it, swishing it around your mouth then spitting it out...i use it as a moisturuser too...good inside or outside..its really great it cleared up psoriasis i had for 30 years, many creams couldnt do it, its great for your health, using it in your mouth then spitting it out detoxifies too..actually i use everything coconut..i cook with it too its really healthy...i am on paleo eating regime..unreal..worth googling...be blessed..have a nice day😍
  • Posted

Hi. Yes I have lost all my teeth due to Sjogrens. After spending alot of money on my teeth six months later went for check up at dentist and had a cavity in every tooth. Long story short lost all my teeth. I went to a new dentist who told me about mini implants. They are not as invasive as regular implants. I had dentures but my bottom denture just wasn't working. So I had the mini implants done on the bottom. There are 4 placed in my bones and there is a dentue that just snaps onto the implants. I can eat, talk, and it helps the bone from deteriating. My moth is not as dry. I went into debt for $5,000. Best thing ever done. Except 10 yrs. Later it cracked and I can't afford the $1500 to just make the new denture over implants. I am saving for this now There are some people who are getting approval for their medical insurance to cover this. I am in process but its not easy and your dentist,Dr. etc. need to be involved. Sjogrens causes dry mouth and serious medical issues. Your mouth mirrors what is happening in your body. Medical insurance should cover this,but doesn't. There is a legal cas in the courts now for people who have had very very serious medical problems from their teeth (mouth) I think it is individuals who have Sjogrens vs Medicare. I know know mini implants or implant are considered cosmetic. Not for me or many others. So the cost has gone up. Not sure how much but sure quite a bit.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.