Need advice with Seroxat

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello my fibro friends,

I am trying to come off Seroxat. I have been on 20mg for about 5 months and it has helped my depression as well as lessening some of my more severe symptoms over the winter. I managed to get over most of the side effects but just couldn't cope with having a spinning head and not being able to think or concerntrate more than usual. So I decided to slowly come off the antidepressants. I cut my dose to 10mg about 3 weeks ago and have found that the side effects have actually got worse rather than better. I'm going to speak to my doctor about it but just wondered if anyone on here has had experience with Seroxat.

Thank you for reading 😊

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Boqer,

I had a major breakdown some years ago due to pressure of work and was put on Seroxat.  I took it for several years, but it changed me from a normal person to someone I would not like to meet.  When I said I wanted to come off them, they laughed at me and said they were so addictive it would never happen.  It took me over 12 months to stop them and was reducing by such small amounts that I had to have it in liquid form.  I have read so much since about this dreadful drug, some ofd the stories are quite horrendous.  Well done you for coming off it.

Jusst a thought, maybe it isn't the side effects of the drug that are getting worse, but it could well be the pain etc caused by the Fibro

• Posted

I hope you succeed in coming off SEROXAT. I haven't taken it myself, but as soon as I was diagnosed with fibromalgia the doctors started prescribing antidepressants, and writing DEPRESSIVE on my notes. It makes me so angry because I have always been a very positive person in spite of many problems in my life. OF COURSE I am a bit depressed to have this illness, which is unknown territory for me, but that doesn't mean I need to be drugged to the eyeballs to cope with it. I think antidepressants are essential for people who are depressed for no obvious reason, or who have a breakdown, but not for everyone who has a problem which happens to make them feel depressed. If you weren't depressed to know that you had an illness with no cure that would give you problems for the rest of your life then you would be exceptional! I took ONE minimum dose of their famous antidepressant, and could not even wake up the next day. The tiredness I experience every day is already overwhelming without any extra help from tablets I don't need. I don't think that antidepressants are the answer for sufferers of fibromalgia. If they come up with something to help combat the fatigue linked with effective pain relief, now THAT would cure most of the reasons for depression in fibromalgia immediately

• Posted

Hi My daughter was on antidepressant for a year for her fibro and when she came off we did it very slow....was on 20mg we took 5mg away  a quarter pill every month with absolutely no side effects.... the slower the better....

So many people and docters say skip every 2nd day for 2 weeks but it never works.... a phamacist told us the slower you do it the better your body adjusts to not having that chemical....

good luck

• Posted

Thank you to everyone who replied and for your helpful comments.

I called my doctor up and she said that if my symptoms have increased with cutting the Seroxat dose in half there is a strong possibility that they are down to fibromyalgia not the antidepressant. So I'm staying on 10mg for another week then dropping down to 5mg for a while...and will just have to wait and see if these symptoms go or stay!

• Posted

Well done you,  it would be good if you could let us know how it goes x 
  • Posted

I havent any experience with Seroxat, but ,i know that as with all SSRI's you need to come off them slowly to avoid discontinuation syndrome

When you say that the side effects of got worse since you reduce the dose that maybe but you are experiencing withdrawal effects rather than side effects.

I have read that Seroxat is particularly known for harsh withdrawl effects if not d

reduced slowly and steadily.

It's always best to discuss a plan with your doctor because he will be able to suggest the correct dosing reduction method and time and whether or not he needs to prescribe smaller dose tablets to help

you step down. Splitting tablets in two is ok if the tablets are simple immediate release, but if they are s

controlled release, then you may not be able to just split them.

If you can't see your doctor or get the necessary advice then just go for a plan of reducing as slowlyand as long as you can. if you start to get withdrawal effects it means you've gone too fast and so you should go back to the last dose you were on before those effects and then stay there for a few days and then reduce again by a smaller amount a lot of this is trial and error but it can be done without too much pain and struggle

There is also a lot of specific information regarding Seroxat withdrawal on the Internet if you search around

• Posted

Hi Steve,

I was prescribed liquid Seroxat when coming off it as I was having to reduce by such small amounts.  It still took over a year to finally stop.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.