need advise

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just wondering is dvt pain constant. I have pain/discomfort in my left leg it moves around from calf to thigh sometimes up to my bum it comes and goes and is usually worse when sitting isn't so bad when walking around. I have no swelling redness have had the pain for 3 weeks hasn't gotten any worse .

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Following this. I have pain that comes and goes. Worse when I'm in bed or sitting as apose to walking around
    • Posted

Is it dvt that's causing this? I'm a little worried but a nurse did look at my leg n said isn't swollen or red so wasn't worried
  • Posted

Have you been and had an Ultrasound to confirm you actually have a DVT? I
    • Posted

No I haven't I don't really know if I do have one as although I have leg pain it moves around my leg and isn't constant is also worse wen sitting not when putting weight on it. A nurse examined my leg said it wasn't swollen or hard any were so was okay
    • Posted

With mine I never had any pain. It was however very swollen and hard for about 4 months. I still have the clot 7 months later but it is dissolving and the burn is now no longer completely blocked. You may be able to get a referral to get an ultrasound to either confirm or rule out the presence of a DVT
  • Posted

I had severe cramp like pain in my calf that came on so suddenly one morning and didn't ease or move for about 6 weeks. This was confirmed as DVT. I had the same thing happen the year before and the doctor at a & e said it was old age and arthritis! (40yrs old) My gp diagnosed it as a bakers cyst! Neither of them were hard or swollen just really bad pain. You need to go to the doc just in case as 4 years later I still struggle to walk without pain. And the obvious you could die!
  • Posted

Have you had an ultra sound to determine if you have a clot? I had DVT 22 yrs ago in my groin. My leg was twice the size of the other, cold and purple. Took blood thinners for about 1 yr. At 26 had baby (took heprin shots 2 times a day when pregnant and for several mths after). Then took blood thinners if I took long trip (airplane) or surgery. At 42 yrs old started having major problems along with pain in my legs and feet. The pain wasn't always in the same place or everyday. Legs were not swollen or discolored. I was having more problems besides the leg pain, cramp in chest from walking to mail box, tired all the time (where I wouldn't even have the energy to shower or get out of bed for days). Had ultrasound on both legs but they did not see anything other than my old clot It never completely dissolved and I've always had minor pain in that leg but nothing I couldn't handle. The ultrasound was only done from ankle to groin. After 1 1/2 yrs of seeing drs because I knew something was really wrong with me. I was in so much pain and my quality of life was non existent. I went back for another ultrasound. My legs were so tender, that clothes even hurt to touch them. I ask if they could do my ultrasound sitting up instead of laying flat. I thought my old clot might be blocking my vein when I sat because thats when everything would hurt worse. My legs actually felt better when I was walking. My GP had prescribed pain pills or I wouldn't have been able to put my feet on the floor. They did ultrasound sitting up and looked beyond my groin into my stomach. I had 100% blockage in iliac vein and common femoral vein where my old clot was and on the other side I was 80% blocked. I had stent put in the 80% last November. Dr was unable to put stent in the 100% side. I was told these were not new clots. They were old (calcified) and scar tissue so they were hard like cement. They can not tell me when this happened. But I was very active and healthy and not over weight. Dr said I developed good collaterals so I had blood flow but this was the reason for all of my pain, exhaustion, etc. I'm telling you this because when I read that "your pain comes and goes and it's worse when sitting and you feel better walking". This is what I was telling my drs. My legs felt better when I was moving. but as soon as I stopped, the throbbing severe pain started. When you know something is wrong, you've got to speak up for yourself and keep pushing for answers. I know people thought this was all in my head because I looked fine and so did my legs. It was a relief to get an answer. I still am having lots of problems because of this and on a pain patch now. I wish there was more information available for those of us that have had clots and the long term affects. My DVT was 22 yrs ago. I'm 44. My brother died at 33 from a PE. He had had several blood clots for yrs. When he was in hospital with DVT, he told me that his legs had not hurt, not swollen and he didn't know (even though he had had many in the past). He died after 5 days in the hospital when more of his clot broke off. I hope you do go to the dr and get an ultrasound. They shouldn't base it only on leg swelling or discoloration.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear about all your problems with this. I have seen 2 doctors who said don't think it's dvt they think is more like nerve pain as it changes from my bum to back of thigh to lower leg and feet and there is no tenderness redness it isn't extreme pain or anything it's more numbness tingling and discomfort that comes and goes I am back at doctors in a few days . Since this started about 6 weeks ago it hasn't actually got worse it's got bit better and doesn't happen as frequently which made me thing probably isn't dvt as doctor said this would get worse with time

• Posted

I'm glad to hear it has gotten better with time! But don't you wonder why they just won't do an ultrasound to rule it out without a doubt? Good Luck and I hope you continue to feel better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.