Need better understanding.

Posted , 4 users are following.

its my son who has the MS not me, he is 45 years old, 

he seems to have lost all pride in his home and appearance and is full of self pity most of the time...

any suggestions how I can shake him out of this as I really worry about him.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi sheila it sounds like there is a real possibility that your son is depressed. If that is the case it really isn't a matter of shaking him out of it. Being depressed means you can't help how you feel. The best thing you could do for him make him see a doctor. I hope he gets the help he needs
  • Posted

Can you persuade him to seek counselling from his doctor? Any diagnosis of a life changing disease is a huge strike. He will be grieving fir the life he expected and fearing his future. Ms isn't nucey but its not always the big bogey we think. I have ms and it can affect your mood and anxiety is common, but I trained in counseling and therefore received it, it does help. Goid luck. as a mum you feel you need to make it all OK, you can't but you can be there like you are doing. Sending you some love as one mum to another.
  • Posted

You are both right of course, I know he is depressed and has been to counselling twice....I feel that he is wasting away his life  instead of focusing on what he still can do... Whichever granted isn't a lot as his balance isn't great.... I got him a mobility scooter and he has only ventured as far as his local shop....I have tried to coax  him to get the train to town and offered to accompany him until he gets familiar with it, but so far as refused...i won't give up. Thank you both for your response.
    • Posted

Would he try hypnotherapy Sheila? (Sheila is my mums name) I trained in hypnotherapy and know it can help with moid and symptoms. Also you may benefit from a good self help MS group. Keep coming back here other ms patients may be helpful to you both. I don't know if I'm allowed to give you my email but if you want it you can have it. Kindest regards
  • Posted

Thank you BIc I will have a word with him about hypnotism and get back to you if need too..
    • Posted

I don't know where you are but I was trained in Dorset. Look for somebody trained by the institute of Natural Therapy. Again good luck. I wasn't touting myself that's unethical :-)
  • Posted

Hi,

Everybody is right but I will add that two things helped me over the hump (in addition to therapy). One of my neuro's did a kind of reality check when he said "It's not going to kill you, you know". I also find great satisfaction and purpose by helping others. Sometimes those much worse off than me and sometimes young people as it keeps me involved in society. I see others with MS turning inward and that never helps them. Being open to things and people are your best path. Sometimes a helper animal will assist as well. Ask him to help with small things to start and keep at it. Good luck Sheila.

• Posted

Thank you Virginia I will take what you said on board..
  • Posted

Hi sheila89140 you may be experiencing extreme fatigue as well which is a symptom of Ms and depression. Has he seen an occupational therapist? They could help him manage his symptoms better by pacing himself with what needs doing around the house. Part of the OT assessment is to find out what is important to him ie getting out again, doing something he used to enjoy or even looking at the barriers in his environment such difficulty having a bath or access to the property. They would break this activity up to make it achievable and help your son find his own solutions. Ask the GP to refer him. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.