Need Encouragement for mono recovery

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 63 yrs old. Was diagnosed with EBV/ mono in early August 2016. In month 5 having second relapse. Feels like when I first was diagnosed. It has affected almost every body system if not all of them. Am slowly improving. Reading this forum has helped me have hope of a good recovery. Wondering if relapses become shorter in duration with time. I eat healthy, fresh veggie and fruit juice. Struggle with gaining weight. Each relapse has come with nausea, diahrrea, or vomiting. Appetite has been very poor. Lots of muscle pain. Some joint pain. Headaches, fast heart rate all the symptoms most people list..Any advicee or encouragement will be greatly appreciated. RE

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rhonda,

I have just turned 60 and was diagnosed just before you at end of July so am also in 5 th month of the dreaded virus. Sorry to hear you have relapsed. How were you feeling before relapse? I relapsed in September and felt quite poorly for several weeks. I have been gradually improving lately although nowhere near to full health and strength yet. It is indeed a strange and frustrating virus which requires a huge amount of patience. I have learned to listen to my body and rest up after any activity. Slow and steady seems to be the order of the day. Hopefully your setback will be short lived and you will begin to make progress again soon. I think the danger is when we get a little energy to do too much and then we pay the price. Everyone recovers eventually and you will too so be kind to yourself and hang on in there. Sounds like you're eating well and doing all the right things. Best wishes. 

Christine

Christine

• Posted

Thanks for your encouragement. I try to think every morning that I am one day closer to being over this virus. Hope everyone suffering from it will soon be in a healthier and happier place in our lives.

Rhonda

• Posted

Hi Rhonda, 

I had mono last year and it is no picnic! There were times I was sure I would not recover...intense heat surges, rediculous sweating, horrible exhaustion, terrible panic, unable to sleep, terrible bidy aches, and very fuzzy headed. The good new is you do fully recover. It took me initially a few months like you, then I would have setbacks. But you are right, each time they were shorter and farther apart. Just get plenty of rest, take your vitamins and know you will get well. I am in my fifties so this is not just a young oerson's illness! The supplement monolauren and apple vinegar tea helped boost my immune system, plus other vitamins and eating healthy. Hang on because you will get well. There are lots of great people on here that encouraged me and we will encourage you toosmilesmilesmile

• Posted

Thank for sharing your experience. I'm hopeful my set backs are shorter in duration and less frequent. Thanks for sharing some of your symptoms. I too have endured them as well. What a blessing to have you all remind me that this too will pass. It is some how comforting to have those who are or have experienced longer than a few weeks of symptoms to offer hope and suggestions.

Rhonda

• Posted

Hi Rhonda,

So sorry to hear you have been struggling with mono, it really is an awful experience to go through I know that for sure. I was much younger in my mid to late twenties when I took the virus, but I can empathise with your comments because I think after 5 months I felt the same, as though the progress was slow or very little, and that my body would never feel the same again.

However there is hope Rhonda, because it does get better in time, it gets you that way that you think you will never recover but you will. It's just hard that it can take such a long time, the relapses will become less frequent and less intense as time passes, and eventually you reach a stage when your body is fully on top of things again. It is different for everyone how long it takes, but certainly by the time the spring comes round I believe you will start to see and feel some improvements. It's hard to be patient I know, and remember for everyone it is different, some recover quicker than others it seems, but the key thing to remember is that you WILL recovery and your body resilience and strength WILL return again!

Maybe a good idea to take some good vitamins and herbs to boost up your immune system and help you keep a healthy weight, a good strong multi vitamin is helpful and B complex is good for your energy levels and nervous system, Vitamin C high dose is good too and some immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng or echinicea.

Hang in there and there is hope and encouragement today - I went through exactly the same fears and emotions, thought I would never get better, but I did and you will too!

Take care and thinking of you - message any time

Craig

• Posted

Thanks Craig for your words of encouragement and suggestions. I have and am doing pretty much everything you suggested so am hopeful to see much better days, weeks and months soon.

Thanks, Rhonda

• Posted

Hi Rhonda

You will recover as others have said on here. I have had this since end of September and slowly recovering with big thanks to the encouraging words on here. Do keep taking the vitamins and healthy like you are now.

I have the weight gain issue although that has started to even out and I am sure it will for you. If it a weird illness as hits you all over and often gets you in a panic. 

I am currently doing a little each day, fifteen minutes walking and going to say a local coffee shop. I'd say plan your route in your head before you go. Have somewhere you can rest up if needed and hope you are feeling better soon. Keep us posted please!

• Posted

Thanks for sharing and offering encouragement. Good to hear of your progress. Hope to see more progress soon. Looking forward to health weight gain as well.

Thanks, Rhonda

• Posted

There is definitely hope and a recovery for you Rhonda, I absolutely believe that without any doubt whatsover! You're right in that every day is a day away from the virus and it just seems to need to go through this cycle of ups and downs before finally it's under control - but key thing to remember is when you're having a bad day or spell, it doesn't mean you are back to square one, it is just part of the process of your body recovering, every day away from the day of first infection is a day closer to recovery because every mini-relapse strengthens your body in recovery and is helping your body get it under control, even though it doesn't feel like it at the time. Hang in there!

Stokie boy, it's great to hear you are getting out for a 15 minute walk every day and to the coffee shop - I used to do the same thing as you try and get out for a 15 minute walk every day. Fresh air is good but it's important not to over do it also, it's a good balance!

Great words too forget me not, thinking about you also and hang in there with everything! I fully believe in your recovery for you and everyone reading this! Those who have been through the illness are a community and understand what it's like, it's really good that we can come on here and encourage and help each other - and it is about encouragement and hope, because everyone on here will get better and will kick this awful virus into touch - there is no doubt about that!!

Take care and thinking of everyone

Craig

• Posted

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement. The virus hits our emotions so hard as well as our bodies.

Rhonda

• Posted

It sure does Rhonda, remember the folks on here are help to help and encourage each other though - there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.