Need help/advice

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, 

So for basically as long as I can remember I have been sweatign excessively. Now in the interests of full disclosure I will say that I know I am overweight. At 20 years old and 6ft 3" I am just over twenty stone. I'm aware these means I am unhealthy and I have been dieting for as long as I can remember, and am trying really hard to lose weight. I know being overweight will be partially responsible for my sweating, and indeed as I have got bigger it has gotten worse. 

However there are lots of things to do with my sweating which I do not believe are about my weight; I can be sat perfectly still in a slightly chilly room and I will still sweat. When I go out I haven't reached the end of my drive before I can feel my forehead get clammy and begin sweating, and around the frames of my glasses and upper cheeks. My feet and armpits similarly begin (although my hands are always bone dry). By far the worst is my back, which sweats twenty four hours a day regardless of what I am doing. 

I can't keep living like this. I'm afraid to go out, and that fear and anxiety makes me sweat! I only own black clothes that are lose, and I almost never wear anything but shorts. I spend hours each day planning exactly where I will be going, what I will be doing, and how hot each location will be. 

When I am sweating I begin to feel uncomfortably warm. I am very aware of my body temperature, and begin to feel trapped by my own clothing, by people around me, by confined spaces like pulic transport and by my need to get somewhere private where I can wipe myself down with a towel, reapply anti-perspirant and force myself to deep breath until my heart rate has come down. 

Like I say I always sweat, but in new situations or in areas I have associated with sweating before it is particularly bad. I don't just mean a little sweat either, it will from my forehead and back particularly drip. If I am out of the house for more than a few hours without drinking I return to splitting headaches I believe are caused by dehydration. 

I feel like I'm trapped in a viscious cycle of anxiety causing me to sweat, and sweating causing my anxiety. I worry that I will become depressed, if i'm not already. I just want to be able to walk down the street without having to "adjust my fringe" every 2 seconds. I want to be able to wear jeans and a tshirt. I honestly don't know how much longer I can take this. I need help and answers for things to try. 

P.S. I have not at this point ever sought medical help for this issue. 

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I both sympathise and empathise.

I'm 15 stone rather than 20 stone, and a little bit shorter than you, but feel I'm in a similar situation.

From when I can remember, I've been inclined to sweat easily, especially in hot or stressful situations.

However, it's now got out of control.  I sweat, often all-over, for no apparent reason - for example, at the moment I'm in a coolish room using this laptop and have been sweating all-over on-and-of.

I've posted elsewhere that I have problems with anxiety and also had a recent bout of heavy drinking (but that was over a week ago, so there should be no alcohol in my system now and no question of withdrawals lasting this long).

I do take various medications, including an anti-depressant called Trazadone, but I don't think sweating is a common side-effect with it.

I'm due to see my family doctor on Wednesday coming - all-over body sweating will be one of the topics on my agenda.

Sorry I don't have any solutions for you, but be assured that you are far from being alone.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi jamiejimsmith,

First of all, this is not something that you need to feel anxious about. Many people sweat a lot, they just develop coping mechanisms by time to successfully deal with it.. planning their day, taking with them for the road clothes for change, keeping an extra T-shirt, shirt or other change clothes at work, and - importantly, drinking enought water (as people who sweat a lot need more fluides to stay hydrated). 

Now about health aspects. From what I am hearing, you are overall a healthy young person other than your concerns about your weight. When you decide to lose some of extra weight, you will be amazed with the benefits you will get. In some people, even a slight added weight can cause series of problems, whereas in others it may not. So do not compare yourself with other, start losing weight if you think you need to (and I can see that you have determined that you do). This may also add to your self-perceived image as well and lead to less anxiety outdoors, in social settings (and subsequently lead to less sweating). Good amount of exercise also boosts body's metabolism, strenthens the body and can help with excess sweating too. My advice is usually focus on good amount of healthy eating, fresh air and exercising.

To be on a safe side, always seek health provider consultation first, go see a doctor to exclue any conditions such as diabetes, hyperthyroidism, etc. 

Keep in touch and let me know how things are going. 

• Posted

I'm a 43 yr old female who suffers like you. I'm also overweight but this has been going on for a while now. As I sit here just typing in my air conditioned apt I am sweating. It's ridiculous. I am sure some is weight related but there is no way it all has to do with my weight as it was happening before I became overweight. Mine is mostly my head, neck and upper lip. Although when I am really overheated it affects my hands, groin and underarms as well.

I don't even want to go out I get so embarressed. If it's hot outside I begin sweating profusely as soon as I go out the door. Who wants to go to dinner or to a friends house when you are drenched?! I just ordered the spray one woman suggested on another forum and I pray it helps me some! I can't take this.

Good luck to you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.