Need help advice with recent inguinal hernia repair.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Yesterday I had my operation for an inguinal hernia. I came home feeling fine. The hospital did not give me any pain medication. I said I had paracetamol and ibuprofen. I have taken them all day and the pain seems to be getting worse. Am I supposed to be on stronger pain killers? I don't know what to do.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would call the hospital A&E. Failing that, NHS direct would advise you.
    • Posted

I've rang local nhs walk in and awaiting a phone call from a doctor. Thank you for your reply.
  • Posted

Hi, when I had my inguinal hernia repair about 2 months ago under General anesthetic I was in agony after the local anesthetic that they pack the wound with wore off, I was taking paracetamol ,ibuprofen and codeine. they did not cut it so phoned my doctor and he made a script out for tramadol, they did the trick. the only help I can give you is to say it will get better and the swelling and bruising goes down ( it's early days yet ).

wishing you a speedy recovery.

regards

Howard.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. Just waiting for a call back from the local helpline.

It feels numb towards my private region, very bruised but sore and swollen all up and around my stomach and side. Walking has become difficult too.

• Posted

It will get better try to walk around a bit I found it helped. It will get better,

you should have had a discharge folder from the hospital phone number to use if you had any problems. ( I take it you are in the UK. and had it done with the N.H.S ) . I found that the first 2 days were the worst.

kind regards

Howard.

• Posted

Yes, I am in the UK. I was given tramadol and taken with paracetamol. As of right now I can feel Tue pain easing. But I must remember to take it easy. I get too stubborn and hate being stuck inside. I feel as though all I've done all day is walk around the house feeling lost.
    • Posted

Looks like panick is over then,take the tramadol before the pain gets to bad  its easier to control that way than waiting untill it gets  to bad..

I wish you a good recovery, all what you are going through will be but a distant memory in a couple of months time. ( remember not to lift or try to do to much to soon ) walking helps a lot, if your body tells you to stop then listen to it.

kind regards

Howard.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.