Need help please with my lab results.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi , I am hoping someone can help me please. I have graves disease. I have been taking PTU 50mg twice a day . My labs came in yesterday. The following are my labs . What does this mean? Does this mean I have to cut down on my medication? I have an endo who pays no attention to me and always looks like he has no clue on what to do . Please help. I dont know if i am hypo or hyper ? or if i should cut down on my PTU. Also what can i do to raise my TSH? Thank you.

Thyroid Panel With TSH TSH 0.006 Low uIU/mL 0.450 - 4.500 01 Thyroxine (T4) 5.1 ug/dL 4.5 - 12.0 01 T3 Uptake 27 % 24 - 39 01 Free Thyroxine Index 1.4 1.2 - 4.9 Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct, S T4,Free(Direct) 0.74 Low ng/dL 0.82 - 1.77 01 Triiodothyronine,Free,Serum 3.9 pg/mL 2.0 - 4.4 01

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Your TSH at 0.006 indicates HYPERthyroidism.  It is the opposite of the other labs.  For example, the lower the TSH value = HYPERthyroidism and the higher the value, i.e. over 5.00 = HYPOthyroidism.  The Free T3 and T4 are just the opposite, low numbers mean HYPO and high numbers mean HYPER.  Your Free T4 is low just below the bottom of the range, possibly because of the dosage of PTU.  My labs showed a TSH of less than 0.001 for two years after I started meds and only increased when I took supplements like vitamin D, Regular L-Carnitine and Acetyl-L-Carnitine and Magnesium along with my meds.  You might ask to be referred to another Endo for a second opinion because I think the docs should adjust medication dosages.  In my case, my Endo does that and I adjust my supplements.
    • Posted

Hi Linda, thank you for your response I really appreciated. So does this mean I am Hyper or Hypo? Why is my TSH so low? I am confuse because for my understanding low TSH means hyper but low T3 and T4 mean Hypo so am I hyper or hypo?
    • Posted

I have both Hashis and Graves by the way dont know if that even matters..
    • Posted

Oh that matters a lot Josie.  People with Hashi's alone or Hashi's combined with Graves are really sensitive to the prescribed antithyroid meds.  They swing from high to low and back again..  I know of one lady poster with both Graves and Hashi's  who got good control of her disease.  There was also a lady on this Board who had Hashi's and who had problems swinging back and forth and could not control her disease until she started using natural supplements.  I will email you about this..  

• Posted

Thank you Linda for that information that is very helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.