Need help sleeping after decision to quit mirtazapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am stopping mirtazapine after doing hours of research on it (withdrawals, different dosages, side effects etc.)

WIthin a year I went from 6st 9lbs to 11st 9lbs. I'm angry and disgusted. My depression hasn't been improved by this med, just my sleep.

I am now wondering if anyone has found a way to combat the insomnia that comes with mirtazapine withdrawal ?

I am aware you cannot get something that strong over the counter, but anything that helps even a little I will be grateful to hear from you ?

I have tried to lose wieght on this drug, tried a different dosage with no luck. This weight gain has pushed me into a deeper depression than I've been in for years.

SO long as I can sleep, I can quit easily.

So any luck with sleep aids for mirtazapine quitting induced insomnia ???

Failing that I will ask my doctor for a strong sleep aid (not sure they'd give me one though..)

Please, any tips/recommendations ? 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure about prescription anything for sleep because as you come off of this, you will have neurotransmitter imbalances that cause the WD symptoms until your neurons adjust, and you really don't want to add other drugs to the mix that would also mess with your neurons/neurotransmitters.  Some have found magnesium glycinate to be very helpful.  I'm tapering mirt and my sleep began to get restless.  I'd been taking the magnesium in the morning with omega 3's/DHA, B vitamins, and D3, but only after I started taking another magnesium at bedtime did my sleep improve again.  You might get away with Benedryl, but some find that to be problematic, too. 

Aside from sleep issues, many have had other symptoms that were bad enough doing a fast taper as to cause failure and reinstatement, so go slowly and carefully!  Good luck!

• Posted

I am doing as well as expected, Norma, though I wish I could be done with this drug!  I'm still putting weight on even though I'm at about half of where I started!  When I do a taper I can expect to have some mild bouts of anxiety for no good reason, and some headaches, along with burning skin sensations which never really go away by the next cut. I am on Effexor, too - with Mirt, they call the combo California Rocket Fuel!  I had gone off Effexor last year, which led to horrific symptoms over the months that I didn't realize were withdrawal!  I was in such a bad way, with mild serotonin syndrome after serotonergic supplements and then an attempt to reinstate Effexor, that my doc put me on Mirt, saying it was "gentle."  I couldn't sleep or eat, which is why he chose it, I guess.  At any rate, it pooped out on me, and aside from the sleep, I was worse than ever at 37.5 mg, so he reinstated a low dose of Effexor with it.  I felt miraculously better one hour after that first dose back. Only later did I learn about protracted WD from antidepressants and realize that I had been withdrawing from Effexor all along!  So, now I'm on two #$%@ing drugs instead of one, and from what I understand, they are both some of the worst to get off of in terms of discontinuation syndrome and protracted withdrawal!  I am helll bent to get off both, because after 19 years of being on ADs, my quality of life has not been that great, and I have read many posts from people who felt their quality of life was better after getting off than it even was before going on!  I hope that will be me someday!  And you, too!
    • Posted

Hi betsy,did you not get Roses message to get in touch with Ppwindowrepairs Gregory, and she will introduce you to our site.

Give it a go what you got to loose.  Good Luck 

• Posted

Yes, got Rose's message but still have not succeeded in getting into the group.  I messaged Ppwindowrepairs Gregory through FB and got no response :-(
    • Posted

I'll message her and ask her to pick you up betsy.Are you from the US?
    • Posted

Yes, I am, and I PM'd you my name I go by on FB.  Thank you, Norma!
  • Posted

Hi Sllymyr ,I have just past comment on another thread about the WD of Mirt.  Have you began WD yet? What mg are you on.? And why were you put on it? 
    • Posted

I was on 30mg then 45mg then 30 again then 15mg and I have been taking 7.5mg the last few days. People are telling me 'taper'. It is something I cannot do. I won't go into detail but I cannot taper anymore. I was put on it for depression but all it has done has knocked me out every night. No other positive effect.

I refuse to take another after last night, that'll be my last. I just can't do it anymore, the thought of swallowing these pills is ruining me.

• Posted

Hi. Sllymyr,I can understand what your saying,we are all different so best do what you think is right for you.  I wish you all the best and good luck to you.
    • Posted

How are you doing, sliymr? Thinking of you, going off so quickly.  I hope you are one of the ones who can get away with it!
  • Posted

Hi Sllymyr

Phenergen for sleep, and slow release Propranalol from the docs to help ease the anxiety that is inevitable if you don't go slow with your wd.  

I'm doing a wd after a year on Mirt', and like yourself have reseached until I'm exausted with it !  

Do you have a wd plan at all?  

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Thank you.

I don't if I'm honest. I'm just trying to make myself as comfortable as possible and just stay indoors until I'm past this.

I'm just trying to stay positive.

• Posted

I would second what Betsy has said about avoiding prescription sleeping tablets if you can.  I had acupuncture each week and she would target the points that promote sleep, I took omega 3s and a good quality multi vit, My doctor asked me to walk for at least an hour a day to tire me out.  I used a SAD lamp first thing in the morning and in the afternoon.  I meditated first thing in the morning and again before bed.  I went for a walk after my tea so I didn't waste what little desire for sleep I had slumped in front of the tv.  That's just what worked for me and I did a slow withdrawal over 7 months. I hope you can find what works for you.  Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi Tina

You know I love it when folk come on this forum and tell us that they had a successful wd with a slow taper, well done.  7 months might make some people gasp but from what I've been reading, for anyone who has been on Mirt for a year/long term, that seems to be how long it takes if you want to avoid withdrawal symptoms, which, at worst, can present themselves to mirror the very symptoms we took the Mirt' in the first place - usually followed by the doctor telling us to go back on the Mirt ... boomerang ....

Sunlight or second best daylight gives us our natural requirement of Vitamin D, getting out into the natural light later in the day promotes good sleep, so yeh ... I agree Tina, you did a good job for yourself.

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.