Need MRI

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a Colonoscopy last week which confirms I have inflammation at the mouth of terminal ileum and ileocaecal valve. Biopsis were taken of IC valve and random biopsies of colon. I waa told i now i need more tests done and an MRI. I thought a biopsy can diagnose crohns as that's the whole reason I had a Colonoscopy. The nurse said a biopsy is only to rule out cancer which she said there was no evidence of cancer in the colon which I already knew as my colon was normal. The inflammation is the small bowel. She said I also have ulceration and its either an infection or crohns. My question is can a biopsy diagnose crohns? And has anyone else had an MRI? Wats the procedure if they cant visualise a certain area of the bowel? I don't want to be really having this due to the radiation. And could this be something else other than infection or crohns for them to be sending me for an MRI. My bloods were normal which showed no active disease whatever that means.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi I've had crohns for years and they always do an MRI scan it gives a much more detailed look .. the biopsies will confirm if crohns or not yes .. but I am sure if signs of ulceration n imflamtion then it's all pointing that way .. if I was you I would certainly have the scan

• Posted

MRI uses magnets and no radiation. You mustn't wear any metal anywhere. You may have to fast a little. They give you a laxative drink when you get there to clear you out. You get a canula to inject dye and buscopan. They can see narrowing, and will diagnose you if you have it the terminal ilium. It can take 20-45 minutes. It's noisy but they give you headphones. They speak to you through it and ask you to hold your breath. The MRI is not at all bad, but the drink isn't great. You may need to go toilet quite alot after. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks so much for advice. Yes that awful drink. I had it before Colonoscopy. I'm glad its Not radiation thanks for letting me know. Im happy about it now and to get a diagnosis.

• Posted

I had colonoscpy and biopsies that came back normal. I then had mri that showed a grey area in the same place as you. I then had a capsule endoscopy that showed ulcers at the end of my small bowel. I then had to have the same procedure 6 months later to see if he ulcers were better or worse. I'm assuming they were worse as this is when I got diagnosed with crohn's

• Posted

I am now on a gluten free diet and have brought some menuka honey 15+ as its meant to be good for inflammation and my stomach has felt great for the last 3 days :-).
  • Posted

theres no radiation in an MRI so dont worry about that. it isnt possible to see the whole of the small intestine with a colonoscopy so thats why they do an MRI as well
    • Posted

Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure I have crohns just want to get treated. I can relax now:-)

• Posted

Hi Kelly,

an mri scan is normal procedure and don't worry it is not so unpleasent as the colonoscopy. The worst is over.  I too have crohns in the small intestine.  Good luck with your treatment

chris

• Posted

Thanks Chrisor, I do feel more relaxed about it now and glad I'll soon find out for sure. Thanks x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.