Need some advice!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've had PMR since March 2015 and started at 20 mg. since then, I've reduced to 7mg starting 2 1/2 weeks ago. Everything was going great until I made a misake with my dosing and put 1 mg pill in my pill box as opposed to a 5 mg pill! For three days I didn't realize it and I got severe pain in my wrists and it started to come back in my shoulders and thighs. When I realized what I had done, I went back to the 5 mg pill (plus 2 one mg pills). Since then I wake up and my wrists are so painful for about 4 hours. My shoulder hurts more than usual, but I do have a torn rotator cuff and need surgery that my dr won't do until I'm off prednisone. Last night I upped my prednisone 1/2 mg (I take 5 mg in the am and 2 1/2 at night) but no difference this morning with my wrists. My question is, should I up the prednisone more? I am traveling to Vietnam and Cambodia next week, I'm bringing extra prednisone just in case! I don't know if my wrists are hurting because of a flare and upping the pred will help, or continue with the 7 1/2 daily and live with the pain in the morning. I am worried about the 17 1/2 hr flight!

sorry this post was so long, but I wanted to tell all!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry but I don't feel I know enough to advise but Eileen or someone else will be along to assist. I can understand how easy it is to make that mistake as there is not much difference in the size. I hope it is better for your flight.
  • Posted

I also am not an expert, but several times the question of surgery and prednisone has come up and the question raised whether it is necessary to be completely off prednisone before being operated on.  By 7 mg you are at a level where side effects are starting to be reduced to become negligible.
  • Posted

hi renee. If you were on 20mg 3 weeks ago and you have reduced to 7mg now I would consult your doctor regarding your adrenal gland. From what I know after weeks on pred your gland ceases to function normally. Secondly, such a great reduction so quickly will lead to massive flares. Eileen should read your discussion and hopefully she can give you advice as per the above.
  • Posted

I was on 7 mg for 2 1/2 weeks and after making the error in my dosage, I had what I think was a flare. It continued to 3 days so I upped my dose to 7.5 mg. Today I woke up with no pain in my hands! I'm staying at this dose for 5 weeks! Thank you for everyones comments!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.