Need some reassurance

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have lately been struggling with depression and anxiety that is leaving me feeling hopeless. I don't want to go to work, and when I do, I can't focus on anything. I am working on my Ph. D, but I struggle to force myself to do the work. I have a great partner who I do not even want to spend time with most days. I just feel so hopeless and I need some reassurance that everything is going to be ok. I started Citalopram about 4 weeks ago, but I am only on 10 mg. I was on 5 mg for the first 2 weeks, and have been on 10 for the past 2 weeks. I feel the anxiety getting better but not the depression. Should I ask to have my dosage upped? I see the doctor tomorrow... Will that even help? Can I ever be happy again? 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, yes u will be happy again!! As I'm sure u know how long it can take for Cita to kick in. Be strong, try convincing yourself it can only get better. Maybe take a walk, and focus on what a great day it is!! It seemed it was always hard to do anything, but when I got up and got moving it made me feel better.maybe do something special( no matter how hard it is) for your significant other, doing something to make someone else feel good will make u feel good! Put a smile on both your faces!! Life is great!! We all have rough patches but u can be happy again😀😀
  • Posted

Hi Cosmickitty, I would go back and see doctor I started on 10mg then 20 which I sit on now and feel great no issues just getting thru side effects, Maybe your dosage isnt high enough? It will get better mate just takes time to get the right balance and into your system properly hang in there dont lose faith smile
    • Posted

Good advice I agree entirely. I went from 10 mg to 20mg and then I started to recover.
  • Posted

hi,you will start to feel better soon, I was terrible last October, severly depressed, did not even want to go out of the house, had to drag myself to work as I wont get paid if im off, was hard !

I got myself a dog, and it really helped me as i knew i had to get off my backside and take her out, but once i was out it really helped me , I walk miles with her,

so try and go for walks, even short walks, it will really help you.

some days are better than others, but try and keep smiling xxx

• Posted

Good for you rachel that is great willpower and you are obviously very strong to come this far!!
    • Posted

Thanks Stevo1975, trying so hard.

It might sound soft, but having a dog has helped me a lot,

just going out for walks can make me feel better

• Posted

Thats the ticket Rachel loving the good things animals exercise in my case music brings me back to happy land good job keep living happy my friend!
  • Posted

Hi cosmickitty

you need to give the medication a lot more time yet as it can take 6-8 weeks  once you have reached an appropriate dosage. Your doctor will keep managing your meds as time progresses. These meds do work but you have to be patient . Try not to despair because many of us have been and continue to progress on this journey of recovery.The depressions I'll lift but it too takes time.One morning I woke up and felt incredibly well no depression but it took months not weeks!

Wish I could project you into the future but trust me keep persevering and you will be well.

Take Care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.