Need some support ASAP please.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm back again. I need some support. Ive been on citalopram since November 25, I started with 10 and worked my way up to 40. I have been doing really good with a blip or two here and there. Well today it seems I'm much more tires than usual and having anxiety attacks like crazy. I'm not sure why this is happening or what could be triggering this??? There's no denying I am under tons of stress rite now. I've also been drinking and having energy drinks again. I'm not sure if this is causing some problems or what. I'm just really scared and upset that this is happening agian. I'm not really sure what to do. Please I'll take any advice you guys have. This is absolutely terrible. Thank you

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Scott Dear,  First, you may not want to hear this, but you did ask for advice...so here we go...the drinking is really not helping you.  And I think mixing it with the citalopram is a bad idea. The combination is not good.  You need to be very careful with those energy drinks too.  I don't know how old you are, but there have been some young people that have hospitalized, and actually died drinking too many of those...this is NOT good!  PLEASE be careful with all of this!!  I do think all of these can be causing you some problems.  I would be scared too!  I am scared for you!  You said you have worked your way up to 40 mg on the Citilorpram, what was the priscription written for?  And does your doctor know you are working your way up to the 40 mg?  I really think you should call your doctor first thing in the morning, and be seen tomorrow for sure.  If you have a hard time tonight, I would call a hot line, just to talk to somone to help you through the night, unless you have someone at home to talk you through the night.  I know it's scary, but you need to try to relax as best you can, talk with someone, maybe listen to some soothing music, anything to get your mind off of things if you can at all.  If it gets worse, put a call into your doctor now, they usually have someone on call, they are there to help you.  I am very concerned for you Scott.  We are here for you, but you need someone there where you are too.  Please don't drink anymore, or drink anymore of those energy drinks tonight what ever you do.  My prayers are with you!  God Bless you Dear!
  • Posted

Hey Scott. I think I would cut back on the drinking and cut out the energy drinks altogether. They are nasty and i dont think they are very good for you anyways. I would try an exercise program for awhile if I was in your shoes. Exercise always helps me.
  • Posted

Hi guys,

I really agree with advice on the drinking and energy drinks. I know this has become a problem. As far as about me, I am 25 years old and work 2 jobs. I also have 2 children and a wonderful wife. When I said I worked myself up to the 40 this was because of my doctor not me personally taking more. After about a month on the 10 I had problems, then was moved to 20 and once again had problems again. Now that my doctor moved me up to 40 I have been doing great. I think I started going back to my old habits which may be causing these problems. Honestly just hearing from you guys brings relief. I'm just not sure what to do anymore. I just want to be me again.

• Posted

Hi Scott,

I'm on 40mg like you and I still find that extra stress certainly raises my anxiety levels and makes me think I'm backsliding. So frustrating, but you've got to believe that you are getting better at dealing with this anxiety when it arises.

Drinking energy drinks and alcohol probably aren't the best, but it sounds like you're aware of that anyway.

Maybe try and find a bit of you time, doing something you enjoy. Hard with two jobs and a family, but it's a huge benefit all round. All the best.

Louise.

P.s...recovery is a slow process, but you will get there

• Posted

Hey Scott. I was on 10 mgs for a week then 20 for 8 weeks and now I'm on 30's for roughly 6 weeks. I must say this has been the best I have felt in 11 months. I try and keep busy and I also exercise for one hr a day. And I have limited my coffee intake as its not good to have too much if you have anxiety. You may just have to change ur habits a bit. Things will normal out for you. and of course, stay positive!!!!!!
    • Posted

Hi Scott, I'm glad to see you have a family, and a wonderful wife, that helps a lot!  You are on kind of a merry-go-round, the drinking brings you down, the energy drink brings you up, and the med is trying to level you out, and you are ending up all over the place. This is why it is so important to try not to drink both of those things.  I have one cup of regular coffee in the morning, and maybe I shouldn't...I really didn't think about that, as I too am on Citilopram. If I have another cup during the day, I have decalf.  Mostly I am a water girl...LOL  61 year old girl. I don't drink sodas of any kind.  I am not a drinker, but maybe once a month, or every other month, if we go out to dinner, I will have an adult beverage, then I start with the heart palpitations, then I get mad, because that is one thing I look forward to once in a while!  I know it is very frustrating. My anxiety starts at any time, I can be out at the grocery store, or I can be at home.  I can go to bed, and try to go to sleep, then all of a sudden I get the jumpy legs, and I can't sleep. I have trouble with high blood pressure, controlled, but sometimes it just goes sky high, which makes my anxiety even worse.  It is not a fun thing to go through.  I know I hate it, and anyone else that goes through it.  I also know it's easier said than done to say, stay calm, try to relax, but it's all we can do...try to talk ourselves through it.  I wish you luck!  When you start feeling out of sorts, stop in here, we are here for you!
  • Posted

Aw scott i feel for u i do! I think ur ok but u need to cut out the energy drinks and the alcohol an look after urself again and i think u'll c a diffrence!
  • Posted

No judgement here, but alcohol and energy drinks, as noted by just about everyone who replied to you, do more harm than good, especially if you are depressed or anxious.  Have you tried yoga?  If you don't like the idea of going to yoga, you can buy a did and do it at your own pace.  Perhaps your wife will do it with you because if you feel better, she feels better.  I have anxiety about being around people (crowds) and dentists and docs and IF I have to be in any of those situations, I might take a clonazapam to take the edge off.  Cognitive behavioral therapy is also very beneficial for anxiety and stress and can teach you some valuable techniques for "in the moment"  

attacks.  Do you have PTSD?  Not just soldiers get it.  Something in your past could be causing you to have this anxiety, whether you are aware of it or not.  Keep a journal and write down what triggers these episodes and try to connect them with the source.  It may take a while but with the help of your family and/or friends, you just might get to the bottom of this, helping you to live a More productive life with much less anxiety.  I wish you well and I have been where you are.  It is a dark, scary thing you are going thru but know you are not alone.  And many people have had depression and hyper-anxiety and recovered to a great extent if not completely.  Good luck, Scott.  Now, BREATHE?

• Posted

Scott, Scott, Scott, what are you doing man?!

Cita is not a quick fix or something you pop to get by. It takes time and you are working yerself into the ground and unless you are prepared to change all that is wrong including your lifestyle right now then matters will continue to deteriorate! Drinking alcohol and energy drinks (what?! Sugar and chemicals to give you a momentary boost at the same time storing up health problems for mind and body. And not just for the future as you have proved by your honesty in yer post. Cita is a life saver for many of us.

I am in, no I was in, a very similar position as you, in fact you could have copied my first few posts here from 16 months ago, but I listened to what the good people here told me, I trusted them and eventually was able to take action to help myself. IT WAS NOT EASY! Again, like you, I have a wonderful and understanding Fiancee, daughter (although she's hit the teenage thing now, but I and we are strong and able to handle it. I am also on 40mg. I experienced most of the added extras (side effects) that comes with this sticking plaster for the brain and found out that Cita causes anxiety to treat it. I guess the drug is having a whale of a time with your mind if your feeding it and yer body a load of unatural cr*p! Sorry, but it has to be said.

So, what to do?!. Cut out the drinking and commercial pop drinks immediately, if you have problems with this focus on yer wonderful, beautiful family, gain strength from the good in your life and those that would not be here if not for you (and yer misses of course!). Keep up talking about this , yer fellings and what is happening to you with her. If she isn't reading your posts and replies then encourage her to do so, I did with my Ann and it really makes a difference. We can't always explain what is happening to us or what we are going through, but a little understanding from a loved one goes a long, long way!

My lifestyle changes have been. I gave up smoking, drinking (for a while, until I kinda levelled out which, for me, took around 5 months and then only a couple bottles of ale at the weekend). I gave up eating meat, although we do eat seafood, we bake our own bread, make our own biscuits, steam our veg etc., etc, blah, blah, blah. I removed myself from that and those that was making me ill, work and (some of) my so called work colleagues (I was diagnosed with work related stress by the way).

We didn't have loads of savings and Ann was and is, at the moment, working part-time and I am still off any kind of work, but I am domesticated, do all the cooking (until her ladyship gives me a night off! Lol!), I look after home and back yard. We don't have a garden being a town house, but we have loads of pots and after last years attempt of growing stuff we are in a better position this year – like everything Scott, it takes time. It was scary at first, being ill and then leaving the employ, but our love, Cita and this wonderful forum saw me and us through it all. We have actually saved money by growing some of our own, making and baking our own and have more natural energy to take more exercise meditate while walking and sing and dance like eejits when we play our favourite music or it comes on the radio!

I have had a few blips, downers over these 16 months, but little by little each time I could handle them better. I had two bereavements last year and between these I ended up in hospital for 12 days with a non related (to the stress) medical problem. There were one or two other non related medical issues too. Mind you my body may have thought okay the brains broken down, having a rest now its my turn!

Whatever you just have to be positive, even when it seems impossible, talk this over with your wife and kids if they are old enough to understand and see, as a Family, how you can all go forward for the better. Teach yer kids the dangers of all the processed cr*p that is out there and it will help them health wise for their own future. We have. We look at it that Charlotte is in our care until she wants to spread her wings and we therefore have a responsibility to guide her the best we can.

All in all it is food for thought (and good food promotes good thought) and thinking of positive stuff certainly helped me and I know it has helped many, many others here on the forum. Scott you ain't the first and you certainly won't be the last until that is, we can stop this production line for profit, stop treating people like a resource and return to a caring society. Stress and related illnesses discussed on this forum are the new killers.

Keep posting, keep reading and for you and your Family's sake keep off the drink and cr*p!

Sincere regards and best wishes,

David

Ps Welcome to the Club! 

• Posted

Hi Scott 

Just read David's wonderful post to you and he is also an incredibly caring person as most people on this forum are! 

I just want to reiterate what the others have said and cut out both alcohol and energy drinks also limit caffeine. Too much can act as stimulants and set the anxiety off like a rocket.

You are working really hard but try and enjoy time off with your family these are your rock and even if you just go for a walk and enjoy the scenery it's the simple things which bring so much pleasure. David has obviously found this track and so have I .Friends family and the forum will get you back on track these are all that matter.xx

• Posted

Thank you guys so much. You truly have opened my eyes and made me think about all this so.much more. I feel confident I can beat this and get through this. For you to take the time reply with such a detailed message, I appreciate that so much. Thank you! I will stop with the drinks and caffeine first then I will work my way into some exercise. I can't wait to be me again. Thank you!
    • Posted

Good luck man! Let us know how u r getting on we r similar ages n stories
  • Posted

Hi Scott I have been on 10 mg of celexa for 2 weeks now and have cone to figure out my body can't handle the caffeine. I break out in sweats and my body feels all out of sorts. This may be a problem for you as well. The medicine effects everyone differently for sure. The energy drinks plus the alcohol is probably a big issue of your problems
  • Posted

Scott, I was just wondering if you are feeling any better at all?  Truly, try some deep breathing to get you out of that high anxiety state.  Sit up straight, breathe in for 8 seconds, hold for 7 seconds, exhale for 8 seconds. Do this 5-10 times several times daily or at night, just before you are ready for sleep.  To get thru every hard moment, focus on something or someone you are truly grateful for.  Look for the good things in your life and I'm quite sure I've already told you to laugh at anything and everything.  That really helps the good feeling brain chemicals to be released and for a while, you can put the pain on the back burner.  Sounds trite to some but I have managed severe chronic pain for 28 years and if I can assist anyone going thru this journey of pain and anxiety (or anything, really), I am happy to pass forward what I have learned the hard way.  It is the simple things that really matter.  Your lover's smile or touch, rain coming down and everything becoming green, right before your very eyes. Help someone else.  Give someone on the street a smile.  You may not feel like smiling but what does it hurt?  And again with the endorphins, a brief albeit life affirming moment.  These moments began to run into each other.  Your pain and anxiety are still there but perhaps the way you see it or feel it in the moment is tolerable.  Trust me, you will learn to cherish those moments and know that there will be more and more of these.  It does not diminish your illness, it just enhances pieces of your life that otherwise wouldn't have been touched by goodness.  I hope you understand what I am saying.  It's kind of like smiling  at yourself in the mirror and end up cracking yourself up!  Our lives are tough enough so any type of diversion, especially peaceful,happy and funny stuff!  I wish you well and will check on you again soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.