need taper instructions for gabapentin taper

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi! I've been on gabapentin for two weeks and need to know how to safely taper fast. I hate it! thank you in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Very Very slowly..I was taken off way to fast and went thru months of withdrawal from this drug.

My doctor said to drop only about 100 mgs every couple of weeks. Don't rush this!!

?I was on 3200 mgs and my Rhuematoligist had me drop to 1600 for 5 days then 800 for 5 days and stop..this was so wrong..my family doctor said it should of taken months to come off this drug..this was last February and I am finally over the past few months feeling almost normal again.

Withdrawal was not fun..still having a few stomach issues but everything else is o.k.

Good luck and please take your time..

How many mgs are you on??

• Posted

Kathryn, how much are you currently taking? 

I wouldn't think two weeks is a long time enough to create severe withdrawal issues.

• Posted

I would agree with  you Joe that 2 weeks is not really long  enough to get the addiction . But it also depends I guess on what was the dosage you were taking ?  And even on that short of a time you will prob would still get some withdrawal.  So it is good advise to go slowly. How much did you start on actually?  My case was different . I was on 4 years of 1200 per day.......So I have (and still am on a withdrawal dose ) come down from that gradually now about 10 weeks and feel very much better, although I am still getting some symptoms. But now I am on between 50 to 100 mg/pe day. Yes, take it slow. 
  • Posted

I would do it very slow. This is a bad drug for withdrawal symtoms. I am on 2100mg daily and a few times I have missed a dose. It left me feeling very bad with Shakes, sweats, and no sleep.

• Posted

Kathryn  The benefit of Gabapentin take about 2 weeks as it builds in your body. Any side effect should begin to disappear around the same time. I would highly recommend talking it over with your doctor before you make a decision. What side effects are you experiencing? Merna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.