Need To Hear From Low Ferritin Champions

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had an extremely low ferritin of 5 about 2 months ago, and I have been on ferrous fumerate 106 elemental mg, twice a day, for a little over a month.  

My latest lab revealed that my ferritin is now up to 28, however I am still experiencing the most debilitating symptom for me - constant lightheadedness or wooziness.

I have a three year old to take care of every day and this lightheadedness or dizziness or whatever the heck it is is driving me INSANE!

My nurse practitioner told me that my numbers are still a tad low and to keep plodding along, but admittedly I am very bad at taking the slow road.  

I would LOVE to hear from any of you low ferritin champions who have been where I am and can now say that YES, the lightheadedness is gone.  Also do you remember what your ferritin level was when you actually FELT NORMAL AGAIN?! 

Thank you so much, in advance,

Rose

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rose

My ferritin has typically been around 22. Do you have any other blood results like FBC and Iron studies? Have you requested an iron infusion. I had one at it really makes the difference. 

Have you tried Spatone lots of people say that even though it is lower in iron their iron levels increase quickly because it is absorbed quicker?

• Posted

Jenny thank you for the response.  

A month ago before beginning iron supplements my numbers were:

Hemoglobin:  12.8 normal

TIBC:  480 high

UIBC:  423 normal

Iron Serum:  57 normal

Iron Saturation:  12 low

Ferritin:  5

Just a week ago, after using ferrous fumerate for a 6 weeks, my labs were:

Hemoglobin:  13.3 normal

TIBC:  338 normal

UIBC:  206 normal

Iron Serum:  132 normal

Iron Saturation:  39 normal

Ferritin:  28

My numbers are all now "normal."  However the lightheadedness continues and varies from a background annoyance to a full on dizzy spell.

Don't get me wrong, I love my new lab numbers and am excited that they are going in the right direction.  But why do I still feel awful?!

Maybe I'm expecting too much and it's just going to take a full 3-4 months for the blood to turn over in my body, and for me to feel better?

FYI I do have heavy and long periods from Hashimoto's, and I am going to get a D&C and mirena inserted next month.  Maybe that'll end the whole crisis for me once and for all!  

What is your low ferritin attributed to?

• Posted

I don't know what my low ferritin is attributed to they are still carrying out investigations. 

I find that being within the range I can still feel pretty crappy. I think the closer you are to the end of iron and ferritin is better. IANAD so it might be worth revisiting your doctor to make sure it isn't anything else. 

The good thing is that your levels are increasing so should just be time. 

• Posted

Yes probably just need a little more patience....which is so hard to come by when you feel awful, isn't it?!  

Thanks again for the reply and I hope you get your ferritin cause sorted out soon!

• Posted

Hi Rose: I use the polysaccharide form of iron as it is far better absorption rate. Until I started using that form the increase in number was far too slow. You might also want to ask your dr. to test your B12 levels ( I didn't see it in your blood work up) as low iron levels and low B12 levels can go hand in hand. Low B12 levels will also exhibit the same symptoms that you are experiencing. 

• Posted

Thank you Jace, I have had the B12 tested and thankfully its in the 700's.

I am also battling Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and I think that's contributing to my annoyng dizziness problem.   

• Posted

Ah, your dizziness may be due to your medication. Dizziness is a rare side effect of thyroid medication but it can be indicative that your dose is not correct. 

If your GP is treating you for your thyroid issues you might want to ask to see an Endocrinologist as thyroid issues is their field of study. 

• Posted

I didn't think low ferritin even caused symptoms. Mine was 7 and I felt great. Ferritin can be very low before it starts to affect haemoglobin, rbc etc.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.