Nefopam

Posted , 6 users are following.

both my daughter and myself have fibromyalgia, nefopam has been the only pain relief that has really helped. we use to take coproxamol but when it was removed from the market we had great trouble trying other medication with no relief. we were prescribed nefopam by prof **** from a hospital in London who is in an expert in treating this very painful debilitating condition, we have now been using it for four months and would not change to any other pain relief. with nefopam you do need to slowly increase the dose and this relieves and side efects as your body gets use to it as with all medicaton it will not suit everyone all that i can say is give it a try and if doesnt work try something else. hope this helps

[color=green:cf3b213813][size=9:cf3b213813][b:cf3b213813][i:cf3b213813](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed a Doctor, Consultant and or Hospital name from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.) [/i:cf3b213813][/b:cf3b213813][/size:cf3b213813][/color:cf3b213813]

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello. I agree Nefopam is far better than a lot of other analgesics. I used to take Coproxamol as well years ago and had difficulty finding something to replace it. However Nefopam seems to do the trick and certainly helps the pain I suffer from my rheumatoid arthritis.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed last year with Fibromyalgia.   I have joined a large facebook group dedicated to those suffering from the condition and the differences in prescribed medication I have seen is just bewildering.  I have had a real eye opener to how this debilitating condition affects us all and also the differing severity in symptoms we all struggle to cope with.

Along with 4 others, I am also taking Nefopam and I was told by a nurse that this medication also strengthens the affectivness of codeine, but I guess everyone is different because I personally have not noticed the difference.

But do not despair because as I say there are plenty more to try, and its going to be a case of trial and error to find the right match for you.

• Posted

Hello Chris

I have been diagnosed recently with Fibromyalgia for a second time i had it 8 years ago for 2 years and got better from it . I am on Citilopram for depression and these have helped and felt better mentally but for some reason the Fibromyalgia has returned with a vengence i also have to urinate more frequently,I have been to the docs today and he has prescribed Nefopram i was a bit worried about taking them as i have a very sensitive stomach and cannot take anything ibuprofen based or anything with Codeine.After taking the first one i developed a headache and felt lioke i was having an anxiety attack also made me sleepy. does this sound normal? I work full time so am hoping to still continue working taking the painkillers to help me through the day.I will  join the fibromyalgia group on facebook also for support .

I hope you find something to help with the pain soon as it can make you feel very low having to suffer the pain continually.

Karen

• Posted

Hello karen I hope you don't mind me joining in here. When I first started taking Nefopam I did get headaches but after a few days they settled. They also made me feel a bit light headed but I think again as your body adjusts to them it gets better. Nefopam are supposed to be a very effective painkiller as it is give to postoperative patients and to women in labour. Hope you get used to them and can get back to normal.
    • Posted

Hello Matron

Thank you for your positive feedback I hope I do get used to the Nefopam as enduring the pain from Fibromyalgia and attempting to carry on as normal is becoming increasing difficult . I endured the side effects from the citilpram so will stick with it.

Thank you

Karen

• Posted

Hello there guys,  Karen I have had a few side effects every time I have had medication added to what I take already.  The pharmacists nextdoor to my gp always tell you to try and soldier on for atleast 2 weeks, unless its a very bad reaction and you would have to go back and see your gp.  A good example would be when they put me on tramadol, I was very nautious, dizzy, hot and cold temperaures and I was vomiting blood.

So at the moment I am on paracetamol, codeine phosphate, naproxen, nefopam, gabapentin, lansoprazole and calcium/vitD3 chew tablets.....just call me Mrs Tictacs.

• Posted

Hi Chris 

Thank you for the advice I will stick with it. I too have Lansoprazole just in case  smile

• Posted

Hi there. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about a year and half ago. I've been on gabapentin high dose for about 9 mths now. It's just not cutting the Mustard now. I am going to my doctor today and going to ask about nefopam. I also have severe depression and anxiety. Antidepressants help a lot but I'm getting to the stage where I feel the pain is now affecting my mental health too. I take gabapentin lanzaprazole and vitamin d3. I hope I find something that helps as I can't take tramadol or coding. Thanks for reading

• Posted

Hi

My doctor has given me Nefopam as I cannot take anything ibuprofen based or anything stronger than paracetamol. Nefopam do not seen to do anything , maybe I'm not taking them correctly , I only take them when I feel I need them it says on the box 1 tablet 3 times a day 30 mg . I too have fibromyalgia and the pain in my hips neck, back and chest is worse at night so never get rested sleep which I think is the same as every one who is a fibro sufferer . I'm also on Citilapram for depression this has been brilliant ,

Gentle hugs to you and your daughter x

• Posted

Hi Karen. I take 2 Nefopam at a time. One at a time would be useless for me.
  • Posted

hello! it'sa been a while on this thread, but I'm desperate, or nearly. I just requested my usual repeat prescription for nefopam, and received a phone call said they aren't supposed to prescribe it now. the doc is phoning this evening, but, has anyone else run into this?

• Posted

I recently received a letter from my gps surgery to say they were stopping prescribing Nefopam and I could no longer get it even though I'm not a regular user of the medication because I was only prescribed it when I was admitted to hospital more than 18 months ago, but it does make you think the reason behind all of this and why it's being stopped and also in the letter it says it's highly addictive, I still have some in the cupboard and I'm tempted to take some because I'm in agony at the moment with a very severe attack of gout .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.