Negative colonoscopy

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have all the classic signs of crohns, loose tummy, abdominal pain, bad dispepsia,loud tummy noises, weight loss and fatigue and high calprotectin in my stool but my colonoscopy yesterday showed up as normal. Doctor wants another stool sample but thinks its an infection.I'm not going mad, I know there is something more going on.. Has this happened to anyone else ?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Have the thought  of  IBS some of your symptoms sound a little  bit like  that Maybe a  barium x ray would show  that  as thats  what mine  was a few years  ago
  • Posted

I was thinking the same as Barbara, IBS. Was the colonoscopy ver painful because the doctor told me I probaly had an irratble section in my bowel thats why it was painful
    • Posted

Its was uncomfortable but certainly not painful. I've had streaks of blood and mucus in my stools does this happen with IBS? just don't feel right.
    • Posted

Thanks for the input ladies, its much appreciated but I'm still not convinced its IBS. Ive just read that calprotectin levels are normal in IBS, mine are elevated to over 700mcg\g
    • Posted

Keep going back to Docs untill you have a proper diagnosis. Sometimes you have to be a nuisence for them to take notice. You know when things aren't right. Don't be fobbed off 
  • Posted

I don't know what "catprotectin" is but there must be something wrong with all those problems. You are not going crazy. Sometimes it takes a doctor a long time to figure things out. I went along with diarrhea,bleeding weight loss and no appitite for about 7 mo. I had been tested for everything. I believed I had a parisite but was already tested for it. I asked my doc to test again.She hesitated becausde she said they only test on watery stools and I had soft somewhat formed stools. I asked if she could ask them to do it anyway because the symptoms fit.They retested and after more than 7 mo. I had the answer. It was a parisite called Geardia.She was very surprised. I think she gave me 1 or 2 pills and in 2 days I was completely better. Sometimes you have to just insist in a calm but firm way..I also lost 50 lbs.4 yrs.ago,with many other problems. It took me insisting after 7mo. that I thought I had a blockage. The Dr said you couldn't have a BM if you had a blockage. I said I told you I have had diarrhea for the last 3 mo. and I KNOW, you can have that and still have a blockage. He raised his eyebrows,looked at the other 2 docs and said to me,I guess we could do a CAT scan. He acted like he was placating me. Less than 1 hr. later I was rushed to surgery to remove a blockage that had killed my ascending and part of my transverse colon. I was actually on the verg of death. I'm fine now because I spoke my mind.You do the same.Good luck and God Speed ,barbara26695
    • Posted

Just wanted to add,Sorry, I put wrong # down. It's Barbara63999. Also, The doctor who finally did the CAT scan said it was most likely a cancerous tumor and when I woke up, I would most likely have a bag on my side to colect stool. The tumor was in the small intestine but had intusasepted into the Lg intestine and that is why that part becane necrotic. They also had to take out 1/2 of my small intestine,but NO CANSER and NO BAG. . After that I developed dumping syndrom and it took 2 yrs and 3 docs to figure that out. I take 2 pills with meals and I'm just fine untill the Lord calls me home.
  • Posted

Sorry to here that you are suffering. I too have calprotectin greater than 600, abdominal pain, passing mucus, lethargy no diarrhoea but constipation. I had a Ct with contrast but was normal. I had a flexi sigmoidoscopy the other day and could clearly see some white patches in the rectal region. Awaiting biopsy results. My doctor also wants another stool sample to check for c. Diff? I haven't had that I am sure I would know. Let me know how you get on. Try not to worry ( not that easy I know) xx
    • Posted

It turns out I do have IBS but on further investigation and an elevation in my symptoms was finally diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, often linked with IBS
  • Posted

Hey, I am almost have all of yout symptoms. I did colonoscopy two days ago evety thin was normal. Stool test was normal. I do not know what is the problem so?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.