negative pregnancy tests but i feel pregnant...when will the test be positive

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been off the birth control pill for 10 weeks. The last time i went off the pill i got pregnant right away. I have been gaining weight, I'm hungry all the time, period is not normal, very very tired all the time, mood changes. ..... I'm so upset because the tests are still negative. How far were you when you got a positive test result? Feel like I'm crazy...lol...

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

How long have you been testing for? If it is more than a week or two it is unlikely you are pregnant. I expect the way you are feeling is your body readjusting. I had all the symptoms you are describing when I came off the pill and it made me feel paranoid lol.

It has only been 10 weeks, I know you fell quickly last time which may make you impatient this time, but it is still early days and your body will take a little time to get back to normal.

Also, the worrying, stressing and hoping can exaggerate the symptoms which doesn't help, since it makes you notice every single twinge your body makes and further convinces you that you are pregnant. In fact, if you are like me, you will get gas rumbling in your lower gut and convince yourself it is a baby kicking!!!

All you can do is keep on doing the deed and testing every few weeks. It will be easier when your periods settle back down, if they are irregular it means that so is your ovulation, which makes things harder.

Hope you get the result you are looking for soon hun, just prepare yourself for the fact it may take some time. xxx

• Posted

It sounds to me more like hypothyroid issue. Your symptoms are exactly like that. After 10 weeks off the pill, and if you were able to get pregnant easily first time round, and if you are regularly having intercourse then you in all rights would be pregnant now.

Get your GP to run a full thyroid function testing, that is TSH, Free T4, Free T3 and antibodies.

Let me know the readings and we can go from there.

Cheers

• Posted

It can take healthy couples a year to get pregnant, and doctors wont even consider looking for issues until you have been trying for a year to eighteen months, simply because it is normal for it to take that long. I can't help but feel saying she should, in all rights, be pregnant after just 10 weeks is a tad unhelpful?

Recommending a TFT is a good idea though since she has only recently come off the pill it is most likely her body readjusting. xxxxxx

• Posted

If crissy had been required the pill for bleeding problems in the first instance then yes, I can agree. We do not know if that is the case and if her periods now are unusual for her. If she had regular periods prior to taking the pill, and had intercourse regularly then it stands to reason she would likely be pregnant now. Women who had no previous issues without the pill tend to get pregnant fairly quickly once the first menstruation has established.

The pill suppresses ovulation so she may be all over the place right now hormonally due to thyroid.

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and advice. I am getting some thyroid tests done just to make sure it isnt that. My periods were off before I started back on the pill after my daughter was born so maybe it will just take some time to get back on track. My plan is to just stay healthy and what will be will be. smile  I am also taking ltyrosine for migraines, if anyone knows anything about this interfering with pregnancy please let me know. I have researched it but hasn't been tested enough from what I can tell. Redwood girl---this does help thyroid function, do you think it will help or delay getting pregnant? I take it for migraines and would be positively miserable if I even miss it one day. I did go off all the intense migraine meds the doctor had me on when I went off the pill.
    • Posted

basically I went off all prescription meds except for wellbutrin. This really helps manage my migraines and I took it when I was pregnant with my daughter and she turned out great so we are good there.
  • Posted

Hi Chrissy, sometimes you can put too much pressure on yourself that your stress levels affect you getting pregnant. I am not going to say stop thinking about it, because I know myself how difficult that is to do, but what I did was to take on a project to try and take my mind off it for a while. I hope all goes well for you in the future smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.