Nerve Block for foot pain after bunion surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone I had double bunion surgery 7 months ago. With my right foot the pain is making it vert hard for me to get my foot flat onto the groud. I have had exrays and a scan and that show everyting seems to have healed ok however due to the pain I am walking on sides of my feet this is causing other issues wirth aligment etc... So I am off to have a nerve block put into my back to help with this and hopefully get me walking. Sometimes talking to the surgeon is difficult as he does not really know what is going on. Has anyone had a nerve block put into their back for the same sort of reason and if so how was it done and did it help?  Thank you all for lisrterning.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pauline, poor you! I had one foot done 10 months ago but same problem. Large joint is so painful. Getting a steroid inj into the joint on 27th to try and take the pain away. Like you my surgeon cannot explain my pain and stiffness. Really fed up with footwear after all this time due to lack of flexibility. My son has just got engaged and the thought of what shoes I can wear to a wedding in the future has me in a panic!

Hope your block helps your symptoms.

• Posted

Thanks Susan good luck to you also. I amoso over it. And I keep what u mean by shoes I can only get into one pair and I csn not wear shorts or a dress with it. (I am in Tasmania). Good luck
  • Posted

Have you been doing flexibility exercises?  My surgeon just said to start using the foot at 6 weeks and I got into my sneakers.  I am now a little past eigt weeks and doing ok, I think.  However, mu surgeon had no exercises for me so I went online and found a week to week course of exercises--that's when I started to make real progress.  Can't walk on my tiptoes yet, but it's coming.  Yes, they were uncormfortable, but sticking with it has made life a lot better.  Hope the block helps you, sounds drastic to me.
    • Posted

Yes been doing exercises for a while. I have tried everything. This is of no fault of mine. I am not sure if nerve block will help me but I am out of options. I still cant get shoes in comfortable I am wearing very wide fitting ones. Limits what I can wear. My foot feels squashed and tight all the time. They say that the block may help me get the foot flat. Its becoming frustrating as I am doing everything they say to do. I am doing my very best.
    • Posted

I need some excercises can you tell me the website you used ? 

I am 7 weeks post op and so stiff and doc told me I didn't need to do excercises as it would just heal with time... but I think I need to do some excercises... 

• Posted

I'm sure you are doing everything you an think of to get relief and make progress.  I'm grateful be having a different experience so far.  Gook Luck.  I just hope whoever you are seeing medically knows what they are doing.  Feel terrible for you--it's not only painful and discouraging, but depressing.  I'm sure you feel that you will be permanently hampered; I know the first month was that way for me.  Thank Heavens it passed!  Hopeing the best for you.
  • Posted

Hi Pauline,

Sorry your having so much trouble with your right foot and walking flat. Has your consultant not suggested any foot physio or any exercises that might help it? Surprised they don't have any idea and do wonder if it is to do with your arch? Does that differ from your left foot I wonder?

Are you able to make a referral?

I'm only on week 3 so still have a long way to go! I wish you the best of luck resolving this, sounds troubling for you.

• Posted

Yes Nicole I have been doing physio and it has not really helped much. My left foot is a bit different to the right one so that is why they were doing the block for the right only. I have done everything I have been told to do with not much luck. I am actually thinking of getting a second opinion as this has gone on long enough and sometimes its like talking to a brick wall with my surgeon. I had the block yesterday no relief yet but they said it could take a couple of days or so to notice anything different. My foot is very swollen this morning and still quite sore. Anyway I will see how it goes in a few days time.
    • Posted

Sounds stressful for you Pauline let's hope the block helps in some way! Perhaps one foot recovery time is much longer than the other perhaps? It does seem to vary for everybody from the forums I've read through. Guess we're all unique in our own way! Don't give up hope though and yes it's easier for me to say this.

Maybe worth another referral for a peace of mind!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.