Nerve Conduction Studies

Posted , 8 users are following.

just got back from Nerve Conduction Studies, if you go for them and they tell you the needle into the muscle doesn't hurt THEY LIE!! If you are old enough to remember the size of old syringes that's what they shove into your arm at least ten different places then they send an electric current through the blooming needle, OUCH.  The first tests aren't too bad and I thought that they were only going to do those ones, it's like a very strong TENS so not exactly pleasant but bearable. At the end of it all I've got three trapped nerves one right elbow, one right wrist and one left wrist so that's a few pains I can hopefully get rid of with injections.

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Ouch cant say I would be over keen on having that done, but it sounds very interesting take care gentle hugneutral
  • Posted

Glad you made it through it. I had that test done in April an not fun at all.
  • Posted

Ouch!! Only ever had one needle in the muscle..it was iron and I was pregnant.....sooo hurt for hours after..poor you shelagh..gentle hugs..be blessed..have a nice day..:-) xx
  • Posted

Shelagh, you poor thing. That's a rough day. I've had a couple of NCTs and they're definitely not pleasant. Hopefully though you'll get the treatment you need. 

Good luck with it all. Gentle hugs

• Posted

Hi Shelagh

I had this done too and for the most part it just tingled... but I agree with you, as one really long fine needle was pushed into the inside of my left calf muscle, low down, I winced and told the man it hurt... I started to implore with him to take it out and was crying. I still have, to this day a very faint looking bruised looking patch where it went in and it twitches like mad when my FM is bad.

I don't know if he actually performed this correctly or not but my test results only showed mild median nerve lesion in my wrists, from Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, I was told.

Don't ever want to do that again, nice to know I'm not the only one who found it painful. I thought I was being a baby, maybe.

Take care, Shelagh

Love Angie

• Posted

My right arm and hand are really sore this morning and it's covered in little bruises where the needle went in, poor doctor kept apologising, I think because he kept hitting a nerve with the needle which made me wince. My left hand hurts too, it's either come out in sympathy or it's the electrodes making the muscles and nerves twitch. I'm not sure whether they should warn you it may hurt or not but telling me the second part where they look at the muscle doesn't hurt at all was bad for me. I have a very high pain threshold or so I've been told by several doctors, nurses and midwives, I think if I didn't I'd have jumped but I'm really good at isolating an area of pain. If fibro was isolated pain I could cope with it but there are too many areas to do it on, I have tried.

Tesco delivery coming today, oh deep joy, a months worth of shopping to put away rolleyes

• Posted

Hi shelagh I am like you have a high pain threshold but fibro is a pain Im struggling hard to cope with. difficult to isolate fibro unfortunatly as its all over all we can do is try different things to help ease the pain doing that easier said than done its trial error with everything. fibro is certainly a learning curve for us all. I have a sainsburys delivery at 11 the thing I hate the most is putting it away especially as at the min I keep dropping stuffrolleyes onwards upwards battle on take care gentle hug x
    • Posted

I'm dropping things too, it's really strange, my hand opens and twitches sideways so I basically chuck stuff at the floor! 

Gentle hugs xxx

• Posted

Im forever doing it trouble is weve then got to try and pick things up? which is a nightmare when you have a bad back and struggling to grip things you have to laugh at times or we would be in tears all day hope your not in too much pain hope you have a good day well as well as we possibly can take care gentle hugsmile
    • Posted

I bought a grabber from B&Q, supposed to be for picking things up in the garden, best thing ever! Also got a long dustpan and brush, second best thing ever.

gentle hugs xxx

• Posted

Hi shelagh my shopping delivery came early had to get my son out of bed to help struggle to lift the bags and take things out the bags rolleyes glad its cooled off here today the hot weather has killed the flowers in my hanging basket we only put them in sat take care gentle hug
    • Posted

Hi shelagh my husband is going to get me a grabber, a long handled dust pan brush sounds a good idea will get 1 of those also gentle hugs xx anything to make life that bit easier
    • Posted

Hi Kaz mine came at spot on eleven, lovely fella, another Geordie I could have talked to him all day, I miss the Geordie sense of humour, we had a good laugh. I've put most of it away, Dan told me to leave everything I could and he'd put it away but that felt wrong so I've put the freezer and fridge stuff away and left the tins and bottles to the absolute delight of the dogs especially the pup! So glad we have internet shopping I struggled when I had to go shopping all those years before this fantastic service.

hugs, enjoy your lovely cool day, it's the same here, all doors and windows open, lovely breeze blowing through.

• Posted

AWw Shelagh what exactly is the Nerve Conduction Studies done for? sounds awful, was it worth it? what was the verdic then? Poor you

Sue x

• Posted

It was to see why I have pain, tingling, burning type of feelings in my hands, dropping things and twitching too. Now we know where the nerves are trapped I'm hoping the Rheumatoligist can do injections to cure it! I know she can do wonders for carpal tunnel syndrome but done know if that's the same. Finger metaphorically crossed!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.