Nerve damage resulting from lumbar laminectomy

Posted , 9 users are following.

Two years ago I had a laminectomy in the L4/L5 area to relieve severe pain in my right quad, apparently caused by stenosis.  (I'm 68 now but was an avid road cyclist in the years just before this.   And I posted this in the Spinal Problems forum but haven't gotten any responses, so now I'm here!))  The operation eliminated the presenting pain in my quad, but I woke up with nerve damage below that area, specifically the calf down through my entire foot.  My assumption is that a nerve was severed during the surgery.  The feeling is not what I think of a "regular" pain (thankfully) but is more like standing up on a leg that was crossed under your body for too long while sitting on a floor.  So while I can drive, my leg feels as though it's got a fiberglass cast on it---not the best feeling while behind the wheel.   I really haven't seen any improvement in the feeling over the past two years; not with extensive phytical therapy and a lengthy course of Gabapentin (2400 mg/ day for a number of months).   Has anyone else experienced anything similar from their spinal surgery, or found anything that's been useful in relieving such a condition?  Thanks in advance for any help.

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My nerve damage is caused by chemotherapy treatments 28years ago they have hurt thru the years but the last two years they have hurt every day they gabapentin has helped with some of the pain and jerking but they have never quit
    • Posted

That's  interesting Judy.  I also have had cancer followed by chemotherapy and radiotherapy.  It was about 20 years ago now.  I first started to get the neuropathic pain about a year ago.  I can honestly say I would rather go back to having chemo etc than this chronic unending pain.

Good luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Steve,

Yes I have what you are suffering with -- neuropathy. It can be cause by an injury or surgery. I had a fusion and laminectomy in 2012 and have been on gabapentin for all that time. I think this medication isn't helping BUT then I think maybe it is helping and can't imagine what the pain would be like!!! It is such a crazy bunch of sensations almost impossible to explain to anyone who does not have neuropathy. Fast forward to September 2015. I had foot surgery, a bunionectomy and two hammertoes repaired. Well that opened Pandora's box for more nerve pain. I am on pain medication, muscle relaxers, a new one Horizant to replace the gabapentin. I've been going to physical therapy -- no help. I've had epidurals -- no help. I am now scheduled for a series of 3 nerve blocks. I pray they help. I will let you know how it goes. The first one is 7/29. I can absolutely sympathize with your problems. Good luck. Karen

• Posted

I was left for 5 day by my old local hospital the took a mri scan on the 5 the day show I had major compression of the spine. When I was sent to the hospital on day 1 I was sent home even though I had a letter from my doctor. Any cut it short I was taken from my hospital bed to Kings hospital this was at 1 in the morning blue lighted. Straight to the area near theatres. I was operated on I was told they had relieve the compression but they were sure I had suffered nerve damage from my waist down. Over the newt few months I was in and out of the neuro unit. Any way. I had mobility issues. I 1st stop weeing so I had a subapubic catheters. I then had a colostomy as I could not poo that's permanent. Stoma. Then my bladder started getting infections all the time that was 2012 I had in July a ileal conduit wee stoma Tey lifted my bladder in that was removed ad it went septic. Then I had 2 major hernia operations then a colostomy revision they at to read do it as it was a mess. I won out of court damages as if they had admitted me and relieved the compression I would have had some mobility issues but not like I have now. I moved hospital to guys and St Thomas's London. I have had 7 major operation my right leg is very weak and I have foot dropsy. My life has been turned upside down. I lost my job in the mod I can't play golf I spend a lot of time indoors or at my caravan. My damages were so serve I was paid a lot of damages. I have a syndrome cauda equine established mean I have server nerve damage to my lower half my pain is unbearable at times but does this sound familiar legs feel like when u hit ur fun bone number Ness which does not go away I feel more things when I stand I can drive but will need to have a adaption later. I am numb round my crutch I get things like hot and cold water down my legs running on pebbles in bare feet that is pain full u name I get it. It's the sciatic pains they are bad. I have been put forward to a neuromodulation in plant I have got to go and stay at the hospital for 2 weeks in October. The operation cost 25000 so u must be right for it the operation is a major. If it works it disrupt so the pain signals my mri scan most up to date shows I have discussed bulges everywhere it's now affecting my arms and hands and neck.they say I will know if I do get another compression they will operate. Right any of this familar. I was on gabapentin 600mg a day now I am on progabline 600mg a day I have 30mg slow release morpthine 2 a day. Gut tablet then at night I have 125mg notripiline. Plus tramzone 1 tablet help me sleep. I think u need a mri and seems to me u have disc touching ur spine. It's definitely a related condition to mine. I wish I had my old life back I loved my job. I was 50 now 8 years on I have a massive scar up my middle my right leg goes dead with out warning I was made to use a stick as I had 2 bad falls 1 kept me in hospital for 2 months they said I had fluid on my spine area near the operation site when I was got up after 6 weeks I had a hoist to get me up with intense pyhiso. I no a lot of it as been about me but what u wrote I have the same nerve feelings yours keith

• Posted

Hi Steve, I found the Gabapentin I had prescribed didn't touch my pain at all.  I have been on so many different drugs but I can say that nothing eliminates my pain.  I was in hospital a few weeks ago for an operation to release the nerve roots in my spine.  Unfortunately this didn't take place, which I think I posted on the forum previously.  (a blood clot in my lung).

The only thing I did find was that I was being given some liquid morphine which helped, although not completely,  to relieve the chronic pain I was in.  Nothing I have been prescribed totally relieves the pain.  When I left hospital

i was discharged with a small bottle of Oramorph Oral Solution (liquid morphine).  I have since had a renewal prescription given to me from my GP.  (Larger bottle)!  

I can tell you that this seems to relieve the pain slightly but we are all different and it might work better for you.  Maybe have a chat with your hospital or GP?  It says that it can be taken 4 times a day but I only take it morning and bedtime.

i can honestly say I commiserate with your pain.  Personally it's the worse pain I have ever had.

i hope it won't be too long now for my operation although I have been warned that it might not work or maybe only partly.  Still, anything will be better than nothing.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Just an update regarding my operation.  I went for my pre assessment last week tests prior to my operation on the 9th August.  I was going to come off the warfarin 5 days prior to my operation.  Now I've just had a phone called from the consultant telling me it will be too dangerous to have my operation on the 9th August!  In fact I "could have a fatality whilst having the operation at this time"!   I know I had lots of tests the other day and I was told they would be discussing my case.   Apparently, as I've only been on warfarin for about 6 weeks the hospital say that it should be approximately 6 months after commencing on warfarin.  So now I've been told my operation will be put on hold for a few months.

I must admit I am upset but if I'm honest it is more about knowing the terrible pain I'm in that will be with me for quite some time now.  On the other hand my grateful thanks to the hospital in preventing my "fatality".

• Posted

Sorry to hear about your pain. One thing I know about back surgery is that you need to advocate for yourself. If your surgeon doesn't have an absolute plan to solve your problem going in to the surgery, there is a good chance that the surgery will make things much worse. I don't mean to scare you but I want you to have a healthy fear of a very seeios surgery. I understand that your symptoms are horrific but please make sure your doctor is certain of the direct cause of your pain and has a clear plan to resolve the issue. One thing I learned about pain is that it can always get worse.

• Posted

I had urgent surgery. I would not recommend having back surgery. I would say it's 50 50 I am in so much pain I am going to have neuromodulation have a disc with a battery. I have to go and stay for a 2 Week assessment. If I go a head I don't mind if it get rid of some of the pain.

If u think ur surgeons have a plan for after care. Have it done. My after care as been terrible. Pain management lol I have gone to guys and St Thomas's. What a difference. To Kings Denmark Hill. All I got each visit was a mri scan then we removed the compression not the pain that was l5 4 s1 they had joined and snapped of in to a mass pressing main nerve root.

Your surgery will be alright if the don't torch the nerves.

• Posted

I already had the l3-l5 fusion 5 weeks ago. Doc is sending me for a doppler to rule out a clot and then a steroid dose pack. I will see him when that is done and he'll decide if more tests are necessary to rule out hardware or scar tissue irritation.

• Posted

Hi Steve, i haven't got the same problems as yourself but do suffer nerve pain from having operations. Mine is sharp shooting pains with locking in the knee and burning type pain through both legs from knee to my feet. However there is no cure for neuropathic pain. I find Gaberpentin helps and i also take amitriptyline at night to help with sleep.

• Posted

I take 3200 of gabapentin and 150 amatripaline at night and 50 amatripaline in the mornings and on norco 10 4 x a day and still have pain and starting to get numb spots on my legs and can't stand the cold makes it hurt worse

• Posted

How many gabapentin. I take the next one up progabline 600mg a day 30mg oxycontine slow release twice a day and notripiline 125mg in the evening plus tramzone 50mg to help sleep. That's enough if the neuromodulation surgery is a success I can get weaned off.

• Posted

Steve19128 hello, I have problems with whole leg going to sleep, which I never had happen until I was diagnosed with neuropathy. Never had back injury. Wish you the best at finding answers.Jmac
    • Posted

I have tried everything for pain. Either it did nothing or side side effects would try to kill me. I now take demerol for pain four times a day. Stops most of pain so I am able to do things. On far and few good days I get by with three times a day. I like the fact that I can function while taking them and not feel a zombie or a fog.
    • Posted

That's interesting!  I've never been offered Demerol for pain.  I will make a note of that one in case I'm taken of my Oralmorph in the future!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.