Nerve Pain after Chiropractor

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, I went to the chiropractor last week for a constant headache I've had for 6 weeks.  He did Xrays and showed me my neck was leaning to the right and did an adjustment.  I was reliefed for a few days then a muscle in my neck began hurting and I felt a pins and needles feeling in my neck.  I went back in for another adjustment of my neck and spine.  I did not experience any pain after but gradually my whole body is feeling prickly pains when I move around (arms, legs, chest). It's like my nerves are overreacting to the treatment. Is this normal to feel this way 48 hours after an adjustment?

2 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Have you seen this chiropractor prior to the two visits you mentioned?

IMO it is not to be expected to experience the second set of signs and symptoms that you describe after your second visit to the chiropractor.

​Have you had any x rays of your neck or spine at all?

​Has a bone profiles blood checks done or a dexa scan to rule out vitamin D deficiency and/or osteopenia and osteoporosisis?

I would contact the Chiropractor to check out the signs and symptoms or ring up another one and enquire.

I would consider changing chiropractor or seeing a physiotherapist for an assessment first.

Hope the above helps.

• Posted

Thanks for the response.  Yes he took Xrays of the neck and spine.  My primary dr thinks I've had a bad neuropathy reaction at this point and to stop adjustments. The chiropractor thinks it is normal at first to experience this and to continue treatement.  I'm just looking for relief or someone with similar experiences hoping this nerve pain subsides soon since its been 2 days.

• Posted

I would be wary of such heavy treatment. I had physio three weeks ago from a physio/osteopath. The treatment was more maniulation than gentle physio. I have been in increased pain since and vowed never to go to him again.

I would question the chiropractor.

Personally I would listen to the dr and perhaps ask around other chiropractors to try to get an unbiased opinion. Perhaps ask what treatment that they would recommend for someone with ... then describe present signs and symptoms withut mentioning that you have already seen a chiropractor.

I would ask another chiropractor the same questions giving them all the dtails as you have on here.

Their advice/response shoud then alert you as to whether they are after your money or are offering unbiased advice. I think the safest way forward is not to have any adjustments for the time being.

In my experience as a patient chiropractors vary so much in their opinions.

However as you have asked a direct question my response would be to play it safe and follow what your dr said.

• Posted

Well he would think it normal to avoid any repercussions. Sorry to appear cynical but I have had a couple of bad experiences myself.

Have u heard o a device called painresolv.

• Posted

I have been reading a book called Trick or Treatment, it was suggested that you should only use a chiropractor for spine not for neck.
    • Posted

I have read about that as well in various leaflets from chiropractors etc.
  • Posted

This does not sound normal to me at all and I would not be returning.  I have Osteoporosis and was told not to go to a Chiropractor for adjustments.  There is another Chiropracto treatment, Bio-something, where they use a gun type device, however, I was told not to get adjustments on my neck.  I have gone for Acupuncture treatments which often help.  I have an awesome dictir for that.  You might give that a try.  Other then that, if this continues, you might want to see a Neurologist for consultation.   
    • Posted

Margot Is that a device as small as a pencil torch? I saw one on the net a few hours ago. I have never tried it but it claims to help with musculo skeletal and nerve pain. May be worth a try.

BTW I have osteoporosis and have to be very careful but especially with my neck. I would never let anyone touch my neck. My NHS physio gave me vry gentle exercises for my neck. Just turning my head first to the left then to the right but very SLOWLY. Just a couple of times to the right and then to the left. If you move slowly you have sufficient notice to stop if something starts hurting .Obviously only do any exercises after a proper assessment by a qualified physiotherapist with a good reputation.

• Posted

I never looked at it closely, honestly, but it is a gun type instrument, I think.  He can treat specific areas.  Really, I have had luck with acupuncture but I have a very good doctor.  I had sciatic pain for 5 weeks. Chiropractor sent me for X-rays but no fractures. Decided to try acupuncture. My doctor told me it may or may not help. Went in on Tuesday, not much better on Wednesday, not unusual. Got up Thursday morning a little sore but no pain!!  Really, I had been miserable for 5 weeks.
    • Posted

Well Margot Only you know what he did to you exactly. As a physio said to me a few weeks ago it would be madness to knock anyone about who has osteoporoisis.

Are you bing treated for the osteoporosis and have you had dexa scans?

• Posted

Hi, reading your post alarmed me. I would stop this right now and get further test w neurologist. The symptoms you are experiencing suggest to me nerve irritation and that can mess you up but good. That reaction does not sound normal to me at all! Better safe than a lifetime of sorry w many limitations. Your regular Dr. advise sound way better to me. I live w nerve damage, it does not go away and it will change your physical abilities ten-fold. Be patient and make safe decisions. Knowledge is key, educate yourself as best you can. Good luck a hug is on the way. Cautious, cautious, is most important!!!
  • Posted

I have had a very bad experience with a chiropractor and would never let them touch me again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.