nerve signal felt in wrong spot?

Posted , 3 users are following.

A few months ago I had chin surgery done intraorally and everything seemed to have healed fine. Except now I have a very weird feeling that seems to have something to do with the nerves being damaged. When I touch  a very specific spot in my lower gum right under one of my tooth, I can feel a small electric shock in my bottom lip. But I'm touching my gum, not my lip! It's like the signal is being sent to the wrong place. I touch that spot on my gum, and I can feel something tingling in my lip, although they are not touching, and I'm not touching my lip at all. It's a really weird feeling, not hurtful but very annoying. I feel it when I eat and brush my teeth when I pass over that spot. 

Has anyone ever felt something like this, does it go away on its own, or is there something to be done?

I told the doctor, but he said it was the first time he heard this, told me it could be the nerves...

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have the same. I had several tooth extractions I cannot touch my gum with my tongue. It makes it almost impossible to eat. I have seen a neurologist about this and have another appointment. Nerves are like the electrical wiring in your home, you have to put the switch on at the wall for the light to come on. I'll keep you posted!
    • Posted

yes please keep me updated!! I really hope this is not permanent
  • Posted

I too have the same problem. It started in my teeth and without the approval of my dentist ,had him pull the tooth i thought it was coming from. Now it feels its in other teeth mainly on my right side. It's a tingling and i feel my heart beat in my teeth. I have had this for at least 3 years with a slit droop of my lips on the right side. I went to several neurologists and they just give you meds which did nothing for me. I also has a lidocaine drip which did nothing. They thought that it was trigenmial nerology but because the outside of my face doesn't hurt they ruled it out. I've been living with this for years and it doesnt get any better. The only relief i get is when i chew gum or suck on candy but my mouth is getting tired of chewing. I'm 48 years old and healthy otherwise. I wouldn't want anybody to feel this which is constant. The only time i don't feel it is in my sleep. If you find a cure ,please pass it along to me because I'm tired of feeling this way. I wish you didn't have to go threw this but i know what it feels like.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.