Nervous for doctor appointment

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. I have posted in this group a couple of times. I had a spinal fusion for grade 3 spondylilothesis (L5-S1)10 years ago L4-S1, my lower 2 screws are now broke and I have grade 2 spondylilothesis at L5/S1 and grade 1 at L4/L5. I don't know how this happened! I'm in a lot of pain and experiencing numbness/ tingliness in my legs and random burning on top of my feet. I am wondering others thoughts or experiences with anything similar? How does spondylilothesis return? I am very active and was a pretty avid runner before the pain started. I am young and recently moved 8 hours away from my family, my partner is going with me to my consult with the neurosurgeon. Does anyone have any good questions I should ask? (I am Still learning to navigate adult life smile ) thanks!!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I am sure someone else will be more helpful, I have not had my surgery yet, but wanted to say so sorry you are going through this, and I hope you get answers soon.
  • Posted

Ask about wallis ligament surgery google it
    • Posted

I would like to know how common is it for this to happen with fussion surgery, iv heard a few people say they've had problems with broken screws, I had my surgery 14 years ago and to be honest this scares the life out of me

• Posted

To get 14 yrs out of yr op is brill b4 any major problem s. There is always a chance that some one who's had fusion will need further surgery. Most people I read about only get 5 to ten yrs success from a fusion.

• Posted

Now that's scary and something else that wasn't mentioned, I was told once it was fused it was for life and then the past few years have heard of a few stories but I also heard there was a problem with a batch of hardware that was used at a particular time which was about 4 years after my surgery

• Posted

Nothing for life Hun are body's are changing all the time so even if the mechanic s dosnt fail are bone and other parts may. My consultant told me that there's a very good chance I'd need another fusion later on in life too due to the rest of the back Bergen put under pressure from the fusion. They are coming forward scientifically all the time so he's hoping that there's better instruments and equipment around now and in the future.

• Posted

Ah sorry to hear that, I hope there is something better if you ever need to have surgery again 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.