Nervous stomach/ high stomach acid

Posted , 6 users are following.

Has anyone tried Apple Cider Vinegar for neutralizing stomach acid? I am tired of taking acid blockers in order to feel well. My GI doc says it's nervous stomach, which as we all know is the infamous IBS. I am so sick and tired of all of my GI issues being defined as one thing - IBS.

Anyhow getting back to the vinegar, has it worked successfully for anyone? And how often did you drink it?

Thanks in advance! ☺️

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Barb,

When I had kidney stones I took some concoction that had apple cider vinegar in it. I must try it again (thanks for the prompt) because I have been having A LOT of reflux/acid indigestion issues lately. I have read from many sources that it is good for the liver. Though it might seem strange to treat stomach acid with an acid-containing vinegar, there is research suggesting that apple cider vinegar works by correcting low acid, hence reducing heartburn. Natural remedy experts say you should begin to feel relief very shortly after taking a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar followed by a glass of water.  I shudder when I think of it. And yet some people can drink it every morning (diluted of course or with a chaser of water). 

I have an amazing naturopath who is actually a pharmacist. He believes in a holistic approach and has helped so many people in our community. He and I are about the same age; recent seniors. I don't know if you are 'gettin' on' or not... He told me that as we age we have more trouble with digestion. We don't make enough digestive enzymes and need to supplement. They usually contain such ingredients as amylase, lactase, protease and lipase. They help ease the symptoms of IBS but also chronic indigestion.

Another highly recommended approach along with digestive enzymens are taking

probiotics which contain friendly bacteria.  Probiotics replace the "bad" bacteria in your intestines with "healthy" ones.

I do take probiotics in my morning smoothie. And I was taking the enymes but lost them in the back of a cupboard... I will definitely take the apple cider vinegar again because I have been taking too many antacids lately. I should try 'prevention' which would make much more sense. 

Cheers!

• Posted

Thanks for your reply, Robin. I actually our my ACV in a glass of water and it's quite tasty if you put a few drops of liquid stevia in it. I am going to start drinking it three times a day and then wean myself off acid blockers and see if it will work. I have some more reading to do.

I actually take a great probiotic in the morning which has succeeded in ridding me of this constant hunger problem that I have had several times over the past few years. It works wonders. I take another at night that helps with constipation, but only because it has magnesium in it. I have IBS C but have resolve that with enough magnesium and these probiotics. And I drink so much water, I think I am part fish!! LOL

• Posted

Good idea! I have stevia and will put some in the glass. I forgot to take it this morning before breakfast...and had to take an antacid. It is coming up to lunchtime (here in Canada) and so will guzzle a glass of water with 1 TBSP of organic apple cider vinegar in it AND stevia. I will let you know in a few days how it goes. I normally take as many as 4 antacids in a day...which is not good. It blocks B12...which many people over 50, including myself are low in. Thanks for the advice!
    • Posted

It is great to see someone learning about their situation and researching what will help and taking control, knowledge is power. Which probiotic do you take? I had a while of feeling very hungry all of the time even if I ate a big meal, its horrid isnt it.
    • Posted

It is great that you have someone you can swap notes with and I can see the good in taking biotics but when I took them they made me more ill for a week, felt awful,

the started to feel better. When people write that the biotics made them feel awful so they reduced the dose I wonder where their brains are. If something makes me feel awful I would not take it again even in a smaller dose.

• Posted

Just a suggestion but why not take a vitamin b pill every day if you are worried about the vitamin b?
    • Posted

Yes, I have vitamin B12 that I take not every day...but when it occurs to me. It is sublingual meaning you put the tiny, sugary 'pill' under the tongue which is the best way to absorb it. Some people who are seriously deficient take B12 shots. I think the shots are the latest 'designer remedy' for what ails you. I hear about people going to their doctors for them to lose weight and feel energized. Apparently it prevents 'brain shrinkage' and improves memory. Must try to [u]remember[/u]  get on that B12!...
    • Posted

Call me suspicious Robin but with my various experiences with doctors and hospitals and all of the disappointments nobdoy would blame me. I think they invent things like shots so they can charge a lo tof money for them rather than tell you to get some cheap multi vitamins. I write in my diary what needs to be taken each day and tick it off or rub it out as I take it so I never forget.
    • Posted

Hi Carmel,

I wouldn't normally find fault with the medical establishment on a public forum...because doctors of course do treat illness successfully and do save lives. But personally, I have a disdain for doctors. I find that they prescribe much too quickly and don't take the time to delve into the CAUSE of illnesses. Adult onset diabetes for example can be cured...with lifestyle changes. Constipation, also a modern era condition, can be cured with lifestyle changes; diet, water, exercise, adequate sleep, stress reduction etc.. Personally I don't have a doctor. If I have a problem, I do my own research and rely on my own judgement...after all I have lived with this body for 65 years. I know it better than anyone else...and I care more about my own health than anyone else. My aim is to never go on any medication. Supplements such as vitamins or minerals...fine. But no drugs for me, thank you. They cause more problems than they fix. And I don't want to be spending my senior years going to doctors. I run from immunization because some experts who dare to oppose Big Pharma suspect that it is immunization that is causing the huge upsurge in allergies and auto-immune disease...that's for another forum! 

Here is a link to an excellent site on digestion. I think it is within this site that it is explained the affect of acid on reflux. Or maybe it was on an apple cider vinegar site... If I find it, I will post it.

Someone recently addressed me as 'Mr'....but actually I am a woman. Here in Canada 'Robins' are female. He he he...

Emis moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site not suitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want the link please use the message service to request it.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/private-messages-226361

• Posted

Hi, I take Ultimate Flora 30 billion. It has 10 strains. After suffering for weeks I took it in the morning and the hunger subsided by 4 pm and has not returned. That was a month ago. I had had several episodes over the past few years and hated them! Was so ecstatic that I could feel normal again! I never took a probiotic that I could actually "feel" any relief from.
    • Posted

Yes understand what you mean. I think a lot of them are hype where they blind you with science, same as the face ccreams and things, it puts the price up too. Maybe just one of those strains in the Ultimate Flora was what you were short of at the time?
    • Posted

Totally agree with you but you are entitled to your opinion and you can say what you like. You are only NOT allowed to find fault with a doctor if you mention a specifc one

and what you say is untrue. Then he could sue you for defamation of character. He is unlikely to ever know though.

Diabetes 2 is treatable with lifestyle changes. I do get fed up with people who eat a lot of junk food and rubbish and over eat and then say poor little me I am ill. Same with those who drink or smoke etc. Nice to know I am talking to a woman, I did presume before you were a man.

• Posted

Hi barb, I have tried Apple Cider Vinegar to neutralise my stomach acid as I was told it would cancel out my stomach acid. I tried it for a short period of time and did feel better. I took a tablspoon of it and mixed it with a tablespoon of honey within a cup of hot water. It does taste rather awful but with honey its not so bad. I found it did help my stomach feel lighter in a sense and I usually did this first thing in the morning as my acid reflux seems to be in play in the mornings. Hope this helps! 
    • Posted

Mine is always worse first thing in morning, is that the same with you? I find it seems to gradually get better as the day goes on. But as I live in the UK I take medicine for it rather than spend money on other things. I can get the medicine easily and for free and cannot waste money!

They do the same thing.

• Posted

So Barb, you got the apple cider vinegar idea from Nosh?...
    • Posted

If the acid reflux is caused by a loose splinter then I dont see how this is the answer anyway.
    • Posted

I got Bragg raw unfiltered from Amazon, but can buy in natural supermarkets.
    • Posted

Robin, actually got the idea a while ago from my sons who use ACV. From what I understand as we age, we don't make enough acid in our stomach. What I don't understand is why docs give us acid blockers. I tried taking hcl Pepcid to add acid but those were horrendous and showed me I already has too much acid. So I decided on the ACV. Still have more reading and trial :-)

Both sons tried using it on their head to grow hair - didn't work LOL

My oldest son does a lot of research on health and nutrition now. Great source of information!

• Posted

Hi Barb,

I am laughing as I write this. I can imagine your son pouring Bragg's apple cider vinegar on his head and hoping that hair grows. That must have given your family a few laughs! You never know...stranger things have happened.

I have not had any acid stomach since starting the acv yesterday. My naturopath gave/sold me some enzymes which I have to find in the back of the kitchen cupboard. He takes them because, as you say, as we age we produce fewer digestive enzymes. That and the acv and I will as right as rain.

I am going out for a big Indian buffet lunch...uh oh!...and I will take the acv now and try to control myself at the restaurant and see what happens. I only had water for breakfast because the Indian food is high calorie. I will see what happens.

Normally after an average size meal, about 15 minutes later I feel very bloated and uncomfortable...which is why I got the digestive enzymes in the first place.

There is dairy in Indian sauces which I don't tolerate well; mostly mucus producing effect in the nose and throat so therefore coughing and coughing after the meal. Maybe the acv will take care of that...although I'm sure it's wishful thinking. Ciao! Robin

• Posted

Hi Caramel, I am from UK too and have same problem. Would you mind telling what medicines you take? Are they over the counter or doctor prescribed? Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.