Nervously awaiting ct colonoscopy scan

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am waiting for an appointment for my first ct colonoscopy scan to determine if I have diverticulosis. I have been having pain on and off on my left side for quite a while, my other symptoms are excessive wind and pelvic pain which has only recently started. I have not experienced severe pain fortunately but I need to find out what's wrong for peace of mind. I have read from people on this forum that a ct colonoscopy scan is quite painful when the air is pumped into the rectum. I am a but nervous now about having it done, my doctor didn't tell me she just said it was less invasive than a colonoscopy using a camera. Has anyone got some reassurance? Regards Kate 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

CALM down, !!!! Iv'e had two of them. I confess to being a bit (lot)  jittery

with the firsr one .Quite frankly I do not know where the GREAT PAIN from blowing

a bit of wind up. It was a bit of a strange feeling, but nothing you won't forget

almost as soon as they have done it/ You may get some pain if you are very 

stressed ,because you will clench your butt .and it will contract,and make it

difficult for the camera to slide.

They will tell you everything they are doing, there's even one technician who

will hold your hand 

So, watch the monitor and relax, it will soon be over, Then you can hav a cup

of teacheesygrin

• Posted

It's not a colonoscopy I.e. With camera inserted into the rectum, it's a ct scan hence the pumping of air into the rectum. Apparently it really hurts around the pubic and vagina when they do this! My partner recently had a colonoscopy camera and said it was a breeze!! Perhaps he liked it!! 
    • Posted

I suppose it depends on your pain thresh hold,  If you are expecting

pain, you will undoubtebly get it

• Posted

I am so sorry Kate, I feel really guilty putting up my last post and worrying you😐. I think perhaps it was painful for me as I obviously have issues in my pelvic floor area. It is by no means unbearable though and just made me feel like I urgently nneeded to use the toilet. It is a relatively quick procedure too. Im sure you will be fine and wondering what I was making the fuss about lol ☺

• Posted

Compared to a failed camera colonoscopy due to the pain and me begging them to stop, and I consider myself to have quite a good pain threshold, the ct colonoscopy is a walk in the park. Please do not worry about it. When the air was pumped in, it did feel a little uncomfortable, but only for a short time. Oh and when they put the dye in through the canula, by the time it reaches your pelvis you feel as though you have wet yourself, but you 
    • Posted

oops, I'll carry on smile. obviously haven't smile.  Where I had it done, the staff were brilliant, talked me step by step through everything, which is more than they did with the 'normal' colonoscopy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.