neuropathic pain and pins and needles, muscular aches.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all,

This is a long story so bear with me... 3 weeks ago I had a bad bowel infection, at the end of this about 10 days in I began to get weird tingling and pins and needles and muscular aches in my left hand. Over the next few days this progressed to my left leg, and the pains were so incessant that I wasn't getting sleep. The bowel infection had cleared up by this point, however I now have these constant pains which I went and spoke to my GP about, which they believed to be post viral and prescribed me Naproxen for possible nerve pain. Co-codomol and paracetemol hadn't touched the pains, however Naproxen had a dulling effect. These pains have continued for 2 weeks, and new symptoms have sprung up. I intermittingly get the pains in my right leg now as well as left arm and left leg. I have a constant pain in my calfs when walking, only alleviated by lying down. A reacurring random headache around the cranium, can be sharp pains either left side, right side or anywhere generally around the back of the head. Whenever I cross my legs, or lay my hand under the pillow or put the sightest pressure on my limbs i get pins and needles within about 1 minute. And lastly (i know, it's a lot) i'm waking up at 3 or 4 in the night with numb limbs and pins and needles in my arms and legs only improved by walking around...

This is all causing me a lot of distress, as i'm not an ill person generally and these symptoms are so strange to me. I'm a 24 year old male who keeps healthy and fit, 5 fruit and veg a day etc, don't smoke and only socially drink. I know it sounds like a lot but those truly are my symptoms. I went back to the doctor yesterday and they checked my bloods and referred me to neurology where they will be conducting nerve conduction tests at the end of the week. The bloods came back low on white blood cells and blood sugar, so hopefully things will have improved by the end of the week. I'm very unnerved (pun unintended) and would appreciate any thoughts or help on these symptoms.

Kind Regards

Jamie

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I get pins and needles in my arms and hands when sleeping on my back but I feel that is due to spinal injury many years ago. I also get them in my thigh ans occasionally up my neck and head. I am awaiting a decision by my doctor whether I need an MRI and neuro consultant. I think that's the only way to find out what's going on really..do you know what caused the bowel infection? I have had diarrhoea for about a week or so now

• Posted

Hi Sandy,

Sorry to hear that, hope you've recovered as well as can be after that injury. With regards to the bowel infection sadly no, they didn't take a faecal sample so I guess we will never know. They guessed it to be campylobacter, however it might not have been. Also if you've had an upset stomach for a week i'd think you have precedent to head back to your doctor, that's a long time for diarrhoea to be in your system! not to mention you best watch out you don't end up too dehydrated! Hope all ends up well with yourself Sandy

Regards

Jamie

• Posted

Thank you, but what about you? You are very young to be going through all this. Have they suggested scans or done any testing for clonus? My clonus test was positive. It has taken 3 years for anybody to even do tests for this since I first started telling the docs about my legs shaking uncontrollably, and violently whenever I walk downstairs. They kept just dismissing it and it was an occy health physio that did the neuro tests and discovered clonus and told my gp!!! I have been explaining my symptoms foe 3 years and they did nothing!!! Haha crazy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.