Neuropathy?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I'm wondering if anyone has heard or suspects that eustachian tube dysfunction may be related to nerve issues. I personally experience great issues with regulating pressure - subways, trying to get up into tall buildings, weather, loud noises aggevate it. I notice that as the evening sets, my symptoms do seem to get worse. I have developed neuropathy in other parts of my body and they also get worse at night. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Erica,

That's an interesting idea. My symptoms are very similar to yours (elevation changes, weather changes and evening being the worse time). The only 2 routes that I've been exploring has always been allergies and GERD/silent reflux. Both can effect the ears and the eustachian tubes. I've never heard of nerves effecting the eustachian tubes, but I've heard of TMJ problems. TMJ is related to joints in your neck/jaw and joints can be effected by weather changes, tension in the body and chewing/biting. That would be the only logical explonation that I can think of and there's been many examples of people suffering with TMJ and eustachian tube dysfunction. What other symptoms do you have with your nerves? Do you suffer from anxiety

I'm still undiagnosed, but my plugged ears have been doing better in the last couple of months. I stopped the allergy shots and don't even use the nasal spray anymore. 

• Posted

Yeah, I haven't really heard of it either and have considered the same things you have. After a bad cold this January I developed eustachian tube dysfunction and then a couple of weeks following began to have issues with very bad genital pain, feet pain and occassional shooting pains in my arms and legs, as well as tremors. I had never had any of these issues before and just turned 30. My best guess has been that this is a viral neuropathy. My current ENT thinks my ear issues are allergy related, but I don't really have many allergians (I've had a good deal of testing done). He claims dustmites and I'm calling shennigans on that theory. I think it's lazy diagnosis (combined with the utter lack of good medical understanding). Since my neuropathy is sensory oriented, I'm wondering if sensory nerves impact the ear issue. Just a working hypothesis. 

I'm glad to hear some of your ear issues have cleared up. I used nasal sprays for quite some time and have also backed away in the last week. My ears crackle and still have pressure issues, but the stay clearer more often. 

• Posted

Hi Erica,

I've been using nasal spray (Fluticasone) once a day and been using the NeilMed Sinus Rinse (available at every pharmacy cheap) nasal flush 2-3 times a week to clean my sinuses. It took months to get imrpovement. I also had weekly allergy shots for over a year, but I never noticed any improvement from that - I think it was mostly for grass/trees etc allergies.

The other thing that has helped is watching what I eat and how much I eat. For whatever reason the food I eat has an immediate effect on my sinuses, so I try to eat smaller portiions, stay away from alchol, caffeine and any other trigger foods. Did you have a food allergy test done too? Sometimes you don't even realize that you're allergic or just sensitive to certain spices, seafood, nuts, dairy etc. One of the first changes that helped me was swithing from coffee to decaf. Immediately noticed the improvement in the clogged ear sensation. Our sinuses are very sensitive to everything we put in our body and there are certian foods that produce a lot of histamine in our system. Then I switched to NA beer - although i only drink one beer a day and not every day, but I still noticed some imrpovement. The other thing that has helped is I started working out on the regular basis. I was never overweight, but the running and weights helps me stay active and having a (mostly) desk job is part of the problem. 

Hope these tips help you, feel free to post your questions and progress on here. I used to read endless (probably thousands) of online blogs and posts and barely found anything helpful about eustachian tube dysfunction, so I now I'm trying to share my experience. If I can help just one person imrove their life, it's worth it. I suffered a lot in the first few months and then gradually got better with each change I made. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.