New antibiotic

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've suffered with hidradenitis for many years and have been taking a daily antibiotic for the past 8 years and have had numerous surgeries to remove the outbreaks when they are particularly bad.

I've recently been prescribed Erythromycin and am experiencing side effects such as stomach cramps and diarrhoea.

Is anyone else taking these or can suggest anything better?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Tell your doctor, there are alternatives. I have tried it in the past (not for HS) and it made me feel sick and ill.

• Posted

Thank you for your swift response. As you say, I do feel quite ill on this antibiotic particularly as my gp originally prescribed 4 tablets a day! I've reduced the dose to 2 s day which has helped a bit but I've not had any side effects with antibiotics before.

I'm hoping to see a dermatologist shortly so will hopefully be prescribed an effective alternative.

• Posted

Dont wait to see the dematologist, contact your doctor now and get those tabs changed.
  • Posted

Hello I was diagnosed with HS in 11th grade. I am now in my first year of college and I believe I have my HS under control. Like a lot of people I take turmeric capsules everyday to keep inflammation down, eat a vegetarian/vegan diet, and wash the area with antibacterial soap (Dial) and 10% benzoyl peroxide acne wash (PanOxyl). I believe the most beneficial thing (that I haven't seen anyone talk about) I do though is massaging the area with those two products. Seriously, I think that the rubbing and massaging of the skin, boils, scar tissue, etc. helps to keep the HS from flaring up, and if it does flare up, it helps it to heal much quicker than if I did not massage the area. I do this in the shower everyday with each product. I believe rubbing the area with any sort of lubrication you have in the shower helps wonders, from coconut oil to acne wash. I just want to reiterate again that this seriously has helped me so much and I just want everyone to know about it because this disease sucks so much. Massaging the area with a good amount of pressure and some product helps so much!!! Try it!!! Good luck!!!

• Posted

Hi 

I have had these antibiotics before as soon as i started taking these my hair started to fall out in clumps it was going really thin, so i had to go straight to my doctor and she took me off them straight away to put me on a dfferent antibiotic. surprisenly my hair started getting thicker and not falling out.

• Posted

Tell your doctor to read a medical journal which will inform them in no uncertain terms that anti biotics don't work.

As you've had it that long try three months clindamycin rifampicin combo, or the other new one that's just been approved if you're medical insurance covers it.

Stop having surgery( lance and pack with open healing) it makes it worse... If they are sewing you up afterwards that's even worse.

Try kenalog injections for immediate temporary relief

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.