New dosage

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi fam,

I am new to this site. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I had been suffering from hyper 20 years ago and turned to hypo about 15 years ago-recently diagnosed with hashimotos as well. I have been taking Levothyroxine forever. Back in September my GP upped my dosage to 150mcg. After awhile I noticed I was getting chunky (swollen face and "2nd chin", pulling out clumps of hair, drained during the day but couldn't sleep a wink at night. I went to see an Endocrinologist Dec. 23rd. She said I was taking way to much levothyroxine for my weight. She lowered it to 100mcg and included a vitamin D and calcium supplement. I really haven't noticed a difference and was wondering how long does it usually take for a new dosage to kick in? Thank you!!

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am 44 years of age in case that matters 😊
  • Posted

Can you post your blood test results so that we can get a handle on your situation. Post the range too because some of us live in other countries where different units are used.

However, here is my two cents worth. I am surprised that an Endo would prescribe a calcium supplement along with thyroid meds. Generally speaking you keep those two very separated. I know why she is doing it: it is to prevent osteoporosis - but you should not take Ca with Thx meds. Get your calcium from some other source, e.g. glass of milk last thing at night, that will help you sleep and provide calcium. Makes me wonder how long she has been an Endo.

But please post your numbers, it will help.

• Posted

I'm sorry. I should of worded that differently. I don't take it with my Levo. I take my Levo strictly by itself.

I'm supposed to go get my labs done On 2/4/16 since her lowering it to see where we stand.

• Posted

On 2nd Apr, don't take your thyroid tablets until after the blood test else it messes up the results.
  • Posted

Hi, usual rule of thumb dose is 1.7mcg per kg of body weight. It takes me about 3 months to stabilise after changing dose.
    • Posted

Thanks Barbara. Even if I take it at 4am and my test is at 5pm?
    • Posted

In that circumstance, it's less clear cut, as there is a quite lot of time between taking the tablets and having the blood test. You need to find what works best for you. My experience (and therefore advice) is based on my having a body that doesn't convert T4 to T3 very well. So for me I would wait and take it immediately after the blood test because too much T4 would still be in my blood. I would then take my next 4am dose as normal.
  • Posted

Hello Tneel:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's since 1987 and I am 54.

When I was younger it was like I was Hyper and then later I was Hypo.  It is normal for Hashi's to do that until it settles down.

You may need a different med.  I could not absorb Levo very well and I ended up only on Liothyronine T3 only.

Please post your TSH level if you have it. When you start a new dose it takes 6 to 12 weeks to make a new level in the body.

You may want to look into NDT, a natural dessicated thyroid and  they are made from a pig's thyroid gland and it works better in a lot of people.  Take Levo on an empty stomach and wait at least 1 hour before food.

You may want to take a multivitamin with iron also and I agree with VIt D.  We lose the ability to make Vit D from Sunlight as we age, so we need to replace it or we will get Osteoporosis.

Keep us posted on how you do.

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you Shelly. I go back and have labs done on the 3rd for my new lowered dose. I asked my Endo about NDT when I was there on 12/23. She told me that Levo is the best you can be on since it is natural; that NDT is hard to guage as far as dosage. Personally, I really wanted to try it. 

As far as a multivitamin, I currently take one that contains 5000mcg of Biotin, is Argon Oil infused and contains Antioxidants A, C & E plus hyaluronic acid. Not sure how much Iron I need, but this contains 3mg. 

Thoughts?

Thank you so much! I will post my levels after testing,

Tracie

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hello Tnee:

If you are in the UK, NHS will not support NDT or the like because it is not a licensed med.  What this means is, it is made from a pig's gland and can contain more hormone as it is not as exact as Levo is. However, it has been around way before the FDA who puts a "good stamp" on drugs.  It has been around since 1900 and FDA from 1940's or later. Also NDT is not on a patent which Doctor's like, because a pig can't be patented.  So let's work with Levo for now.

Levo is synthetic and will work but some people have allergies to it or it does not work as it should because of an absorption and converting problem in the thyroid gland. The blood work will show how your TSH level is and it can be adjusted up or down as needed.

So a few thoughts are:  Along with your other vitamins, go to a vitamin shop and get vitamins that are for iron (ferrous sulfate) and Vitamin D.

Iron if low will make it hard for the Levo to work.   Also the normal amount of Vit D should be at least 1000IU for a multivitamin as recommended intake.  Also eat a good balanced diet to get vitamins from food.  Some people find more natural vitamins in health food stores also. Women need iron until we menopause.  It does help our bodies build new Red Blood cells.  It may make your feces look dark or black but it is okay.

Vit D helps us keep our bones in good shape and many of us with thyroid disease are low in it.  It prevents bad cramps in muscles also.

Do some walking as it helps the body, nothing fancy, just walk some.

So keep up all that you are doing, and if you have nay questions just ask.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly,

Got my results back and TSH is very low:

COMPONENT RESULT UNITS NORMALCY NORMAL RANGE HIGH VALUE HIGH UNIT LOW VALUE LOW UNIT XSI TYPE

TSH

uIU/mL

H

0.49-4.67

Free T4 was within normal range. I am deficient in Vitamin B so I started taking 200mcg Vit B12 once a day. Dr. upped my Levo to 125mcg and I will repeat bloodwork on March 31st.

• Posted

I meant 2500 mcg of VIT B12 Once daily
    • Posted

Hello Tnee:

TSH 25.24 is  correct?  If the number is HIGH, it  means your HYPOTHYROID  still and not enough hormone.

Scale is 0.45 to 4.50 and when number is on the upper end you are Hypo or low in hormone and when it is on the low end you are Hyper or too much.  It is confusing I know.

Okay 125mcg  take it everyday, and  food with the medication for 1 hour after you take it. 

Okay to Vit B-12 you will pick up more energy from that and make new Red Blood cells which carry oxygen around your body.  So stay on that and get your vitamins in good shape.  Did they check your ferritin?

Give your Levo about 6 to 12 weeks to build up to a new level.  It takes some time.

Keep me updated, any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Tnee: 

NO FOOD after taking Levo for about 1 hour.  Sorry for the confusion. Somehow my No was dropped.

Shelly

• Posted

Yep, I have been hypo for years... diagnosed with Hashimotos last December. Ferritin was tested...

COMPONENT RESULT UNITS NORMALCY NORMAL RANGE HIGH VALUE HIGH UNIT LOW VALUE LOW UNIT XSI TYPE

FERRITIN

ng/mL

11-307

• Posted

Hello Tnee:

Me too, I have had Hashi's since 1987.  Okay good to know that your ferritin  was tested but it should be over 70+ for Levo to work well. 17 is still a bit low.  As your doctor if you should take Iron or at least a good multi vitamin with iron in it.

I take a Women's multi vitamin each day with iron in it. We can lose it because we have our periods.

XO, Shelly

• Posted

Good to know! Wow! My 17 is way far off from 70+!

I had my Iron tested. Please see below and let me know your thoughts.

IRON

ug/dL

50-170

IRON BINDING

ug/dL

250-425

IRON SATURATION

% SATURATION

15-50

• Posted

Hello Tnee:

Ferritin is a component of iron and it stored in the body and helps with cells and other things like absorption of this hormone and the way it is transported around in the body. 

It makes Levo work better and even though you are in the okay section, it needs to be higher for Levo, and you should take a good multivitamin with iron.  Take it 3 times a week and that will bring it up more.  You can also take one every day.  It may turn fece dark and look black.  You will feel much better so try it out.

XO, Shelly

• Posted

Thank you Shelly! What multivitamin with iron do u take? I am totally going to try this 😊

XO, Tracie

• Posted

Tracie:

Brand I use is "One a dayfor Women with Iron" and most pharmacies  or drug stores carry a good brand.  Do try it and it will help you improve your TSH big time.

When is your next blood draw?  Ask the doctor to recheck Ferritin in 2 or 3 months from now.  I'll bet your TSH will improve to normal.

XO, Shelly

• Posted

Next blood draw is 3/31. I will definitely pick those up tomorrow! Thanks again!
    • Posted

Hi tneel, I'm not medically qualified in any way, my knowledge comes from having had hypothyroidism for 25 years and seeing lots of endocrinologists over the years. Recently my endo said my % iron saturation was too low when it was 19.4%. She is happy now it is back up to 34%. My % iron saturation goes down when my thyroid hormone dose is too low (i.e. I'm under-medicated and need to increase my dose).

When my Ferritin was undet 70 I was prescribed iron tablets - ferrous sulphate, though there are others (200mg from memory, but not sure I've got that right).

As you can see, your results mirror this: your TSH is too high suggesting that you need more thyroid hormone; your % iron saturation also suggests you thyroid hormone dose is too low. Also your Ferritin is too low, suggesting you are anaemic and need iron supplements. The same endo said Ferritin needed to be 70+ (same as Shelley said). I suspect you will start to feel a bit better if you take a multivitamin that contains iron.

• Posted

Thank you Barbara! I will keep you both posted. I'm so hoping this multivitamin with iron will do the trick!
    • Posted

Hi Shelly,

I am at the store and see the one a day for women but it doesn't specifically say also, "with iron". It does however contain iron on the ingredients list. Do I have the wrong bottle? How much iron does yours contain?

• Posted

Hello Tnee:

It is okay if it does not say Iron on it but contains it.  Mine says 18mg which says it is 100% of the Recommended Allowances.

As long as it has Iron that is fine.

Shelly

• Posted

Interesting - I'm in the UK and mine says 14mg which is 100% of total allowances. Looks like we've found another difference between US and UK!
    • Posted

Hello Tnee:

Take the vitamin everyday so we can see how it does for you on 3/31/16.

Keep us posted, love to hear good news,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.