New fluoxetine user

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all I've been at a bad low for some time iam naturally a born worrier and just late of had an overdose of worry to the point any good news doesnt feel of any good if you see what I mean, I have also had the most awful panics inside to the point of running away form the problem I went into work yesterday and it all just hit me and had to get home fast,my partner of 24 years made me see the doctor as it's the worse and longest attack of this type is it depression? I don't feel happy that's for sure I've always had a job switching worry of and this time I feel like hell,is it anxiety? I've never felt so frightened but of what I don't know.

To cut a long story short the doctor has prescribed 20mg fluoxetine and have to meet a doctor next Monday to talk things over with iam looking for advice as to what to feel can I go back to being happy although that was always short lived with my constant worry mode am I ocd worrier? Any help I will appreciate I've finally accepted after years I need help that iam proud of.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jonathon

Sounds like you're having a lot of anxiety, and yes, it's very uncomfortable and does make you want to run away from it.  Fight or flight?

Its just your body reacting to worry I expect.  Many of us end up with it from different events, but often it's stress/worry.  We all have different limits to how much our body can cope with, and often if too much stress/worry then it reaches that tipping point.

It can be combined with depression, or the anxious feelings can make you feel depressed.  It is frightening isn'tt it ..... I've been there.

Starting fluoxetine is a good thing, but it's not for everyone.  Fluoxetine is a type of drug called an SSRI which act on the reuptake of serotonin which make you feel happy.  Once the drug gets into your body it will make you feel much better, and the anxiety will disappear.

However ... don't expect an overnight cure, and don't be too disheartened by the length of time it takes.  It will work ..... remember it takes time to heal a broken leg, and so it's the same here.  It can take 3-4 months, some people sooner, some longer ... but it's worth the wait. 

You may get worse at the beginning of the medication but this is normal.  It's just the meds getting into your body which take a while.

You've done the right thing going to your doctor and also coming on here.  Many people will help as we've all been there or are still going through it.  It's very common, even though you may feel like you're the only one.

You will go back to feeling happy again - I did and many others have.  It might take a while, but hang in there however tough it gets, and persevere with the meds.

Glad your doctor is seeing you next week.  You should have weekly or fortnightly appointments until you start feeling a bit better.

Best wishes

K x

• Posted

Thankyou so much for your kindness word's when ive felt stressed and anxious beforehand an thousands of times before that you help and kind words would of bought an onslaught of tears and I would of lifted,this time however I feel numb no tears or relief please don't take it personally at all your very kind I tried to explain this yesterday to the doctor and just couldn't describe my feelings is this depression?
  • Posted

Hi Jonathon, yes it sounds like anxiety. I'm very much the same way, I worry 24/7 and have constant heart palpitations, can't sit still for 5 minutes and am frequently sick. It caused the breakdown of all my relationships, job and functionality of being human, So it's good to try and treat it asap as anxiety only manifests further. I've found a good combo for me is fluox with beta blockers for anxiety (propanalol)- It might be worth discussing if your anxiety is so extreme, I've found it takes the edge off a little (calms the physical symptoms). It won't help completely, but I highly recommend CBT along with medication as I feel it helps me understand the root of my anxiety, and even though I was sceptical, I always come out feeling a bit more relaxed. Shoot me a message if you want, I truly understand crippling, debilitating fear and anxiety. X 
    • Posted

Also take note frequently every day of what you feel and when. If you're having a hard time placing your issues, a doctor might pick up something in your writings that you may not have 
  • Posted

I've seen on here sometimes doctors up the dose after a while is this something as a standard or if you need it
    • Posted

You can get your dose upped by your doctor, but I'd first try out the dose you start with and see how you get on.  You have to give it time to work before deciding to get it upped and people often mistake the side effects of not getting better, but you will be and have to give the small dose time to work.  It might seem a long road at the time, and you may be in a hurry to up the dose and get better quick - but these meds work slowly so you'll need lots of patience.  So I'd stay on the initial dose for a while before you and your doctor decide to up it.

We often feel numb too and at times can't find the words to explain how you feel.  When my son was ill the same last year, he couldn't even talk at the doctors so I had to talk for him.  He was just numb.  He's been on Fluoxetine and went through a bad time but has turned the corner and is now back to himself again and happy.

You will get there.

K x

• Posted

Hi Jonathan,

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I have no better advice than these ladies but just wanted to say we ve all been there in one form or another and yes - you most certainly can beat this and be yourself again. Unfortunately it takes a while. The Fluoxetine took three months to make me feel better and before that time it actually made me feel much worse. But now I am happier than I've been in years and would recommend Fluoxetine to anyone suffering this terrible illness. Please stick with it - keep reading the posts on here so you know what to expect and that you aren't alone. Be prepared for a rough ride but honestly, one that's totally worth it.

Good luck xx

• Posted

Hello thanks for your help I actually feel ill today difficult to describe really
    • Posted

Just go with it and be good to yourself. It takes time, try not to put pressure on yourself. If you want to sleep, sleep. If you want to eat, eat.

If you're worried, talk to your GP but I'm sure it's all part of the process xx

• Posted

Hi I have been on Fluoxetine 20mg for about 3 months now and to start with it made me feel much worse my anxiety went through the roof but stick with it as now I feel great.  I still get panic attacks but not as severe I can lead a more normal life.  At one time just going to the local shop was a nightmare mainly it is dizzy spells that I get and once I start feeling like that I start feeling negative about how awful this is etc which def does not help!  I have had anxiety for many years and have been for various counselling which never really helped as what I really needed was ways of coping with panic attacks when they happened instead of just talking about them!   Since being on these meds I am more calmer and when I am calmer I have less attacks but the main think I have to remember is to take deep breaths as I often hold my breath.  Hope you feel better soon but do stick with the medication even if you do feel worse or a bit spaced out as this will pass it may take a little while but hopefully they will help you x
    • Posted

Thanks today I kind of feel odd if that makes any sense not ill but strange irritable maybe I have today been a bit worried and anxious but it passes my main problem is I constantly worry this time was the point of no return will I go back to that when I come off fluoxetine ? I don't know how this is supposed to help in the long run,nightime is the worst any advice ?
    • Posted

I know what you mean I felt a bit weird, spaced out I suppose and a bit irritable mood was a bit all over the place.  I feel fine now but I am not sure myself what the long term plan is regarding the med as I worry too that I may go back to how I was before the fluoxetine but at the minute as I feel a lot better and more positive about things I am not thinking about coming off the medication.  One thing I do which helps my anxiety is a yoga class I think it is great helps me relax......so maybe relaxation techniques may help or some deep breathing exercises.  There are a few apps available that you can listen to and may help you feel less tense?  Good you are seeing a doctor to discuss all this they may have some more ideas x
    • Posted

Great I will look into this I have felt a bit arsey tonight like hypo sensitive to everything like more irratable than any other feeling hope that passes don't think I will have much in the way of hsppiness at the moment
    • Posted

When you're suffering with anxiety, your nerves are so raw.  You'll be sensitive to everything, snapping at the slightest provocation, emotional at the slightest thing, noise might feel over loud, people talking might seem jumbled ....... They're overreacting to everything, and eventually when your anxiety is under control your nerves will be back to being the usual calm.

K x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.