New GA sufferer

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi I've recently been diagnosed with GA and starting on the endless journey of applying the steroid based cream twice daily. I haven't really had any answers from my dermatologist, but reading some of these posts it seems as there is no answer for cause/ cure etc! I am starting on the daily antihistamine as someone suggested. Anyone tried anything else that might work.?

Thanks Caroline

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Caroline, hopefully yours goes away quickly, I was going to try antihistamine s, but someone I know who has GA, takes these for allergies and still has it might work for you though, I tried UVB treatment for 6 wks as had seen improvement in sun, but was shocked last week when new batch broke out on my feet I sat in sun for an hour, so really confused by GA ,so I'm going to put high Number sun lotion when out in it, I tried steroids helps when bad bit , but makes it bit purple, don't try that for very long, hopefully someone will come up with a cure? I think it goes when it decides to? Lots talk about anti immune system being the cause of it? But how sort that does any one know? Wishing yours gone soon Helen
    • Posted

Thanks for the speedy reply. I was going to ask about the sun and if exposure helps or hinders? Do you recommend applying a high factor lotion?

I'm on the second bout of cream at the moment which is steroid base but it's not helping. Have to go back to see dermatologist mid July so I guess we'll have to see what treatment is next. It's depressing when you read how difficult it is to cure and how long some people have had this for!

• Posted

The ROM therapy along with applying a steroid cream and taking a 5mg Prednisone pak has helped mine almost disappear. I'm amazed. I finished the Prednisone pak a week ago and feared it would cause it to flare even worse but it keeps fading daily.

I have had this for a year and it was spreading and angry before this and of course, taking over my summer legs. Definitely recommend these things together..

• Posted

Caroline,

I know for certain that the steroid cream is not your solution. It may fade the ga because it brings down inflammation. But it will come back after you stop using the cream and steroids thin the skin and cause other problems. Dermatologists can't choke down the words,"I don't know what to do," so they throw the steroids at you. It infuriates me.

Are you diabetic by chance? This tends to be an issue of diabetes, thyroid, etc.

My belief is that it is caused by candida alibicans which is an overgrowth of yeast in your system. You may know all about it, but if you don't, research it. As a diabetic, I have candida and have had this ga previously and when I took sugar and starches out of my diet, it went away. I fell off the wagon mid-divorce and have a full blown palette of this stuff. I'm trying to come off the starches again. I've been off gluten since January. These are things that are very difficult to do, but that may be an answer. It won't happen immediately, but with perseverance you should see change.

I've also noticed some posts about aloe Vera and apple cider vinegar (I suggest the therapeutic $5 brands). But please give the finger to the steroids.

Hang in there. Be patient. Believe "this too shall pass." 😉👍🏽😉👍🏽😉

• Posted

Thanks for that. I will definitely look into it. I do have some problems with the gut a bit like IBS with my stomach swelling up especially with pasta. I have to eat wheat free stuff. I will definitely do some more research.

Thanks

• Posted

I tried apple cider vinegar, cutting out dairy, cutting out gluten....none of it worked. My GA has cleared 90% in just a few weeks by a combination of using Ultravate ointment and Plaquenil orally. I hope this helps someone as I have dealt with GA for many years and I searched and searched for a dermatologist who would give me a treatment that didn't involve ineffective steroid creams or shots! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.