New Here

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with seronegative rheumatoid arthritis. Psoriatic arthritis is probable. I have been spiraling downhill. The meds I've tried have been Steroids, Sulfasalizine, Humira and Enbrel. I haven't been able to stay on any of them for long because they make my overall condition worse. Any others have this kind of experience?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Fleckbass!

First of all welcome! Although I know you wish you weren't diagnosed with this awful condition I have gound these forums really help a lot.

I have too tried Sulfasalizine and unfortunately this had no positive affect on me at all although I tried it for some time. I also had around three steriod injections a year but I think I have had more this year and sometimes the injections help and sometimes they don't. The most affective injection I had was when my knee was so swollen they had to drain fluid out and inject steriod into my knee and I felt benefit instantly the next day.

My next medication I tried was methotrexate which I thought was helping but my RA doctor said it actually wasn't and the side affects weere so bad I was throwing up 4 days after taking it so that medication stopped.

I am currently taking steriod tablets which I haven't seen full improvement but a little. This is just until I wait for my next medication which I should start in two weeks and that will be Enbrel with also a small dosage of methotrexate. This will be injection form.

I wouldn't worry at the moment because you still have other options open and they're plenty of people in your boat like me where things just don't work and it's a case of trial and error. Sometimes it's not just one medication but two that work together to help you. If you do have concerns I would definitely speak with your doctor.

Also is it tablet or injection form you take? I have had both and injection gorn definitely worked better for me. I know methotrexate works for a lot of people so that might be worth trying and mentioning to your doctor.

Hope this helps!

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Laura. Seems youre asking about steroids Ive taken. When things started to get bad for me a few years a go. I had epidural steroid injections in the lumbar region for DDD. I also had CT guided nerve root blocks in my neck. Neither seemed to do much. I ended up with a cervical fusion that helped greatly.

I was then diagnosed with seronegative rheumatoid and the steroids were prednisone and methylprednisone pills. Cant stand to be on them. I did get a steroid rush and was able to perform intense activity at times but this was only after increasing dosage. At that point I felt like I was poisoned and had terrible reflux.

• Posted

Sounds like you've tried quite a few things! Which is a pain and I wish they just knew what would be perfect to help everyone but unfortunately everyone is different and is just a case of trying different things!

Has your doctor advised or the next steps or what the next thing is they will try?

• Posted

I am going to call today and see what the plan may be
  • Posted

Hello there - don't lose hope.  The most important thing about this is to give each treatment a chance to work - and most of them take 3 - 6 months to get a therapeutic level in your system.

Steroids in the short term will really help.  

Look up diet and other lifestyle factors that can help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.