New here and suffering!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone smile I am new and very happy to find this forum. I am a 29 years old woman with diabetes type 1.I have been severely constipated the last 2 years.The first time I went to the doctor he told me to eat more fibers,drink lots of water,exercise and put me on Laxido. My weight is 52 kg I exercise 4 times a week, eat lots of vegetables and fruits,drink plenty of fluids and not eating meat at all. Nothing of the above works! Laxido seemed to work in the beginning but then it stopped. Then I was on and off with Dulcolax. The last year has been even worse. I cannot go to the toilet without laxative. I was so desperate that I ended up taking 2 Dulcolax pills almost every day. As a result I ended up drained and weak,and lost 3 kilos (I was 55kg before dulcolax). I stopped Dulcolax and tried senna which works most of the times,there are times that senna doesn't work. I asked my gastroenterologist for colonoscopy and he said that I don't need it. I feel very stressed and scared of having bowel cancer. The last days my stomach has been upset,indigestion,feeling full after eating a little bit of food,loss of apetite but in the same time very sad and stressed..Could it be cancer? I don't have any other symptoms, only extreme constipation, no blood as far as I know.. I don't have quality of life anymore..My life revolves around laxatives,planning everything around them.There are moments I end up crying without stoping,I feel I can't do it anymore..  sad

1 like, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear the problems your having! If you suspect anything like cancer DEMAND they take you seriously and DEMAND further tests to rule it out! It's your right and u should be taken seriously. I've had severe constipation and bowel issues for nearly four years now and I know wat your goin through! I'm due for another op soon. To maybe put ur mind at rest it wasn't cancer causing mine I actually had a prolapsed bowel and other issues! But as I said if u think for one second there's a chance of cancer make yourself heard. I'd write to pals and lodge a complaint it will have to be dealt with then. They always say increase fibre but insoluble fibre can make things worse so try and stick to soluble fibre. There are many tests and treatments that can help but it's really hard to get a doc to take u seriously at first! Also have a look at the fodmap diet it can really help. Hope u get help soon xx
    • Posted

Hi, louby192! Thank you for the response smile Doctors always say " you are too young for that " but I think that cancer has no age nowadays.. I forgot to mention that my grandpa had chronic constipation all his life , he didn't have colon cancer but he was leaving only on laxatives and liquid food as I remember . Could it be hereditary ? The last days I feel so stressed I almost had a panic attack a few days ago ..
    • Posted

Living not leaving !
  • Posted

I got the same... Your to young. Told the doc to go and take a look around Manchester children's hospital!! It certainly could be hereditary but there are a lot of new medications and treatments that can help you avoid a liquid diet! I would have a look at the fodmap diet it could help xx
    • Posted

Already did! Very interesting , thank you! I wish I could cheer me up , my mind is stuck on that problem and I cannot enjoy anything. I have mood swings, something that for others is taken for granted ( going tongue toilet) for me is a battle..I will certainly have a colonoscopy soon, I am so afraid..
    • Posted

Easy to say but try and not think the worst.. The fact u have had no blood is a great sign it's not the dreaded c word. Linseed a are very good for constipation, my bowel nurse and surgeon both reccomended. I really feel for u it is scary but it could be a number of things that can easily be sorted. Ask to be referred to a different doc if ur havin no luck with this one. It really does affect ur life and people don't seem to understand x
    • Posted

I have tried so many different foods but nothing seems to work.Linseed worked for a while and then stopped. I am lactose intolerance too, every time I try yoghurt I become a balloon! My life is depending on laxatives . I wanted to put on 2 kg but how?! With daily laxatives it's impossible.. I have no one to discuss it either . I told my mum about my fears and she says 'stop saying crap' . I am all alone on that.
    • Posted

I am on all the latest medication and treatments but nothing works. The best thing for me is not to eat at all and I am much better on a liquid diet.
    • Posted

We still need food dear otherwise we will feel drained and weak . It's not good and it's not s long term solution being on liquid diet ..I don't want to end up with anorexia ..
  • Posted

I have had chronic constipation for 5 years. It is a terrible thing to have.

I have been told today to increase my soluble fibre, flavoured water, porridge or shakes wirh linseed.

I can't have added fibre but had not understood the difference between soluble/ insoluble before today.

• Posted

Do you see any difference ? Food does nothing in my case . Whatever I eat is the same .
    • Posted

2 months ago I was taking Dulcolax every other day or sometimes every day.. I lost weight rapidly , I could clearly see my bones . Be very careful if you use bisacodyl ..
    • Posted

I am taking Prucalopride daily, bisocodyl daily (dulcolax) , pico lax weekly. None of them work and I am not losing any weight! ! It is all stuck inside.
    • Posted

Prucalopride under the brand name "Resolor" right ? I have tried it too , didn't work although doctor told me that it takes over a month to work . I had tried Dulcolax pico , it caused me diarrhea rolleyes How old are you Patricia 46418? Have you done a colonoscopy ? I have mine scheduled on 19th of October .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.