New here - Diabetes out of control

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey all! 

I am 29 and was diagnosed with diabetes type 1 when I was 17. It was a horrible time in my life as it was due to an abusive home life and severe depression, so I never really accepted diabetes. 

It's been a long long time but I'm finally seeing some sense and I want to control my diabetes. I'm terrified I'm going to die before I'm 40 and leave my partner alone. I've had no bad symptoms such as loss of feeling in my feet but my blood sugars have been a constant 25-30mmol for weeks at a time. It caused me to have joint pain and sleep constantly. 

After moving to England from Wales I had a terrible time trying to get referred to the diabetic clinic as they claimed they couldn't do anything until my notes came through - which took 4 months. So I've been here since early March and only got my first diabetes assesment last week.

The results were that my blood sugar was high, weight was up, chlolesterol was up and blood pressure was fine.

I really want to try and become sensible about my diabetes and I'm just basically looking for like-minded people to talk to. Maybe we can encourage each other to look after ourselves?

So yes, nice to meet everyone!

- Matt

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi..

I'm 53yr (male) & I've been a Type 1 Diabetic since the age of 18. Like most youngsters with the condition, we try to live our lives like nothing has changed. It's kinda like the smoker who has lung cancer and continues to smoke. Sorry! you need to change your habits mate. There's no other way. If you're serious and want to live without complications you've got to change your eating habits no question.

Also, you need to test much more. When I was young I only tested when I was feeling sick or was on my way to see the nurse.

Over the last 15 years i've teststed 4 times a day minimum. It's the only way you can adjust your insulin dosages for your body. (or in your case, have your Dr do the adjusting) My Dr leaves me to get on with it. (His words) "There's nothing we can teach you or improve on your treatment"

I only see them to get my blood tests & results.

My control & Bloods are so good now (in their words), that I was one of the first diabetics in the UK to receive "Tresiba" A new long acting insulin.

Enough about me..

One book started me on the way to becoming a better diabetic is:

Dr Richard Bernstein's "Diabetes Solution"..

If you don't buy the book, read about him online.

Many of the things Dr's are learning now, he wrote about 30 years ago.

It pulls no punches, on you or on most of the Doctors who treat diabetics. Sorry to say it. Most GP's are lacking as reguards diet.

The treatment for diabetes is simple (insulin) However, insulin without adequate testing & the wrong diet, will lead you to failure. (just being blunt, i've been there) High blood sugars, high chlolesterol, high blood pressure, high triglycerides, fading eyesight, declining libido. Yea I've had them all at one time or another.

No one or two tablets will sort them out. Only lifestyle changes can accomplish it.

Sorry to be tough on you mate, but I wish someone was tough on me when I was 27 even, much less 18.

I hope you can get yourself sorted before long.

The Conductor

• Posted

Type 1 since I was 6 (now 24). It is so freakin hard. I give myself long acting insulin each day, no bsl tests and short acting only when I feel really sick. We are probably in the same boat.
  • Posted

Type 1diabetic since I ws 6(now 24). I feel your pain so much. I don't want to do anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.