New here, looking for answers

Posted , 5 users are following.

found this site searching fir Gabapentin side effects.  Have been reading some posts and can definitely relate to some.  My situation is a bit different.  I was prescribed Gabapentin for GI issues, possible slow motility and IBS.  Of course, if a doctor can't determine an exact cause of something, you have IBS.  I was told this med is being prescribed for IBS patients now, the brain/gut connection.  Not sure how long I have been on it now, a year or more.  Was started on a low dose that was gradually increased.  I play around with the dose but take 1400-1500 mg a day split in 3 doses.  I would love to get off this medication.  I too notice memory problems which my family doesn't understand.  I function, have to as I take care of my 93-year old mother.  I can have days where I feel very moody and can feel depressed, angry, etc.  I almost akways feel tired but sleep in spurts, however, I have never slept well.  I have been experiencing a hoarse voice that is gradually getting worse.  I read this can be a side effect of this med but my doctor said she has never heard of it.  Now, I am having bi-lateral foot pain and my big toes are half numb.  Test for diabetes was normal so now referred to a Neurologist, that are few and far between around here.  I don't see her until the end of January.  Is this related to Gabapentin? Have no idea abd my doctors just kind of fluff it off.  

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

HI

I have started Gaba at 100mg for same situation as yourself.     Are you constipated with your gut motility?   I tried Pregabalin alst year but that made it worse and am concerned about Gaba doing the same.   My whole digestive system is inflammed and i get so much pain from eating - used to manage a safe diet but just eat what i fancy (still healthy) as most things give me wind or painful bloating.      Very underwieght so have to have carbs but stay off sugar and gluten.

Please share your concerns.

• Posted

When all this started, I had constipation problems. Was put on Amitiza (?) then Linzess.  Neither really helped and the Linzess was hirrible for me but I know it helps some.  I too played around with duet but didn't notice a significant change.  Had 3 rounds of Xifaxin and maybe that helped some.  I have constant nausea issues, no vomiting.  Still feel that way but not as bad.  You may have worse motility issues then I do.  The GI doctor at Stanfird suggested I try Magnesium Oxide, 400 mg twice a day. If it caused diarrhea, cut back to one.  She also suggested I try Iberogast. Long story short, it took some time but I use the Iberogast once a day in my morning coffee.  I use the Magnesium, as needed.  I am now on 1100 mg if Gabapentin. I am trying to decrease this.  I usually have a BM daily.  I still take Tigan almost daily for nausea. It just took time and was trial and error. I do have colon discomfort but can usually function. Was sick as heck a week ago and in bed and popping pills all day.  I think it was buttered popcorn I ate to much of.  Who knows?  I just had another abdominal CT scan last week and it really didn't show anything in my GI tract. Hard to believe.  Very discouraging.  Actually, I have gained weight, too much, and I am pretty sure it is the Gabapentin.  I am surprised you were started on such a low dose.  Hope you get some relief.
    • Posted

Whoa..... what? This drug can CAUSE diahreah! I have had it every day for a year. I thought it was GI problems.. I was tested for gallbladder diseaase, which came back negative. I went to my doctor for 2 issues, my pain and the diahreah which has crippled my life for the past year, (I have had accidents at my business-a salon! missed sooooo much work, got very short with my husband and child) As for the pain, he told me to start doupling the script, and for diahreah, he told me to try not eating dairy for a month.... he wasn't even AWARE that this was a possible side effect!!! I talked my pharm and he listed off a ton of my symptoms! I couldn't believe it!  I had previously asked a different pham 6 months before this and she told me what my doctors told me, "it's not the meds! They only cause constipation" Good luck my friend!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.