New here: Ovarian cyst worries

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm new here and joined to hopefully find support with what I believe is an ovarian cyst.

Tomorrow I will have my first gynecologist appointment where I am anticipating an ultrasound. I am 19 years old and have always had painful periods and ovulation, predominately involving my right ovary. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm diagnosed with PCOS, especially since it runs in my family. Severe right ovary pain has lead me to "self-diagnose" myself with an ovarian cyst, although I hate to jump to conclusions. The pain comes and goes throughout the month but gets considerably worse when I'm ovulating. I have a pinching/dull ache on my right side which radiates to my back and legs. Sometimes I experience numbness in my legs and feet as well. A twisting or pulling sensation sometimes occurs where I feel as if I need to twist my back and stretch. I also feel pressure on my bladder and bowels which have resulted in more frequent trips to the restroom.

I have been extensively researching ovarian cysts and surgical procedures for days, which has really stressed me out. However, I do mean well by trying to prepare myself for the worst. I am finally coming to terms with the possibility of having a laparoscopic cystectomy, however I am terrified of a laparotomy. Since I've had this pain for years, I'm afraid it may be too large to remove laparoscopically. I have never had surgery before and I also deal with extreme anxiety. This medical condition has consumed my life lately, filling my head with "what-ifs?". I know I'm obviously putting the cart before the horse here, but I would really like to find some peace with the possibility of my gyno telling me I will need surgery. If anyone has any experiences with laparotomy, I would appreciate you sharing your fears and recovery with me. Thank you all in advance

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. Ovarian cysts are very common and usually come and go on their own. The doctor will not usually recommend having them removed unless they are over 4cm.

You will probably find that the scan puts your mind at rest and that there is an explanation that can be easily dealt with. Sometimes stress can make the pain worse anyway. I did have a laparotomy because of an ovarian cyst. By the time it came for my surgery, the cyst had gone! The operation did reveal some other things though so it was useful and they are nothing too worrying. If you do have to have a laparotomy then it really isn't a big deal and recovery is very quick.

Good luck

Sue

• Posted

Hiya hun. Have they offered you am ultrasound or anything like that? I too had a gyne appointment before anything and they couldnt tell quite what it was. I too had numb legs too which i found quite odd. Have you had any abdominal swelling? X
  • Posted

Hi Sue,

Thank you for the reply. I'm glad your cyst had gone away on its own...that gives me some hope! I'm not even sure what I'm afraid of seeing that this operation has been done on many women, and has had successful outcomes. Hearing you say that a laparotomy isn't "a big deal" helps to calm my nerves a bit. Sometimes we just need reassurance from someone who has more knowledge and experience than we do.

Thanks again

cmarie

• Posted

Hello Laura,

I initially called the gyno regarding pain and the receptionist said the doctor with probably do an ultrasound to see what's going on. I should also note that I've never had a pelvic exam before.

I am thin, but I have noticed a lot of abdominal bloating. I wouldn't say any swelling, though. I've been gassy the past few days which is only putting more pressure on my ovary! I feel as though I won't be hearing good news tomorrow considering that I can pinpoint the pain and it has been going on for a while. As for the numbness in my legs, it sometimes feels like an electric current from my ovary down to my legs....like a "shock" that travels and then goes numb.

Have you found anything out from your doctor?

• Posted

Edit: *will probably do an ultrasound
  • Posted

Mine was all sorted in october. Had quite a large cyst that needed to be removed with a laparotomy. I know exctly how hard it is to come to terms with stuff like that. Im 24 never had surgery and it seemed like a massive deal. Try not to worry too much until you know exactly what it is. I know its easier said than done because i was left in the dark for a while about mine so all i seemed to do was worry. I hope everything gets sorted soon for you though. Keep us updated and if you ever have any concerns or questions dont be afraid to ask smile x
    • Posted

Hi Laura I know this is an old post but I seem to be experiencing very similar to you and am waiting to go for surgery. I am unable to have keyhole as my cyst is 22cm. I'm just wondering how you have recovered from your operation. Do you feel different. What type of stitches did you have to get? Sorry for all the questions but ere you in pain after the operation and did you have much of the gas they speak off??? 
  • Posted

Hiya I seem to be getting the same achy pain as you pulling sensation in my right side, this can go from my pelvis to under my ribs, sometimes achy legs. I've also had this pain for a couple of years, I had a scan but it was for upper abdominal not pelvis, this was diagnosed with gallstones. But I really do think I have an ovarian cyst. Do you have any other symptoms? Please let me know how you get on with scan x
  • Posted

Laura, thank you for the support. I'm glad you got everything taken care of and I hope you're feeling good as new! smile

Lisa, some of my symptoms recently have included fatigue, loss of appetite, a loud gurgling stomach, gas, and severe pelvic pain. That pulling sensation is quite a unique feeling (It feels kinda like I have to stretch my ovary, as dumb as that sounds). I read somewhere online that the aches and numbness in our legs could be due to the cyst's expansion hitting nerves.

What scares me is that women sometimes don't even have symptoms of a large cyst, but still end up having to have surgery. Here I am with all these symptoms and pain, so the outcome isn't looking too good and I figure I'll need surgery....

• Posted

I know what you mean, I don't go many days where I haven't got this horrible ache. Good luck for tomorrow , let me know how u get on x
  • Posted

Thank you Lisa, you're in my thoughts. I will let you know how everything goes tomorrow
  • Posted

Hi cmarie, please dont worry, i had 2 large tubal cysts removed 3 days before christmas day (2013)

i was the same as you, very stressed and fearful about the op, I had the same symptoms as you for about

12 months, decided enough was enough and spoke to my doctor. I was seen by Gyne and within 4 weeks was in having my op. Recovery was okay, i stayed in over night, the wounds healed well, the only problem i

had was extremely painful shoulders that apparently is gas pain from the key-hole surgery, pain killers took

care of that, and plenty of walking around. No heavy lifting or hoovering for a while, i was back to normal

after about 3 weeks. I am now waiting to go back in to have my ovary removed, it has doubled in size in 10

weeks so needs to be removed urgently. I will be well prepared this time and know what to expect.

Hope this helps, please feel free to ask any questions, i will try to help, good luck for tomorrow.......

• Posted

Emma, thank you for the reply. I'm hoping that if I need surgery, it can be done laparoscopically just as you had.

How big were your cysts? Do you know if they usually drain cysts so that laparoscopic surgery can be done rather than the large incision alternative? I am mostly afraid of a laparotomy because of the incision and having to cut through my muscle and all that invasive stuff.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems and are facing another surgery. You will be in my prayers as you go through this

• Posted

Good luck today! I am sure you will be fine smile
  • Posted

Also, you would notice it if it was protruding. I am a size 10 and mine protrudes so much I look pregnant.

It is large though at 12cm by 9cm but it grew very quickly and even when it was vastly smaller it poked out when I lay down, a hard lump to the right hand side of my belly. I hope that you get the answers that you are hoping for. I think if it was a very big cyst and you are quite thin you would notice it.....its unlikely you would need a laparotomy if you only have small cysts.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.